SURF BAGS

Rate this topic

LIsurf631

I have a Flatlander three tube with the lower bucktail pouch.  Jamie's system is incredibly well thought-out and the build quality is phenomenal.  You could buy one if his bags when you are 20 and fish it hard every season and I'd bet it would still be great twenty years later.  Maybe I'm wrong but when you actually feel one and use it...I don't think anyone would really say that was far-fetched. 

There are so many options he gives.  I chose to have a leader pouch on the inside of the main plug bag...but there are various options on where that can be located.  He can put on double the drainage grommets on the bottom if you are constantly underwater.  Grommets can be stainless or brass...etc.

The bucktail pouch is attached with Velcro and two sturdy buckles.  You can take it off to save weight for a night if you want to.  Fits sluggish and some shads pretty well too.  You can also take the bucktail pouch off and put it on your belt elsewhere.

The Buddy Lok system is fantastic.  Buckle clips on front and back edge of bag where you click on various accessories if desired.  Camera holder, water bottle holder, pork rinds holder and separate one-tube.

I don't use any if the accessories but adding on an extra tube when you need it is great.  Again, you can take that extra tube and just use it in your belt elsewhere.  I do this when wetsuiting and want to be lightweight.

I think for the average guy that a two-tube is fine and then add the Add-a-Tube with the Buddy Lok when you need three tubes.

Once you see and feel Flatlander bags you will likely just decide to start saving up your money.

One added tip...you can get small lighter weight plastic tubes to fill in the voids all around the big tubes.  This REALLY helps eliminate barrel-of-monkeys.  The smaller tubes fit mag darters and canal-rigged SPs perfectly.  Also, in the dark, you know exactly where those plugs are without rooting around in a big tube with five other plugs. 

PVC sink drain leader thin-wall white pipe from Lowe's...cut to size...is about 1 1/4 inch diameter and fits big plugs well.  Smaller plastic like cigar tubes are good for SPs...duck tape them all together and poke drain holes in the bottoms if they are not open pipe.

20190126_094407.jpg

(Above)

Here are the sink-drain-leader infill tunes (white) and little 1" clear plastic tubes (with SPs in them)

20190126_094840.jpg

Here's the Add-a-Tube with Buddy-Lok and buckle clips.  The Buddy Lok has a very heavy duty Delrin keyhole slot male.

You push the male portion on your accessory, into the female slot on the bag and twist 90 degrees...this locks it in place and the buckle then secures it.

20190126_094907.jpg

Here's the Add-a-Tube with inserts I added.

20190126_095017.jpg

Here's the bucktail pouch taken off...you can see the heavy band of Velcro at the bottom and the buckle to secure the flap cover.

20190126_095107.jpg

I'm holding one of the side buckles that , along with the Velcro, secure the pouch to the bag.

20190126_094341.jpg

The main three-tube loaded up

20190126_094810.jpg

Here's a close-up of the Buddy Lok attachment on the bag.

20190126_094942.jpg

Inside the bucktail pouch.

20190126_094145.jpg

Bottom of the bag showing drainage grommets.  I did not elect to get the additional row of grommets.  This set-up drains well enough.

20190126_094848.jpg

If you want to use one of the Buddy-Lok accessories off the bag and on your belt...you need this accessory.  It slides on your belt and has the required female keyhole and buckle to accept any of the accessories.  So a water bottle holder, camera holder or Add-a-Tube can go either in your belt or in the bag.  This kind of versitility is a real value to me.

20190126_094722.jpg

Add-a-Tube mounted on the belt.

(Below) the back side of the bucktail pouch with belt loop.

20190126_095025.jpg

Edited by blackdogfish

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

Supreme Surf small tackle bag.

Take a peek at it on spamazon.

Got it for christmas.   I took the tubes out of it and put a small double sided plano tackle holder.  The extra space to the side has a round tube I put a few pyramid sinkers and a buck tail or two.   This is for Red drum surf fishing this febuary.

Come striper season, ill put the tube holder back in it and make it a surf bag.

About 8 bucktails, a AVA jig or a deadly dick,  a sebile shad or weighted tsunami shad, a cordell popper, and a bomber.

Leader material, tacticle anglers clips, pliers, hook sharpener, and glue for knots.   It all fits, barely.

On 24/01/2019 at 11:51 PM, Mack26 said:

I have always just looked at a bucktail pouch as a bit overkill. Now, I’m not saying that they don’t have their place, and in locations such as Montauk, it might be the only thing producing in a set of conditions. That’s different. But, carrying a pouch containing as many as 10-12 bucktails, and I’ve seen guys with upwards of 15, seems to me to be just unnecessary weight. Thats just me. And as Scooby eluded to, carrying and not using for some time, these bucktails will very quickly be rusted out. The allotted bucktail slots on most bags are sufficient, unless you are constantly hanging bottom, in which you may need to rethink your strategy. Just my .02.

Mack

My philosophy is pack as small and a slight as I can. Montauk a place I spent a few falls fishing. 15 Bucktails May seem a lot. But in reality that is not always the case.

So I carried white and chartreuse and a few in black. There was a need to carry. 1 Oz  1.25 Oz 1.5 Oz , 2 Oz and 3 Oz .  Often I would be miles from my truck.

Under the light and fishing close to bottom you can lose the color and weight of the killing bucktail very quickly if you pack too few. Then you have tangles and cut offs to deal,with.

Mike