LIsurf631

SURF BAGS

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Correct me if im wrong but is ODM the only company you can get a stock 3 tube bag with a bucktail pouch on the front? I find it hard to believe.

Flatlanders has like a 4 month lead time, MAK isn't making bags right now, and the only thing Gearup has right now are bags with no front bucktail pouches...

Let me know if there are anymore companies out there

5 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Guy I know had bucktail pouch sewed onto his gear up at some shoe maker/repair guy ... came out real nice , been debating adding to mine for a while 

Thanks for the reply. That could work.

I like to keep my bucktail pouch separate or a little higher keeps em from soakin and rusting...

To each their own but that's my preference

7 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I like to keep my bucktail pouch separate or a little higher keeps em from soakin and rusting...

To each their own but that's my preference

I was thinking that I can wear the bucktail pouch separate on my belt somewhere? 

I downsized my gear a few years back, just sick of carrying way too many plugs that never came out during a session. Started thinking about areas and locations, and carrying only what I think I need or will use under the conditions I’m fishing. Love my GearUp bags, especially the 2 tube, which I find can hold more than enough plugs for the night, and at least 6 bucktails, which for me, is plenty for a session. And the truck is usually never that far away to change out, or restock. Most bags have at least a few slots for bucktails.

5 mins ago, Mack26 said:

I downsized my gear a few years back, just sick of carrying way too many plugs that never came out during a session. Started thinking about areas and locations, and carrying only what I think I need or will use under the conditions I’m fishing. Love my GearUp bags, especially the 2 tube, which I find can hold more than enough plugs for the night, and at least 6 bucktails, which for me, is plenty for a session. And the truck is usually never that far away to change out, or restock. Most bags have at least a few slots for bucktails.

i guess you're right its just hard to tell from the truck sometimes what the bait profile is out there. I guess I can do a 2 tube gearup and a bucktail pouch if i need. Thanks for the reply

2 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Guy I know had bucktail pouch sewed onto his gear up at some shoe maker/repair guy ... came out real nice , been debating adding to mine for a while 

Its getting harder to come across bags in general...aquaskins elite hunter is a quality bag but they have a 4 or a 2 no 3s in the elite category...

I was looking for the same thing couple years back. Just wanted 3 tube bags with bucktail holder ended up waiting about 10 months for my Flatlander 3 tube bag but it was worth every penny. I can carry some needles few metal lips with my bucktail most of the night and I don’t feel like it’s to heavy. I agree it’s a long time to wait for a bag but in the long imo it was worth it

I have always just looked at a bucktail pouch as a bit overkill. Now, I’m not saying that they don’t have their place, and in locations such as Montauk, it might be the only thing producing in a set of conditions. That’s different. But, carrying a pouch containing as many as 10-12 bucktails, and I’ve seen guys with upwards of 15, seems to me to be just unnecessary weight. Thats just me. And as Scooby eluded to, carrying and not using for some time, these bucktails will very quickly be rusted out. The allotted bucktail slots on most bags are sufficient, unless you are constantly hanging bottom, in which you may need to rethink your strategy. Just my .02.

Yea that many bucks is def over kill for me .. I carry however many there are slots in the gear up 3 tube . And sometimes toss a few in the lil pocket inside if I plan on tossing heavey ..  the pouch on the front for me would be more ideal for few bags of soft plastics and jigs and few swim shads .. guess really an eel pouch would be mo better without the loops 

I just broke down and ordered an ODM 3 tube. I like the Bucktails, tins, shads on jig heads out front. Inside the bag where the tubes are I constantly prick myself in the dark. I’m sure are I get older the 3 tube with Bucktail pouch will get to be a strain on my shoulder but we shall see

11 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Yea that many bucks is def over kill for me .. I carry however many there are slots in the gear up 3 tube . And sometimes toss a few in the lil pocket inside if I plan on tossing heavey ..  the pouch on the front for me would be more ideal for few bags of soft plastics and jigs and few swim shads .. guess really an eel pouch would be mo better without the loops 

Thats exactly my set up on my belt, GearUp 2 Tube and Eel Pouch for soft plastics and Sluggos.

4 hours ago, LIsurf631 said:

Correct me if im wrong but is ODM the only company you can get a stock 3 tube bag with a bucktail pouch on the front? I find it hard to believe.

Flatlanders has like a 4 month lead time, MAK isn't making bags right now, and the only thing Gearup has right now are bags with no front bucktail pouches...

Let me know if there are anymore companies out there

Jamie makes his plug bags one by one, by hand in the USA.ODM is made in China. Can you wait until Spring for a bag? I certainly would. 

Flatlander is by far the best custom bag. 

9 mins ago, ged said:

Jamie makes his plug bags one by one, by hand in the USA.ODM is made in China. Can you wait until Spring for a bag? I certainly would. 

Flatlander is by far the best custom bag. 

Would you say that Gear-up is a close second ?