FishinMortician

Just Me Messing Around....

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Sure is cold.....ain’t it ?

Im bored today. Too windy, too cold, no real fish, so why even go fishing ? I thought you might be bored, too, so I share.

Hooks are 1/0 and 2/0, eyeball beads are 10 mm plastic, no name/ Knotless knot on the hook.

495E4948-FE58-4495-B229-57E6DDA44791.jpeg.b9ec5055e06df87dea77ecdc53f2ad14.jpeg

These are kind of fun to make up on days like this. Easy enough to do, very strong, and they would be baited with sand fleas, crab knuckles, pompano grubs, shrimp. A small section of FishBites added and those baits suddenly become cocktail baits. If you bait them up just so, you can get a piece of bait larger than these small thin wire hooks could ordinarily function with. 

Carp fishermen use the Hair Rig, where the bait is tied to the hook and the fish eventually swallows the hook later. Wish I had seen them before I invented them, but didn’t and so another idea someone already thought about. Anyways, the bait can dangle down below the hook, without really reaching up the shank much at all, and the fish just kind of suck the whole mess in with a quick pump of the gill plates. From there I want a super sticky sharp tacky hook to begin the slide back out. Little devils. Hook proud and wide open, doing its thing. Whitling get up to about two pounds and pompano to about eight pounds. 

If im catching the little ones, it works.

Steelhead fishermen will tie their thin leader onto a hook, with a bead on the line a few inches above the hook, no bait added. Fish takes bead, and line, into his mouth. Line slides, hook gets dragged towards the mouth, and secures the jaw outside in. Which is kinda cool if you ask me. So...... bait can be in front of hook, on the hook, or behind the hook. Which is best, well behind the hook of course.

So if I trim my baits, and form them, I can have that little hook dragging a decent sized piece of bait. Marlin charter boats do this. They call that bridling their bait, where a live baitfish looks like he is kissing the bend of a large circle hook. The hook proud and wide open to do its thing. They say it works beautifully.

Man......you really are bored aren’t yah ?

36660EA0-9D23-40A9-ADA8-834979EA48AA.jpeg.8d508c7728670b9805b3b9907f419cc1.jpeg

How about some leader storage.

The advantage of using a system is evident when you have five rods out. If a rig fails, quick replacement gets that rod back out there. Trade sinker, rig bodies, or leaders, everything is similar in how it connects. Loop knots are very convenient, and I make them up faster than any other knot I can tie, and they always pass the test, when I test them. They also offer an easy to fiddle up connection, quick and easy. 

I read that the King Sling Loop knot is the strongest loop knot. So.....I played with tying them up. Then I had the notion to design a tool to form this knot. Did that, made me a small tool, then I do scovered the $4 crochet latch hook tool, and it was on. I laugh a little that I came up with something no one else had already thought about long ago. LOL

No one ever asks me about my avatar. It’s a sinker I made up from an idea I had.

Top picture shows a normal sinker, only there is a bead there and a small section of wire sticking away at an angle, that holds the baited hook right up against the lead. This is a sinker with a built in clip. You can purchase sinkers that have built in clips, but ghastly things happen to your credit card. You can add clips further up and away from the lead, but these impart some amount of wobble to the whole mess, which makes the sleek sinker wobble and lose distance.

27D4BFCF-353B-445E-9EB7-B8F88142D57A.jpeg.35015fc928b43fc9907459d6c04b8e57.jpeg

I attached the built in sinker to am IMP to show the difference. IMPs are slick, and I was impressed to see the clever way they modified their simple clip. But more wobble......pretty sure anyways. 

Second picture shows sinker post impact with the water. Bead simply slides along the tail wire, as it moves the other end of the wire clip escapes from being trapped by the bead, The short end of the wire flips from holding the hook to loosing the hook, and away the baited hook goes.

E6B6B243-DD44-4301-AC2C-3AF3F895B483.jpeg.9c48c9fd858368b6e6b53305a38869f0.jpeg

Only fished this design once so far, but results were excellent. Had one hook loosed during flight, and one that remained clipped up. Easy for me to adjust the tension because I control how much of the longer leg of the wire I choose to capture with the bead. Simple.

Now I can fish clipped baits across different rigs, never concerned with how it will get clipped, or if the lengths work out. So I make my distance rigs with a minimum of stuff now, no needless items, other than beads of course. LOL

Single hook paternosters really will fly. One day last year I think, on a deserted beach with a light breeze from the side, I pitched a baited rig over 160 yards. Can’t remember exactly, could have been 20 more. Anyways, I have a goal of throwing a baited and viable rig 200 yards using my spinners. So I choose to consider every aspect, from my hands to the tip of the sinker. Gathering small advantages together, and then organizing them into a system. Everything working, doing it’s share to get the stupid thing to land way out there. Maybe even reach Madagascar one day.

I enjoy reading threads on designing rigs, and try to imagine how I could modify or perhaps just adapt a few things. Well after many experiments, the simple and proven, single hook clipped down paternoster wins the distance contest. It just also happens to catch a lot of fish, too. The tricky part for me was all in the simplification decisions, that I  decided I needed to make. The considerations in rig, it simply has to reach the fish, then it has to entice the fish, all the while remaining as foul resistant as possible, then offer an assist during the hook up, and finally play the fish well as I reel in the prize of the day. So it’s complicated, these things being delivered by a rig with fewer and fewer components. Challenge

i also enjoy reading threads about bait. Hands down great bait on a poor rig catches better than bad bait on a great rig. But......and it’s a big but.......if I already use good bait, is it smart for me to sit back and ignore how it is being presented ? Maybe someone will start a thread about baits. That would help me with the boredom.

Anyways, I wanted to start something completely ridiculous, and look, here it is. I plan to add more of my trivial ideas later, and maybe you’ll play nicely here, so. as to encourage me. I’m not a great fisherman. Some can catch fish in a mud puddle. Me, well I have to work at it a little harder is all. It’s been a great ride so far, and it’s where I’ve found most of my friends. My girl laughs and thinks my beads are sexy. So I’m good to explore and create and discover and adapt to the things I notice. I share with folks, because I can never know when it might make a difference. This is a great forum. 

My distance rig

Single hook paternoster. Main rig body is 200 lb test hard mono. Leader is 20 lb flouro, with 2/0 mosquito hook and beads. Bait dangles below from hook, right where the beads will lay upon it. Leader is about eight inches long, with a no name knot on the hook, loop knot where it grips onto the main rig body. Overall, the length is about eighteen inches.

Short and stout gets it out there.

Why the heavy mono people ask. Well if I use 80 lb test, it stretches during the loading of the rod, which necessarily moves the leaders connection point, leaving the leader loose once the rig body recovers mid flight. Also, the heavy stuff resists fouling. It also behaves a little better to sliding leaders, with hard mono being best choice. Still remains very stealthy as bait is far enough away that fish doesn’t see rig, just the sinker.

Clipped ready to cast.

53C2B04C-4385-4D94-9B00-F1AA20BD5153.jpeg.a7f2471cbbc769d9809925c5bff708c9.jpeg

After splashdown

F2EBF071-47A9-4DDE-B565-A42B01F241B2.jpeg.9349f72c063bd0694ec72009e7ef69f2.jpeg

D6FBE000-8550-4817-83CD-7CFA69B6AFF0.jpeg.bed6f4bd2967cde20a0b772f5d06857e.jpeg

Here , look above bead, you can see the loop knot attaching to the rig body,  and a rubber bead which grips the main rig body, but slides under pressure. Leader can spin around the rig body which prevents most all tangling. Fishes leader about half way up the rig, which leaves it with good presentation for bottom feeders. Fish gets on, the leader connection and bead travel towards the crimp, where they eventually rest while the fish is fighting. Offers some play in doing that.

Easy to restablish the rig after landing, re baiting and tensioning up for cast. Or if leader is shredded, loop the old one off and loop new one on. This shown hook and bead combo would be a great choice for any of the baits, but clam, shrimp and sand fleas would be good choices. Puts eyes on them.

So this rig does the things a rig should be expected to do. Carries well through the air by being sleek and compact, resists tangles, presents a good bait, and assists with the hook up. It does this trick by providing a little slip before the fish notices the sinker is attached. He can work the baited hook in a little deeper perhaps, but my thought was he would have it a little longer before he starts thrashing. In practice, the hook sets are usually dead center bottom jaw. Rarely misses once taken in. Tricky for a little fish to spit back out, then gets elastic on him before he feels the sinker and realizes there is an issue with this snack.

It also really likes that dumb sinker and sits in tight behind it. I’ve been using this rig with normal bait clips for a few years and my best fish seem to come on it. I also fish a modified fish finder and a two hook paternoster, which are great rigs and manage plenty of fish, just my best pompano come on the distance rig. 

Some don’t think a distance rig is even necessary, and it isn’t unless you can cast for distance. Even so, this rig shines on windy days where getting any distance is a challenge. It flies better even than the main line dragging behind when cast in those conditions. Still it’s a nice arrow in my quiver no matter the conditions. 

Bluefish biting today ? Loop off the flouro leader, add a steel leader with a larger hook in the same fashion, and cast cut baits. Easy to adapt. You could use a swivel on the main rig body and make your leader connection there. Wouldn’t be a huge penalty in loss of distance, but it would be something.

If all I was concerned about was pure distance, I would forego having a rig at all. Loop a leader directly to the tail wire of the sinker, above the bead, attach sinker to shock leader, bait up and cast. The bait will flap a little as it goes, but spends most of its time in the slip stream if you keep the length to about five inches. Bait tight to sea floor, where fish will be straight onto the sinker right away.  Not the best situation, but can be effective.  Sometimes, I’ll just add one of these short leaders to a sinker when I’m fishing the regular double dropper rigs, making three hook rig. Made some leaders up that were just flies, no bait,  to act like a lure during retrieval’s to check bait. A teaser of sorts. Learned that from SeaLevel. It doesn’t slay them but it helps i think.

Well chili is about ready, and the Sun is going to be down soon, and then it’s real cold. I hate Florida, too cold.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Commonly used down here for bait fishing is a dingle-dangle. Basically a hair that is independent of the hook.

Can be made up from wire, with or without foam flotation, or braid with a solid ring at the bottom end.

Can make big ones for baiting up with large baits or little bitty ones for sand fleas or squid baits or what ever you can think of.

dingle dangle foam floatation.jpeg

Dingle dangle wire.jpg

Dingle dangle baited up wkith yellowtail head.jpg

Dingle dangle baited up.jpeg

Edited by ZAFisher

So I’ve enjoyed my new release, and think it’s a winner. Wanted to try my hand at camouflaging my sinkers.

F92AA89C-7F42-419D-83C0-D985EF22739B.jpeg.c3811dc1da0eea0e6d9d8c688c2e7dda.jpeg

167183C7-AB7D-4C69-8AFA-9D6DA9D8A770.jpeg.aa45169132f0c67dbda37c859c8a5628.jpeg

Army Brown Crinkle powder paint, which needs to be properly baked or no crinkle developes. Hard to manage a thin coating, too. But it seems like a good start. Used 1/16” shrink tubing on grip wires, and it will certainly cut down on the flash of the metal. If somebody eats them, I’ll add hooks. Lol

Worked on my rigs a bit, too. I developed a system for the hook length to slide along the rig body when a fish samples the bait. It starts by making a loop in the end of the hook trace, then by forming a Powergum stop knot, or a UNI with an elastic cording kids use to make craft jewelry, fashion that knot around the loop. 

C6077F4F-AFA7-4FB8-A810-6A44E30B48AC.jpeg.bd36e28968bd9325e92a64f0fcbf8d56.jpeg

C92EF016-4745-4666-9B5C-043035A53B7E.jpeg.cc49026a83e32a98aeedb24f1bbacc9b.jpeg

Next ease the loop over the top of the rig body.

3A52C7D0-970D-4A3A-88A8-04B654B7583A.jpeg.a482ce999250f1e0461cc194f178860a.jpeg

And slide knot over, capturing rig body

1C2A79A4-A499-495D-B00A-35D9181C6ABD.jpeg.5b4b40a2b66f2c031f94bfb0f048c2ab.jpeg

This allows the hook trace to travel along the rig body. The knot creates grip so that this hook length can be engaged into an IMP, or other type of bait clip. Like this.

37FD76F1-10ED-4CEA-B65C-3D2FCCDD9688.jpeg.3df870b9a05b9d264a88e9cef183d5e0.jpeg

This morning it dawned on me that simply looping over the rig body might not be such a great idea if that Powergum knot fails. So easy fix was to slip very small bead onto loop, on top of that knot, then place loop next to rig and bring hook around the rig body and through, forming a girth type of connection. This allows the connection to be tighten harder, while using the slickness of the bead to provide the slide. Easy stuff.

This offers two wraps and Powergum knot can fail, and nothing bad occurs. :)

CB63B556-590A-42BB-9DB1-FFE5F5B57F22.jpeg.700b653ff6f93b6efb12ed26815dc1b2.jpeg

Anyways, getting gear ready for the Spring run down here in Florida. Been designing rigs to experiment with, made some changes to old rigs. I plan to post some more of my stuff here and questions are always appreciated.

Camo sinkers?

Here in the panhandle the latest craze is painting sinkers orange or chartreuse to attract the fighter squadrons of Pompano as they cruise by. Water color would be a factor in this.

Thanks for the interesting thread.

ZAFisher likes mono legged sinkers. Says they actually do hold, and saves the entire rig when they get into rocks. I can see how they pull better out of rocks, but the hold well enough part I ain’t so sure of. So I made me one.

D43B0713-3FF8-4385-B074-0A4B3FC43DC7.jpeg.5699822fae3a69658d49e21b02906e21.jpeg

First try is always crude, I know. Always just figured the people who made them had drilled out their moulds. I actually like my moulds, so that ain’t happening. Then I had an idea.

7F3D181C-4F7F-48C4-8958-18C61B1E332C.jpeg.53920c2dec5e509d34a97997fe68c486.jpeg

I used a hacksaw to cut a cross into the face of the sinker, about 1/2” deep. Used screwdriver to separate each section apart, like cutting a pie into quarters. Added mono down into grooves, aligning mono pieces according to the natural bend. Hammered shut the four pieces into one. This captures the mono securely. My attempt could have gone better with regards to the tip being flat. Should have used the vice. Easier cut, better tamp down job.

Anyways gonna let my rock fishing friends test them out. See if grips really do hold.

:)

its not gonna hold mortician, if on sand

it will just make things worse than having just lead, because it will rise it above the bottom for current to catch

the only type of soil it would be better than wire is deep mud

and maybe gravel, rocks

In sand they don't work well, would rather use a wire grapnel for strong current or no wires if there is minimal current / I want to walk the presentation down tide.

But over broken rock and reef they work well, the heavy mono spikes stop the sinker wedging itself into crevices

A355BEA6-A538-4CE7-A463-585A151ED64F.jpeg.e8c9c37e222466ecc1d7f0eae6f2a4dc.jpeg

Messing around again.

Paternoster style rig, using clear tubes to freeze a Tee swivel for the leader attachment. Added a piece of tubing that carp fishermen use to that swivel and it extends the leader out and away in a very favorable fashion.

Solo clip with split ring and swivel. Circle hook on a loop knot with a new bead. It has a small section of silicone inside it, and this grips the line. This allows me to place the bead wherever I want it and have it stay right there.

Made up a double dropper rig, using small swivels for the leader attachments. Then slipped these carp fishing sleeves over this, and it turned out nicely. I was able to fashion up longer leaders without fouling. The sleeves hold the leaders out and away to prevent fouling by wrapping around rig body.

Those anti-tangle sleeves work very well.

What dia mono did you use for the body that you got it through the T swivel?