The Salty Fisherman

Should I Be Throwing Live Eels?

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Ive defiently had some annoying times trying to rig a live eel on a hook standing on a rock in the dark, expect to lose some occasionally they are professional escape artists. I use 7/0, 8/0 live bait hooks, everyone has different prefrences. 

2 hours ago, jrzyripper said:

I use eels at night in a spot that has ALOT of current and rocks. I don’t have a lot of success using them, but something about feeling their nervous wiggle while on the hook makes me keep buying them. I use a 9 foot mojo 3/4-4 oz rod and a VS 150 and I just drift them in the current

For short storage I use 2, 5 gallon buckets. Put one bucket in the other. Drill holes in the bottom of the top bucket to drain their slime and ice melt.  I throw a bunch of ice in the top bucket with a crappy towel between the ice and eels. They mellow out nicely for hooking them. I use Gami or VMC live bait hooks 6 or 7 size. 

Thanks for the reply.  I've got a rod similar to that with a VSX 150 as well.  Hopefully that will work fine.  And as for not having much success using them, catching any fish is an success in my book.  :)

I keep my eels that I plan to use in an old soft cooler with 2 frozen water bottles and a rag. The rag soaks up the liquid/slime and the frozen water bottles drop their core temperate so they stay alive longer and are easier to handle when you go to use them.

39 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

How long can they live in a cooler like that? few hours? sounds like a smart idea.

Usually a few days as long as the frozen water bottles stay frozen. It doesnt work well for more than a day in the summer

3 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I keep my eels that I plan to use in an old soft cooler with 2 frozen water bottles and a rag. The rag soaks up the liquid/slime and the frozen water bottles drop their core temperate so they stay alive longer and are easier to handle when you go to use them.

This is the exact set up I use.  I've kept them alive in my fridge with twice daily water rinses to get the slime off of them for about 4 to 5 days.