The Salty Fisherman

Should I Be Throwing Live Eels?

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Another fun fact about eels is that they are pivotal in the growth (and fertilization?) of  freshwater mussels. The small mussel particles (think egg) suspend in the water and are filtered into american eels gills as the eels swim by. They cling onto the eels gill rakes until a certain life stage where they can support themselves. They use the flow of water to bring nutrients and such to support growth.

Without the american eel our rivers would not have mussles. Mussels are a vital part of a rivers natural filtration system. 150 years ago the delaware, schuykill, and other waterwars were lined with mussel beds. Something killed them off and paired with the turn of the century, the industrial revolution, and insufficient manmade filtration systems, our rivers were incredibly toxic until the last 10-20 years. Thanks to the clean water act and such, our rivers are healthy and clean, but a reintroduction of vast mussel beds is the most sustainable way of keeping our rivers clean. 

I learned this on a visitation to the fairmount water works 2 years ago where they were in their first phase of a new project of growing mussels in a lab. At maturity they planned to release the microscopic mussels into the schuykill. The female researcher that was working at the time told us that they were having an extremely hard time handling the slimy eels and it took them multiple tries to find the correct topping to their pool filled with eels. She would find an occasional eel wrapped around their computer cords or stuck in drainage holes.

I’m talking bout these muthaf**k1n snakes in this muthaf**k1n drain!

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, Pad_Crasher said:

It's appropriate to ask these questions rather than wasting hours and $$$ experimenting. We're living in the golden age of information and efficiency after all. There's a ton of videos on YouTube from Skinner. I've never done it and I don't understand how a fresh water eel doesn't immediately die in the salt, but whatever. It definitely catches monsters from what I've seen/read.

Hard disagree.  Experience is key... go buy some eels, bring some rags, and sling some eels.  If you think you can become proficient by reading a forum you are dead wrong.  You can get an idea of where to start for sure, but the rest is up to you.

I will say, I prefer a slower rod, about 9-10 foot.  A fast rod and you'll cast off the eels at a much higher rate.

Edited by Bluetaildragger

16 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Hard disagree.  Experience is key... go buy some eels, bring some rags, and sling some eels.  If you think you can become proficient by reading a forum you are dead wrong.  You can get an idea of where to start for sure, but the rest is up to you.

I will say, I prefer a slower rod, about 9-10 foot.  A fast rod and you'll cast off the eels at a much higher rate.

Well I extremely hard disagree. Why the hell would you not research and understand what gear you should use and how you should use it before going out? Absolutely nonsense argument. Experience is key but if you don't do some due diligence before going out, you're wasting valuable time.

I've never iced fished. Should I just go to Bass pro and grab what I think I need and go where I think I should go, then hope for the best? Of course not. I'm definitely going to ask around, read up on things, talk to a guy or two at a time shop, and then go put my time in.

Edited by Pad_Crasher

17 mins ago, Pad_Crasher said:

Well I extremely hard disagree. Why the hell would you not research and understand what gear you should use and how you should use it before going out? Absolutely nonsense argument. Experience is key but if you don't do some due diligence before going out, you're wasting valuable time.

I've never iced fished. Should I just go to Bass pro and grab what I think I need and go where I think I should go, then hope for the best? Of course not. I'm definitely going to ask around, read up on things, talk to a guy or two at a time shop, and then go put my time in.

So emotional. You can read how to fish an eel until your blue in the face, you will never learn how to fish an eel until you have done it, failed, and figured on your own the correct way. Sure, reading can help, but nothing replaces experience. I wonder how anyone caught fish before the internet.:rolleyes:

Edited by IsmailG

3 mins ago, IsmailG said:

So emotional. You can read how to fish an eel until your blue in the face, you will never learn how to fish an eel until you have done it, failed, and figured on your own the correct way. Sure, reading can help, but nothing replaces experience. I wonder how anyone caught fish before the internet.:rolleyes:

Haha, to each their own! Everything I do is based on efficiency. If I can get some knowledge before I do something, I do it! Nothing wrong with that folks! It applies to everything in life. If you don't know how to build a deck and would rather waste hours screwing it up than getting a head start doing some due diligence, that's on you. Same thing applies to fishing, I'm just perplexed people don't see this lol. Gotta put in the hours and Lord knows I've put in thousands but I commend OP for doing some due diligence and not going out like a blind squirrel!

So how did this become a discussion on research practices? Where's the talk about fish catching eels and gear used to do it? 

Edited by Crabba

45 mins ago, Pad_Crasher said:

Haha, to each their own! Everything I do is based on efficiency. If I can get some knowledge before I do something, I do it! Nothing wrong with that folks! It applies to everything in life. If you don't know how to build a deck and would rather waste hours screwing it up than getting a head start doing some due diligence, that's on you. Same thing applies to fishing, I'm just perplexed people don't see this lol. Gotta put in the hours and Lord knows I've put in thousands but I commend OP for doing some due diligence and not going out like a blind squirrel!

Pad, you gotta marry the two. Information helps with the learning curve but there’s absolutely nothing that can beat experience. You can catch fish when their thick by reading John skinners bucktail book or taking ismailgs eeling advice, but I guarantee you won’t be catching when it’s slim pickings. If you learn through failing and recognizing successful efforts then you will be prepared when **** hits the fan and that southwest wind shifts to northeast out of no where. You can’t compare building a deck to fishing haha

6 mins ago, Crabba said:

So how did this become a discussion on research practices? Where's the talk about fish catching eels and gear used to do it? 

There’s a million different posts on here and the topics been beaten to death

1 min ago, DragonsLax48 said:

There’s a million different posts on here and the topics been beaten to death

I guess. What hasn't been? I guess I just see it this way.  If people aren't interested in the topic then move on. Lots of babbling on the last page or so. No help to anyone in regards to original post. Like this post I just wrote

Just now, Crabba said:

I guess. What hasn't been? I guess I just see it this way.  If people aren't interested in the topic then move on. Lots of babbling on the last page or so. No help to anyone in regards to original post. Like this post I just wrote

it’s officially winter

When it's January, and there's no fish asking questions is fine as well as encouraged. 

Its smart. Gather all the info you can so you can look back once you get out there and increase your odds.

That said, should I be throwing live eels??

3 hours ago, Pad_Crasher said:

Read all you want, nothing wrong with it.  Gear questions make sense before you make a big purchase.  But have fun gripping that slimy sucker on slippery rocks in the dead of night and trying to remember how that rando on the interwebs told you how he hooks it!

On 1/25/2019 at 3:27 PM, BrianZ said:

Amreican Eels are catadromous  live in fresh spawn in salt , opposite of anadromous. 

Interesting that you mention that as the Delaware River is packed with eels. One of the weirdest things I ever saw was a huge dead eel with a sunny in its mouth. Stupid eel literally bit off more that it could chew and choked to death.

As for fishing live eels, well, they are expensive, you have to carry newspaper with you to grip them as they are slimy as heck and blues love to chop them in half. Years ago I had very good results fishing Ultimus eels smeared with smelly jelly. I would reel it in slowly so that it just ticked the bottom. Sometimes the strikes were very faint, other times, BANG! I managed to really tick off a meat fisherman while fishing the tip of an inlet jetty at night on an incoming tide. I would throw the eel up current, slowly reel it over what was clearly a hump and the bass were stacked up facing into the current. He was getting squat and I was getting quite a few keepers. Ah, those were the days.

I usually bring three eels out with me, and I’ll stuff a matching number of old socks in my bag one sock for each eel. If you only bring one rag/glove whatever to handle them it gets slimed up and useless after one eel.  I carry them in an insulated water bottle holder made out of the same material that a soft cooler bag is made out of. Has a zipper on it. I hook the first eel at the car before I head out and fit the other two just right in the holder

I use eels at night in a spot that has ALOT of current and rocks. I don’t have a lot of success using them, but something about feeling their nervous wiggle while on the hook makes me keep buying them. I use a 9 foot mojo 3/4-4 oz rod and a VS 150 and I just drift them in the current

For short storage I use 2, 5 gallon buckets. Put one bucket in the other. Drill holes in the bottom of the top bucket to drain their slime and ice melt.  I throw a bunch of ice in the top bucket with a crappy towel between the ice and eels. They mellow out nicely for hooking them. I use Gami or VMC live bait hooks 6 or 7 size.