scooleen74

Anyone use AirFlo for SmallMouth/Fresh Water fishing?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Or for that matter Monic?  I got a 7 wt recon for xmas from my awesome wife and need a line for this rod.  Sort of tired of the PVC lines (RIO SA) have gone through most of them except shark skin stuff and at the end of it all im feeling like i want to try something else.  I use airflo for an 8wt int. line and I love the line.  Low stretch i know, but picks up less stuff , hasnt cracked in years of salt use, additionally the water up here in Upstate can be sort of cold and the RIO stuff doesnt cast well in colder water.

Thanks!

I am a huge fan of Airflo lines and I think it would be perfect it your talking Intermediate. I have never had an issue fishing it in December when everything is cold.

If you’re talking floating I really can say one way or the other but based on your comments on your Rio lines I can’t see what you you have to loose by going with Airflo for the floating as well.

Hopefully someone who uses one will chime in.

I've been using an Airflo Beach intermediate for freshwater fishing...I have had good results with it.  Shorter head line, 33 or 35 foot, but I mostly fish from a kayak so that works best for me.  I haven't used the ridge striper intermediate in freshwater...they also make the 40+ line for 7wt rods, which has a 36' head.

Airflo made a line called the Delta, maybe still makes it, that I like a lot for dry fly fishing in lakes.

It is light for its rating and not super front loaded (probably a triangle taper) so it's a fairly delicate presentation line.  They also make or made a double taper line that was cheap, floated well and was exceptionally durable.

In freshwater or salt where there is a lot of junk in the water, the ridged versions of the Airflo lines can pick up crud and are not so easy to clean.  Still I like them for their durability over most Rio lines.  There used to be a wholesaler out of the U.K. where you could get Airflo lines cheap.  Not in business anymore.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tackle Bargains. Might still be in business.

With your strong $ great time to buy from the U.K.

Sorry just tried to find them. But failed. They have been going for some time. Looks like it finally happened. Shame.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

You can probably find some of the discontinued lines on the auction site.  There is another place that occasionally sells Airflo lines cheap out of the UK...Fishtec Direct.  A Google search should find their store on the auction site as well as their regular site.  You'll spend more for shipping, but I've gotten discontinued lines from them for between $ 30 and $ 40 shipped (USD).  

Airflousa web page has nice presentation on all AF lines where you can look lines defining many parameters but only one at a time. Velocity is cheap "beginner" line but it has nice overall taper and it was very durable when I abused it 

Esa

Think im going to settle on the bass/muskie line, 89 bucks is a lot but based on how much i like the 8wt int. by airflo i think its worth it, this will consolidate the 6 and 8 into one rod.  Thanks for the input.

I have about fifteen airflo lines, 40+ floating and sinking, streamer max longs and short, etc. I really like their lines, very good durability, haven't experienced any cracking at all.

Matt_man and others thank you for the input I settled on the Airflo Streamer Max and am currently looking for a reel (started in another thread).

Used to be an Airflo guy (years ago) and almost every line cracked or fell apart on me within a few months.  They're great out of the box, but they just don't last.  Stick with SA and Orvis lines, you'll be pleased.