sunobskt

Peacocks in FL

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

In Brazil it was a fast retrieve using topwater vs shallow running and color was generally black orange -halloween or clown-white with various colored dots. I will be fishing lakes near west palm in april. Is it best to just fish it like i would for lmb or pick up the pace if i hope to catch peacocks? Love to throw soft plastics, floater vs texas. Will they hit those much? I would greatly appreciate advice on artificials and colors. Thanks. 

Iv got em on plain old flashy colored yo zuri x raps, cast and retrieve, vary the speed until you find what they like.

Never got em to bite rubba

Check out Gill reaper lures on the east coast side, Miami area. i just ordered a bunch of pea lures from him to try in March when I'm down in Naples 

What lb test do you like the best for Peacocks and do you need fluorocarbon ? 

do they have good eye sight ? 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:59 AM, ccb said:

I noticed the spot on his tail?  Are they crossed with a Redfish some way? 

Nope, they are just a large species of cichlid. They are related to Oscars, which you might be familiar with as they are popular aquarium fish.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:19 AM, acesover said:

Are they that far north? 

They are not from what I understand.  I think the farthest north you can get em is Lake Ida, not too far south from West Palm though, probably 30 minutes or so.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:12 AM, ccb said:

What lb test do you like the best for Peacocks and do you need fluorocarbon ? 

do they have good eye sight ? 

You don't need anything fancy. these fish are roid ragin.

I use anything from 8lb spinning to 14lb baitcasting depending where I fish. If no noticeble obstruction like tree branches, spinning rod with a mepps black fury, buzz-bait, or whopper plopper.

Bait cast is all snagless stuff. anything that splashes but doesn't hang up.Whopper Ploppers and scum frogs are good.

No need for braid unless you prefer it. No need for a leader either. These were caught somewhere behind MIA...

If you do leader-up, may be good because tarpon are in these waters.

20160907_100138 (1).jpg

20160907_090410 (1).jpg

Good topic guys and lots of great infor i can't wait to get down there and get this one off my list... I keep going down but damn it i'm alway chasing the large snooks down there. Once you get that fever its hard to shake :waah:

On 2/10/2019 at 0:30 PM, Drako said:

Good topic guys and lots of great infor i can't wait to get down there and get this one off my list... I keep going down but damn it i'm alway chasing the large snooks down there. Once you get that fever its hard to shake :waah:

really good guides that know the canals down here. 

Any names?   

1 hour ago, SallyGrowler said:

really good guides that know the canals down here.