bae7837

Fly Rods on Plane

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

I just flew to and fro Florida with a 9wt in a metal tube and had my fly wallet in my carry on with about 20 flats flies.  I did not have problems with either.  I was very worried about the flies getting pulled from my bag at security but checking bags was not an option. 

I don't care what the printed rules are on the TSA or the individual airlines website.

It still comes down to the discretion of the TSA guy at the scanner, or the airline gate attendant.

Having carried on rods for years, I was stopped at a MIA gate (AA), after going through the TSA checkpoint!

I figured I'd make a big deal about it -until they called over the State Police. I ended up handing over the 4' rod tube and had it gate checked.

I check everything now, rods, reels, flies all fit in with my clothes in an old Cabelas roller bag.

Are you feeling lucky...?

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/24/2019 at 10:08 AM, Mike Oliver said:

So what happens when you walk into the air  craft wth a rod tube and the Cabin Crew say sorry Sir?

Mike

I have always carried on, including trips to USVI & turks and caicos without issue.

My last excursion to Panama was a a different story, however.  On my way home they forced me to check the rods & all reel parts at the last minute citing some blunt object sign on the wall.  The most annoying part was who they did let through:  one guy with a guitar, another  with a tennis racket, and a child with a razor scooter.

Edited by sbcbmx112