bae7837

Fly Rods on Plane

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

i just flew home to alaska and carried on a rod tube with 2 3 piece switch rods in it, one rod is 10' the other 11'. No questions asked in TSA or by the crew.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wish both the airlines and TSA were more consistent with carry on regulations and restrictions. Although the TSA website clearly states " Fishing rods are permitted in carry-on and checked bags however, passengers should check with the airline to confirm that the fishing rod fits within size limitations for carry-on. Like other high value objects, you may wish to pack expensive reels or fragile tackle that doesn't pose a security threat (small flies) in your carry on". You are still at the mercy of the individual agents present at the time and I have had them tell me that those regulations can change by the minute with security level changes and without notice. Knowing that and checking in all your tackle to be safe is still a crap shoot because certain remote destinations only have one flight a week and if your luggage doesn't make it on that flight, something all too common, you're screwed. 

Edited by sidelock

I flew for the FIRST time a few weeks ago. I was paranoid about my gear so I purchased 2 Cabelas Travel Rods(8&10) and 2 Redington Behemoth Reels w/spare spools. Relatively cheap investment so I can hop on a plane for quick FL trips in winters. Worked out well. I carried on. Going to the Keys next week bringing the same set up and a carry on with more clothes. If I go on a more serious fishing trip I will have to figure out how to get my other gear there. Just check it and cross my fingers I guess..

D27BCEE6-B557-430F-BA36-585DEF89296A.jpeg.497951d55a05b2116dcd136b7bf579be.jpeg68EAB29C-043D-45FC-84C7-32736CB2C861.jpeg.4eb31c9cd3c307d18a517f0443761a3e.jpeg

Edited by hipkvw

52 mins ago, ccb said:

Did you put your hooks in your check in bag.

Not sure if this was meant for me but I had a box of 25 or so flys to 4/0 in my bag.

i flew february to the keys with a fishpond dakota case with three rods reels and spare spools Randall tackle as a carry on. was no big deal.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:43 PM, alaskansteve said:

i just flew home to alaska and carried on a rod tube with 2 3 piece switch rods in it, one rod is 10' the other 11'. No questions asked in TSA or by the crew.

Steve do you remember how long the tube was?

On 1/30/2019 at 2:42 PM, bhorsley said:

because of the lines and backing is my thinking --- you aint going to carry on your reels coming home form Mexico or Guatemala --or at least the experiences I have had 

What if you strip the line off your reels?  I used to strip the line and backing off my Charlton reels (due to their value) to ensure I could carry on the reels whenever traveling within the US. 

4 hours ago, formula1 said:

What if you strip the line off your reels?  I used to strip the line and backing off my Charlton reels (due to their value) to ensure I could carry on the reels whenever traveling within the US. 

I think that would work but what a PIA with all the backing on most reels. 

30 mins ago, bhorsley said:

I think that would work but what a PIA with all the backing on most reels. 

To a degree yes but not too bad.  I used to bring a portable drill with me and chuck up a spool to pull the line off the reels, then hand wind them back onto the reel.  If I only have to do it for the return trip (from Baja since going down there it's okay to have reels as carry on) then it's really easy as all I have to do is strip the line off with the drill and spool, and fly home with reels as carry-on then put the backing onto the reels again at my leisure before my next trip.

1 hour ago, formula1 said:

To a degree yes but not too bad.  I used to bring a portable drill with me and chuck up a spool to pull the line off the reels, then hand wind them back onto the reel.  If I only have to do it for the return trip (from Baja since going down there it's okay to have reels as carry on) then it's really easy as all I have to do is strip the line off with the drill and spool, and fly home with reels as carry-on then put the backing onto the reels again at my leisure before my next trip.

I am not sure you can even carry the reels on --to Los Cabo.  Don't really know as I have never tried.  If I tried I would check my spools and carry on the other half.   Anyway flying to Baja on the 27th--will checking my gear like I have been doing.  

Edited by bhorsley

I've been told that the issue with the lined spools is that the lines look just like "energetics" (speaking to an engineer, that translates into explosives) on a scanner. I've also been told that there is no longer an issue that way and that current scanners have better abilities to discriminate. 

On 4/6/2019 at 8:59 PM, Uncle Stu said:

Steve do you remember how long the tube was?

40 inches, sorry for the late reply i been busy doing earthquake cleanup around the house.

The line has been said to be threat and we had to check additional bag after being rejected from the security control in Barcelona airport. I guess shoe laces should also be checked. Idiotic stuff. I always have my stuff in checked baggage nowadays.