bae7837

Fly Rods on Plane

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

No problems with carry-on to Ireland.  However, it's highly subjective in the E.U.   Small wooden swords and umbrellas incapable of stabbing a jellyfish have been confiscated.

Can’t speak for those countries still in the EU but if you are flying from the U.K. then you are  best advised to check rods into the hold. Preferably inside your bag as most airlines want to charge you $100 for a seperate rod case both ways. Been paying this tax for a while now and it kinda grates.

mike

7 hours ago, BNickW said:

Is there a standardized max tube size for domestic flights? I have a two piece 9’ that I’m not sure they would allow.

my two piece 9-10' rods are problematic on Alaska Air, since their max size is 50." I was forced to check one in and it hurt because it was my third checked bag... $75! Those rods are now reserved for local use only, and my 4-piece Echo flies for free as a carry on.

55 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

my two piece 9-10' rods are problematic on Alaska Air, since their max size is 50." I was forced to check one in and it hurt because it was my third checked bag... $75! Those rods are now reserved for local use only, and my 4-piece Echo flies for free as a carry on.

Ouch. $75 is steep.

Unless you aren't checking any baggage I just don't see much advantage to not checking your rod tubes if they will fit into your checked bag. Not like you are saving any time or money and its a lot more convenient than having to carry them around airports.

But IF you are going to try and carry them on then be smart and get to the airport way early just in case somebody in the check in chain says nope go back and check that.

Typically I pack the entire kit in a large duffle and check it. The spey rod is a bit of challenge but it too fits.  I do tend to pack the rods and reels in the middle sandwiched with waders, jackets and hoodies. My boots are at the ends of the bag. The cases are really tough, so I don’t worry too much. I do this about 6x a year. If you think the airlines are rough, try sending your kit up on a mule train. That is rough but my gear made it. 

I recently read that flying into Mexico is not an issue. The issue ( a recent change) now  is when you are coming home you are not allowed to have any rods of any size or reels in you carry on when trying to leave the country. I assume if your luggage will accommodate your rod tube you have a fallback position, if it won't fit then it could be a crap shoot it arrives safely when home you get if allowed to check it when it won't fit in your luggage.

Actually I've had no trouble to/from MX (especially on Alaska Air) keeping up to four 4 piece rods (combo of fly and spin) in the overhead.  The issue is that customs only allows a total of 4 rods into the country.  If you have some rods packed in checked (like a duffel) bag, and some in overhead carry-on you might get away with it but it's a risk. 

I've carried three 10.5' to 11' surf rods in a long PVC tube (checked) plus two other 4 piece travel rods (carry on) and got away with it but wouldn't recommend.  The customs agent and TSA equivalent person in MX were being friendly (helps to speak Spanish) and even asked me where I was going fishing, and what I was trying to catch.  Also the travel rods were packed so they looked like one rod.

some of my guys carry on 4 pc rods in a case coming home form Baja.  Reels etc must be checked.   I carry on my cameras so I can not carry on my rods 

2 hours ago, bhorsley said:

some of my guys carry on 4 pc rods in a case coming home form Baja.  Reels etc must be checked.   I carry on my cameras so I can not carry on my rods 

Why must reels be checked?

1 min ago, junior44 said:

Why must reels be checked?

because of the lines and backing is my thinking --- you aint going to carry on your reels coming home form Mexico or Guatemala --or at least the experiences I have had 

1 hour ago, bhorsley said:

because of the lines and backing is my thinking --- you aint going to carry on your reels coming home form Mexico or Guatemala --or at least the experiences I have had 

I've heard this again and again...stories about guys having to pull all the line off an 80W.  What do they think that you can do with the line?  I'm tempted to carry a ball of string in my carry-on next time I fly, just to see what happens.