bae7837

Fly Rods on Plane

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Depends on where I am flying. If I am within the US then I still carry on. I have a case that holds four - four piece rods. But if I am flying outside the country then I put my rods inside my checked bags. Its just too hit or miss outside the US as to carrying on stuff. 

In fact my last trip out of the country was to Argentina and they state right in their baggage rules that NO sporting equipment can be carried on.

Ouside US or Canada, always check in.

Don't do it and learn it the hard way if you want...

Have a safe trip !

^..^

I've carried on inside US, Puerto Rico and Bahamas with no issues, but you never know. I was stopped trying to carry a tennis racquet into Canada once, not sure what they thought I was going to do with that...

I carried on to Belize last year. Have heard stories of guys having to leave Van Staal pliers behind coming back from Bahamas.  Tarpon flies sometimes catch extra scrutiny with TSA. Also, have a friend that checked his yeti cooler (international flight) and never saw it again. I use the Allen Cottonwood fly rod travel case for carry on. 

Two of us flew in and out of BC last year carrying oversized spey rod tubes without issue. These were 4 piece and just too big for our checked bags.

As long as we could get them into overhead bins we were all set. Most of the bins had a space in the back where we could slide the tub in as they have a space for the door hinge to move. The tubes do take up 2 bins if you can picture that.

Basically from Seattle north, they all knew what a fly rod tube was.  My biggest concern was leaving Logan with the tube, but since it was 5 am when we left, we had no issues. 

Since I have not had that happen yet, I am curious to see what others say. But I am always aware that it can happen at any time and would have to include it with the last second checked items.

I used to fly with two piece 9 foot from CA to Maine. Had four of them in an orvis rod bag with the reels in the front zipper pouches. Laid horizontally in the overhead fine  but it’s been a few years. 

As previous poster mentioned I too had pliers in a carry on from Boston to Fort Lauderdale. No problem on way there, but Fort Lauderdale said no and took them. Thank god they were cheap. 

I've fly domestically often with a 42" rod tube and have only had one occasion when I had to check it. This happened when I was checking my big duffle at the ticket counter and the agent saw me carrying the tube and told me I had to check it. I'm sure that if she had not noticed it I would have been able to take it onboard. There is a small closet compartment by the cockpit for the crew's jackets, etc, and I frequently have been allowed to store the rod there (the trick is to remember to pick it up when I de-plane). Otherwise the tube fits in the overhead bins. My other rods are all travel rods that are small enough to fit in my checked luggage. I never carry on flies, hooks, or any sharp pointed object or tools -- I always pack those in my checked bag. I have a small rolling backpack that I carry on that has my waders, boots, rain gear, and a few other soft items.

TSA is funny. I was flying to Charleston and split up my gear. I had my rods in the travel bag and the rest in checked luggage. WHen it went through the machine the TSA guy calls me and says "Hey I think you forgot to pack your reel!" Must have been a fisherman...

14 hours ago, bae7837 said:

anyone have issues carrying fly rods in Sage Ballistic rod tubes or other carry on alternatives?

I flew to Costa Rica with that exact tube and there was no problem - they or coming back.  On the domestic puddle jumpers, they made me check it - but checked baggage was just piled up behind the seats, so it wasn't a big deal.