MassMino

GW's from 2018

Rate this topic

126 posts in this topic

40 mins ago, rst3 said:

How bout Tony Stetzko?? Who used to deep-wade GW central? Wonder, if he was still around.. if he'd have changed his bar-and-trough wading practices by now

Exactly. Years ago Tony showed me a photo of a huge striper a client lost to a shark. Easily a 40lb fish that was chopped off right behind the gills.

If any one has seen feeding great whites slide right out of the water onto the beach , grab what they were aiming for and manage to slide back in to the water . These great whites were completely out of the water , with 100 percent of there body on the sand . it is more then scary to think that at least during the daylight hours you would have a chance to get out of the way, ,but at night it is another whole story . If you see seals around you best stay more than a few feet away from the edge of the water , so if you do see the dorsal you can run like hell and evade it. WE have been seeing more activity each year along the East end of the canal and Town neck beach . it is only a matter of time before we see an human attack , instead of the blue fish, stripers and or seal swimming our waters

Carl you've actually witnessed GWs leaving the water entirely and beaching themselves in pursuit of prey?

BTW they're were two attacks on the cape last year, so it's no longer a matter of time.

who here, personally,  has seen any GW ‘s close to the end of the east end of the canal and or town neck beach? Any news articles?  

17 mins ago, MassMino said:

who here, personally,  has seen any GW ‘s close to the end of the east end of the canal and or town neck beach? Any news articles?  

We fished with one last summer in that area and I do know of one who was fishing for bass had it cut in half as he was lifting it out of the water That was near the entrance to Old harbor We often see one or two swimming around the beach down off Barnstable. They had some sort of floating devise that they could detect those they had put a responding devise into. I have seen over the years some rather large blue sharks at the bulkhead , but non inside , but who knows where they are swimming from one end to the other ,. I suspect that is why there was one late in the year at the west end , it came from the east end on a west tide change feeding on fish.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Carl you've actually witnessed GWs leaving the water entirely and beaching themselves in pursuit of prey?

BTW they're were two attacks on the cape last year, so it's no longer a matter of time.

Bobby,                     Sharks have always been intriguing to me and I have been able to watch many documentaries on them as a result of this interest.  It was while watching one of these documentaries that I was able to see the skills they have in attacking the prey they are in search of . I seen it in more then one research project where the great white and in both cases were a fish of great size over 12 feet slide right of the water , grab a seal and slide back into the water . Both times I saw this different attack process the great white was completely out of the water with a few feet of open space between the water and the beach. to See how powerful and at the same time very agile gave me a whole new prospective on what they are capable of doing. also having a few close encounters out in both Cape Cod bay and Nauset swimming around the boat make one appreciate that I fish out of  metal boat . I can recall a time a number of years ago where this huge white, at least 20 feet came up right in the middle of a fleet of speed jiggers fishing for bass. WE had a lobster boat among the group and he followed it right out of the fleet doing different things with his engines in hopes of scaring it away. It did work , but any one on a boogy board out on the waves is living on borrowed time as far as I am concerned when you mix the wave action and the great white in the same space.  

5 hours ago, Kones1 said:

I wonder how many people get bitten this year. We should start a pool. An over/under kinda thing. 

Put me down for 3 attacks this year. 

3 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

If any one has seen feeding great whites slide right out of the water onto the beach , grab what they were aiming for and manage to slide back in to the water . These great whites were completely out of the water , with 100 percent of there body on the sand . it is more then scary to think that at least during the daylight hours you would have a chance to get out of the way, ,but at night it is another whole story . If you see seals around you best stay more than a few feet away from the edge of the water , so if you do see the dorsal you can run like hell and evade it. WE have been seeing more activity each year along the East end of the canal and Town neck beach . it is only a matter of time before we see an human attack , instead of the blue fish, stripers and or seal swimming our waters

12 hours ago, z-man said:

12 hours ago, z-man said:

We should probably set a time parameter say July 1 to September 30. Has to be on the Cape , backside or bayside. I’m in for 5. 

31 mins ago, Kones1 said:

We should probably set a time parameter say July 1 to September 30. Has to be on the Cape , backside or bayside. I’m in for 5. 

I'm going with my lucky number 4.

18 hours ago, Kones1 said:

I wonder how many people get bitten this year. We should start a pool. An over/under kinda thing. 

I'm going with two...…….

Is there any stipulation of the victims being tourists or locals???????????????

6 mins ago, b-ware said:

I'm going with two...…….

Is there any stipulation of the victims being tourists or locals???????????????

Possibly a second pool ? But I’m thinking the locals know better by now.