MassMino

GW's from 2018

Rate this topic

126 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

The sharks are actually still around.  Vec surf boards in orleans posted a few pics of fresh dead bloody seals with huge shark bites taken out of them about a week or two ago. One in Truro and one on nauset I think.... 

Very interesting.  Was the specific location where the seals were found identified? 

This time of year ....is there a chance it might've been an orca? 

24 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Very interesting.  Was the specific location where the seals were found identified? 

This time of year ....is there a chance it might've been an orca? 

Mabey.  It was posted on vec surfboards instagram account.   There’s blood all over the sand around them too. So must have gotten bit close to shore and then escaped onto the sand and bleed out

Wow.  Looks shark-y enough to convince me.  Has to have happened in shallow water, as noted .... perhaps GWs move more because of food shortages then water temperatures?  Or was it a very, very, very late-season migrant who missed his plane? 

So after reading a bunch of articles about the 2 attacks last year the fatal one was 30 yards from shore on a boogie board. The other was 60 feet from shore .  Seems pretty risky to me being out that far knowing there around. Definitely would not say they were being smart about it.

Interesting stuff. So essentially when tourist season ends, so does media coverage of GWs. Perhaps we're under the false assumption that the sharks departure coincides with the end if tourist season. All the while the GWs could be flying below everyone's radar.

However I would think that even with an unlimited food source such as seals, the cold would eventually drive them either south or offshore.

IIRC for the last few years several of the sharks that carry acoustical tags have "pinged" around the cape, RI and Montauk in Jan. & Feb. IMHO its just not as interesting to the press when there aren't a lot of people o the beaches.

I'm pretty sure GW are well documented year round. I'm almost sure I read that in one of Skomal's scientific articles.

Now google is so clogged with GW press stories, it's too tedious to dig for.

Right now is both pupping and mating season for seals. Perfect timing for opportunistic predators looking for weak or distracted prey.

Water temps are in the 40s F. I can't imagine the Pacific Ocean water temps are much more where GWs hunt sea lions.

From Shark Insider.....taken from 10 amazing facts about GW's.

Great white sharks are warm bodied. Unlike humans who were cold-blooded, a sharks temperature can vary widely. Generally, organs are About 13° warmer than the surrounding water temperature. They are able to keep their internal organs warm by using and transferring muscle heat.Dec 28, 2014

On 1/25/2019 at 4:23 PM, bob_G said:

In 1974 I had a bass bit in half in Quicks. I was fishing an umbrella rig on wire. Hooked a double, a bass and a blue. As I'm bringing them in something almost pulls the rod out of my hands. Brought in a nice blue and a bass chopped off right behind the gills. So GWs may have been around even back then.

Friends of mine used to  fish Quicks all Summer long for years, mostly for fluke.  They brought handguns with them after a couple of encounters with GWs.   That was probably early 80s.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:58 PM, rst3 said:

imo, "Swimming" is not safe. Too deep. Too risky.

Wading and splashing around up to your knees? Maybe waist??

Prob ok.

I think Greg Skomal said something about he wouldn't let his kids swim there deeper than knees or waist or something like that.

Bottom line: If their feet cant touch, they're in mortal danger

Dont most shark attacks happen in 3 feet or less of water? I feel like i remember that from somewhere

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, flylikabird said:

From Shark Insider.....taken from 10 amazing facts about GW's.

Great white sharks are warm bodied. Unlike humans who were cold-blooded, a sharks temperature can vary widely. Generally, organs are About 13° warmer than the surrounding water temperature. They are able to keep their internal organs warm by using and transferring muscle heat.Dec 28, 2014

Ah, possible typo?

I'm fairly sure humans are warm blooded. :)

Edited by bob_G

I copied and pasted the "fact".   Yea clearly a editorial mistake on their site.   Clearly it should've been "are", instead of "were".   

I did a quick search on the conversation at hand and that's what I found to be germane to the conversation.   :idea:

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, gulino12 said:

Dont most shark attacks happen in 3 feet or less of water? I feel like i remember that from somewhere

This is [prob, have not checked] true. But most of those are chomps from, say, bull sharks.. maybe 5-7ft long... who frequent the extreme shallows comfortably.

Whites like it a little deeper. Though realistically...not much. Imo, I'd say whites' killing zone is like 4-15ft.

Edited by rst3