MassMino

GW's from 2018

Rate this topic

126 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TLap21 said:

You guys are soft.  Not going fishing because of sharks?  C'mon maaaaan.  

Saltwater is their domain, and seals aren't the only reason there are sharks.  There have always been sharks around Cape Cod, and hopefully there always will be.  Do you not go in the woods because of a bear attack?  Mountain lion?  

You're more likely to die by your refrigerator than a shark.  Better get them out of your kitchen!  :laugh:

I think I'm a shark humper.

I like sharks. I don't want humans harmed but I like them.

I already dropped upwards of $500.00 on the boat tour.

Probably spend at least that locally, spread out, on my shore hunt.

Haven't been tempted to make the long drive out all these years until now.

I'm a shark humper but my toes been well dunked in seawater. 

We won't bodysurf there as we did among the blacktips in Fl though.

We ain't skairt, but we ain't stupid neither. 

On 1/23/2019 at 0:49 PM, MassMino said:

Heres a pic from a GW that came up and grabbed a customers fish he was reeling in.  The GW took half and swung back around for a second swipe..  

This actually happened 2x on the boat I was working on.  I heard of a bunch of others also that this happened to.  Anyone here have and vid's or pics?  I will post the video from this once I can find it.  We are fishing off Monomoy most the time.

IMG_2205.JPG

Crazy pic. Any luck finding the video?

Lemme try and simplify what a Shark Humper might look or act like.

1.  A Shark Humper would be a person who says after (hypothetical scenario) a fatality by a GW at lets say Wollaston Beach, in Quincy Mass. during a summer heat wave around mid afternoon that the person who died had it coming to them.   They would say that  because said victim was in the shark's domain, they deserved to die because they were stupid.  Some Uber Shark Humper's would then also point out it was a form of Darwinism.  The victim should of gone to the MDC pool or taken a shower.

2.   A Shark Humper would be a person who might be a biologist who cares more for his experimental subjects than his actual species.       

Here's just  2 or 3 quick examples to me that would exemplify the types of finger pointing that surely would be classic definitions of Shark Humpers.  ;)

It's not the clinical definition but definitely the pure definition of a Shark Humper!  

This person does need clinical help though.   :laugh:

How deep of water was that guy in when he was attacked? I’m looking at going to north of highlands campground in late August for a week with the family. Gonna flyfish bayside mostly as far as fishing goes. My kids love to swim and obviously I would not want them in any danger. I imagine it’s safe if you stay in real close I know anything is possible but what do you guys think about the situation there?

Posted (edited) · Report post

imo, "Swimming" is not safe. Too deep. Too risky.

Wading and splashing around up to your knees? Maybe waist??

Prob ok.

I think Greg Skomal said something about he wouldn't let his kids swim there deeper than knees or waist or something like that.

Bottom line: If their feet cant touch, they're in mortal danger

Edited by rst3

8 mins ago, rst3 said:

Prob ok.

I think Greg Skomal said something about he wouldn't let his kids swim there deeper than knees or waist or something like that.

I totally understand that . I would not let them in that far. I don’t go in that far in the outer banks of assateague either. I had 10 ft tiger swim by my kayak right outside the breakers south of the point one year and that was all I needed to see.

13 hours ago, rst3 said:

Prob ok.

Agreed. 

I take Skomal's word on GWs.

I would add, swim in good vis only and have your own family spotter on shore with polarized sunglasses. Do not rely on the lifeguards. 

Get TF out if the spotter plane circles over head.

Watch the birds. They will follow sharks. If you're fishing you're already aware of the birds. They are your friends. 

Do NOT assume you are safe just because no seals are near by.

I personally wouldn't use seals as an indicator at all, but I'd rather be one small target among many big tasty seals than the lone creature that gets their attention. 

Any place a bar creates protected pools are great. Just be aware of troughs where a big fish can get in.

17 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

How deep of water was that guy in when he was attacked? I’m looking at going to north of highlands campground in late August for a week with the family. Gonna flyfish bayside mostly as far as fishing goes. My kids love to swim and obviously I would not want them in any danger. I imagine it’s safe if you stay in real close I know anything is possible but what do you guys think about the situation there?

I'd really rethink this. Epic predators like sharks don't always announce their presence. They just arrive, and don't depend on the classic dorsal fin scenario. I almost learned that the hard way once while bone fishing in tbe Bahamas. A huge bull shark materialized out of nowhere as I waded across a small channel. He had me. If he chose to attack I was done. For some reason he didn't?  I'll never forget his yellow predator eye staring at me as he passed with 6 feet of me.:scared:

The sharks are actually still around.  Vec surf boards in orleans posted a few pics of fresh dead bloody seals with huge shark bites taken out of them about a week or two ago. One in Truro and one on nauset I think.... 

On 1/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, mikez2 said:

I'd be much less worried wading.

I know it's totally different but wading around sharks in Florida the thing that struck me was they usually didn't seem to notice me.

Swimming or surfing. That's what would scare me.

Especially surfing.

The GWs we saw on the shark tour were all cruising outside good looking wave breaks.

There were no seals that day but it was clear the sharks hunt those breaks. Sometimes inside the first or second set.

They noticed. 

A gent who wouldn't care to be identified, who used to post here, felt he was being watched one night in Jamaica Bay, as he waded waist-deep. It bothered him enough to go to a nearby pier and climb a ladder. Once on top, he saw three sharks, 5' - 7', clustered around the base of the ladder. 

I agree that swimming or surfing in GW territory is probably more dangerous. That said, I've also read on the 'net that your aftershave has been known to frighten buzzards.