MassMino

GW's from 2018

Rate this topic

126 posts in this topic

I'd be much less worried wading.

I know it's totally different but wading around sharks in Florida the thing that struck me was they usually didn't seem to notice me.

Swimming or surfing. That's what would scare me.

Especially surfing.

The GWs we saw on the shark tour were all cruising outside good looking wave breaks.

There were no seals that day but it was clear the sharks hunt those breaks. Sometimes inside the first or second set.

3 hours ago, MassMino said:

Holy moly, i wade sandy neck a lot.  aghhhhh lol.

The one we saw breach was off sandy neck in sandwhich as well. They have figured out a hooked Bass is an easy meal so they were following the commercial fleet around

31 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

The one we saw breach was off sandy neck in sandwhich as well. They have figured out a hooked Bass is an easy meal so they were following the commercial fleet around

...one day, had 7 cut offs by GW's, using pogies…..fought 3 for approximately 5-15 minutes (musta been foul hooked outside of mouth) just for fun, till finally I socked up drag, broke braid...this was commonplace amongst the commercial fleet for several days east of the East End of Canal; I finally said screw it and went somewhere else...most guys said "the hell with it" and went somewhere else....a number of guys also had bass cut in half; also wasn't unusual to see a GW broach right near a boat chasing a hooked bass; a friend right next to me had one jump higher then his gunnel when landing a fish...actually put scratches in the side of his hull.....really crazy this past summer in the Bay and outside with GW's...

Posted (edited) · Report post

In 1974 I had a bass bit in half in Quicks. I was fishing an umbrella rig on wire. Hooked a double, a bass and a blue. As I'm bringing them in something almost pulls the rod out of my hands. Brought in a nice blue and a bass chopped off right behind the gills. So GWs may have been around even back then.

Edited by bob_G

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/24/2019 at 10:47 AM, mikez2 said:

I want to see one from shore. 

Actually seriously contemplating a vacation around it.

I was fishing a jetty on the South Shore of CC this fall and one swam w/in a rod length of me,15ish feet in length,swam past a 13' Boston Whaler anchored nearby and was at least 3'+ longer,the body girth was what really struck me as impressive,wider than the BW by a good bit,we didn't wade the rest of the trip,someone I know up there who knows such things(on this forum if ya choose to speak up) said they come close to shore once the water temps drop below 65deg

He swam up outta deep water but was cruising the jetty in 5-6' of water.

I've been to AK and seen bears as big as trucks and this thing  made them look small.

Edited by slip n slide

On 1/24/2019 at 1:13 PM, mikez2 said:

I'm currently focusing the Truro area based on last season.

I am interested to hear of other shore spots.

Understood that may cross into spot burning territory so general info, hints and PMs welcome. 

Family vehicle access to beach parking is top intel.

Edit: ok, beach parking asking too much. I retract the request.  Be nice.

Head of the Meadow, Ballston and High Head beaches would be the best chances in Truro. 

5 hours ago, slip n slide said:

He swam up outta deep water but was cruising the jetty in 5-6' of water.

I've been to AK and seen bears as big as trucks and this thing  made them look small.

15ft shark in 6' of water only there for one reason: hunting. I'd be more freaked about a 15ft whitey in the shallows than spooking a grizzly pawing salmon on a waterfall. And I'd be chited-undees scared about that!

7 hours ago, z-man said:

Head of the Meadow, Ballston and High Head beaches would be the best chances in Truro. 

Absolutely the best shot from the sand. In August 2017 I saw several wounded seals in 2018 I saw many wounded seals and witnessed 6 being killed. Most were big fish in the 14-20’ range. I think any beach on the backside should provide some drama. It happens real fast, big splash lots of blood and then ——- nothing ! Gone like it never happened. All in seconds. And all were Within 50 yards from sand.  This past year they finally got people. We all said it was coming.  No more fishing from the yak no more wading out to reach that spot and swimming is pretty much done at least for me and my family. A shame really. All because that did nothing to manage this seal problem when they should have. This is just another example of mismanagement by the government. Can someone give me an example of anything they have managed correctly? Just effin one is all. Please. 

2 hours ago, Kones1 said:

Absolutely the best shot from the sand. In August 2017 I saw several wounded seals in 2018 I saw many wounded seals and witnessed 6 being killed. Most were big fish in the 14-20’ range. I think any beach on the backside should provide some drama. It happens real fast, big splash lots of blood and then ——- nothing ! Gone like it never happened. All in seconds. And all were Within 50 yards from sand.  This past year they finally got people. We all said it was coming.  No more fishing from the yak no more wading out to reach that spot and swimming is pretty much done at least for me and my family. A shame really. All because that did nothing to manage this seal problem when they should have. This is just another example of mismanagement by the government. Can someone give me an example of anything they have managed correctly? Just effin one is all. Please. 

Yah, that's the same area we saw them from the boat tour a few years ago.

Last year was crazy. Would have been the year to achieve my goal.

Only problem is that there would have been a decent chance I would have been there for the tragedy. That's the time and place I would have been targeting. 

Nonetheless I want to give it a shot in the coming season, hoping for a repeat on numbers, not bites.

My hope is to enlist my crew, have vehicles at different spots. Dawn patrol with spotting scopes, polarized filters, on bluffs, or on the beach fishing. 

I understand cell reception is not good so maybe the split group will be difficult. 

A huge part of my strategy would have been to watch for the spotting plane. You can see it from miles away and it's obvious when they have found a shark.

I just don't know if they will be out there this season. They finished the initial 5 year study last year.

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

A huge part of my strategy would have been to watch for the spotting plane. You can see it from miles away and it's obvious when they have found a shark.

I just don't know if they will be out there this season. They finished the initial 5 year study last year.

I think they'll be back with new studies after the fatality.

Quote by Kones1

"No more fishing from the yak no more wading out to reach that spot and swimming is pretty much done at least for me and my family. A shame really. All because that did nothing to manage this seal problem when they should have. This is just another example of mismanagement by the government. Can someone give me an example of anything they have managed correctly? Just effin one is all. Please."

Yea it get sadder by each year that they let this whole seal/shark equation really get totally out of hand.  For years you have "shark humpers" with their "it's their domain and you're stepping into their backyards" theory.    of these people wouldn't even dunk there toes in saltwater anyways, never mind actually putting serious time in or on it.   The other 5% may have been on or in the brine but were just in denial.   You watch on the internet as these 95% flip their conversation.  Fly  

11 hours ago, rst3 said:

15ft shark in 6' of water only there for one reason: hunting. I'd be more freaked about a 15ft whitey in the shallows than spooking a grizzly pawing salmon on a waterfall. And I'd be chited-undees scared about that!

The way it came onto the flat you could totally see it had killing in mind by it's body language, as though he was looking for something.Reminded me of how it looks when a couple big gator blues are tracking the small bass on your line ....right before it dies.

That was,by far,the biggest wild animal I've ever seen and not 10' from me.Although,the time I slid down a creek bank in AK to access a pool only to end up a short 20+' from a momma bear and her cubs was a lot closer call! Now THAT 'bout made go in my shorts!

45 mins ago, flylikabird said:

For years you have "shark humpers" with their "it's their domain and you're stepping into their backyards" theory.    of these people wouldn't even dunk there toes in saltwater anyways, never mind actually putting serious time in or on it.   The other 5% may have been on or in the brine but were just in denial.   You watch on the internet as these 95% flip their conversation.  Fly  

What does this even mean?

You guys are soft.  Not going fishing because of sharks?  C'mon maaaaan.  

Saltwater is their domain, and seals aren't the only reason there are sharks.  There have always been sharks around Cape Cod, and hopefully there always will be.  Do you not go in the woods because of a bear attack?  Mountain lion?  

You're more likely to die by your refrigerator than a shark.  Better get them out of your kitchen!  :laugh: