D_L

Stocking Foot Recomendation

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Picked up a pair of the Korker Buckskins.  Looking for a pair of stocking foot waders.  Leaning toward Simms.  Open to suggestions.  What is everyone using ?

Thanks D_L

I use Redington Sonic Pros.

I buy them online and get 3 years out of them, fishing the salt 100+ days per year. Its just a matter of time with all waders that they've eventually leak.

Used to be a Simms guy, but either my proportions have grown or their cut has gotten slimmer.

Likely a combination of both but I find all their products now to run small for the stated size.

I also need big booties. I ended up having to pay $75.00 on my last pair of Simms to have larger booties added.

SF

1 hour ago, Stonefish said:

I use Redington Sonic Pros.

I buy them online and get 3 years out of them, fishing the salt 100+ days per year. Its just a matter of time with all waders that they've eventually leak.

Used to be a Simms guy, but either my proportions have grown or their cut has gotten slimmer.

Likely a combination of both but I find all their products now to run small for the stated size.

I also need big booties. I ended up having to pay $75.00 on my last pair of Simms to have larger booties added.

SF

Will check those out.  Thanks

On 1/23/2019 at 7:01 AM, telecronista said:

Dryft wading pants

Gotcha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2 hours ago, telecronista said:

Thanks. I have yet to use mine, but everything about them looks solid. 

Is that so ? I looked at a picture online and they looked like they would leak like a sieve.

I assume the guy wanted a user recommendation rather than a buyer recommendation

My god folks, at least use something before recommending it. lol

5 mins ago, moocks said:

Gotcha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Is that so ? I looked at a picture online and they looked like they would leak like a sieve.

I assume the guy wanted a user recommendation rather than a buyer recommendation

My god folks, at least use something before recommending it. lol

I recommend buying them. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I won’t be past the first break, neck deep in ocean, so I figure they would be great ‘splash’ pants. If the pants don’t part the red sea then I will return them and buy some green knee-high Lacrosse boots. 

Edited by telecronista
C

I use waist high Simms stocking foots, but I try not to use them in the surf, unless its a bitter cold morning, because the surf is hard on all my waders, and none of them can take the constant abuse of sand and salt for more than a year or two. Mostly I wear neoprene paddling pants with flats or surf booties on the beach. And save my expensive wading pants for Alaska. Next time round, I may go with boot foot waders for beach use.

Okay I have to ask. Simms retail between $200-500. I use my equipment pretty hard and fish & hunt in them year round. I have in the past scraped and saved my money & bought high end waders thinking they must last longer, be built better/tougher and be more resistant to leakage, just to find they last a season (1 year maybe 1.5 years) just about the same as the cheaper stuff under $100 (Hodgeman, Froggtoggs, Bass Pro White River, to name a few) Besides a sign of status and how much money you have to burn, why would I shell out the extra $200-$400 bucks just to have the same leaky foot in a year or so? Someone convince me here?  Now maybe you only fish here and there and want to impress your friends or that river guide you will be fishing with in Montana, but if you are asking me, a very poor man and I speak from actually using them, I think FroggToggs Hellbender or Anura stocking foot waders or White River waders work just fine. Do they have bells and whistles, 20 pockets for my gear to be lost in, fleece lined hand warmer muff pockets, clips & lanyards, sheep down patch for my flies, built in shot gun shell belts, NO! But if you want a wader that keeps you dry & warm (what a wader is meant to do), I recommend a cheaper pair. For $500 plus I would want at least a 5 year no-question asked repair or replacement warranty. Now turn around and ask me if I was made of money or won the lottery tomorrow, would I still buy the cheap pair, honest answer, probably not...Simms it would be every year.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

37 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

Okay I have to ask. Simms retail between $200-500. I use my equipment pretty hard and fish & hunt in them year round. I have in the past scraped and saved my money & bought high end waders thinking they must last longer, be built better/tougher and be more resistant to leakage, just to find they last a season (1 year maybe 1.5 years) just about the same as the cheaper stuff under $100 (Hodgeman, Froggtoggs, Bass Pro White River, to name a few) Besides a sign of status and how much money you have to burn, why would I shell out the extra $200-$400 bucks just to have the same leaky foot in a year or so? Someone convince me here?  Now maybe you only fish here and there and want to impress your friends or that river guide you will be fishing with in Montana, but if you are asking me, a very poor man and I speak from actually using them, I think FroggToggs Hellbender or Anura stocking foot waders or White River waders work just fine. Do they have bells and whistles, 20 pockets for my gear to be lost in, fleece lined hand warmer muff pockets, clips & lanyards, sheep down patch for my flies, built in shot gun shell belts, NO! But if you want a wader that keeps you dry & warm (what a wader is meant to do), I recommend a cheaper pair. For $500 plus I would want at least a 5 year no-question asked repair or replacement warranty. Now turn around and ask me if I was made of money or won the lottery tomorrow, would I still buy the cheap pair, honest answer, probably not...Simms it would be every year.  

I agree, Lineside--I ask myself the same question. In fact, I've been looking at rubber industrial waders that are tough, heavy, and non breathable and asking myself... why not? If I have a long hike to the beach... maybe I can just carry them? Like you, I am always searching for an economic solution. That's why I often wear the neoprene paddling pants. Yes I get wet inside, but not cold. 

side note: I apply your philosophy to my saltwater spinning reels. If they're gonna die quickly anyway, from the sand and salt, why buy high end gear? My reels are Daiwa 2500 that cost $14 at Tackle Warehouse! It takes SIX of those to equal your $100 reel, and those six combined will last much longer. Granted, our biggest fish down here only run 24" and 5-6 lb. Keep that in mind. 

Edited by Uncle Stu