1badf350

Lets see those collectible reels and rods!

80 posts in this topic

Here's a vintage Goite Fly reel. About 5" diameter. I bought it because it looked cool. Going to place it in a case with some vintage metal. B

WP_20190327_12_15_25_Pro.jpg

19 hours ago, Ted Pietz said:

Hi,

Did that HL Leonard come from Wm Mills & Sons in NYC? Nice Hardy's too.

Ted

It wasn't marked as such . In the 70's I had Martin Keane look at it he placed it in the mid 20's early 30's . I have them marked from Bangor and some for Mills , 

The reason I asked id because Wm.Mills& Son were the owners of H L Leonard. They and a fire upstate NY at the factory and lost all of their Tonkin bamboo so that is when H L Leonard stopped producing rods. As a result their rods went way up in value. Tonkin bamboo had large sections between the "knots" if you know what I mean so made long sections that were clear wood. Because we did not trade with China at the time the source for the bamboo dried up and the rod factory shut down. I heard this told over and over again because I worked at Wm. Mills and Son back in the early 60's. They were located at 21 Park Place near City Hall and just off Broadway. Very high end clients. I learned very much there about fly fishing, flies and locations. This was before the war. Those memories helped me get through it.

Rods made in Bangor are very collectible also. 

Enjoy,

Ted

I fished one of these back in the 70s and had a chance to pick another recently.  It was my favorite combination for chasing brookies up at the camp.   I don't have the triangle tube it originally came in but that's all right.

yanRdcnATYa256OM%V%saw.jpg

I'm currently up in Tewksbury, Ma. Last night, in room trading, I was able to pickup a Billinghurst reel from 1876. I have been looking for a very special reel to display with my 19th century metal. I found it. I also found 6 pieces of 19th century metal, 2 books and 2 display cases. I'm getting ready to go down and set up for the show and I'm broke already. Perfect!!!! Bob

WP_20190329_21_17_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20190329_22_05_57_Pro.jpg

16 mins ago, 1badf350 said:

Bennie, did you mean Coronado?

I thought I get your attention,,,,:howdy:there's a guy on penn industry wants you to date his reels,,,,,:)

On 3/27/2019 at 0:22 PM, bob jones said:

Here's a vintage Goite Fly reel. About 5" diameter. I bought it because it looked cool. Going to place it in a case with some vintage metal. B

Aren't those big reels called  Mooching reels ?

Edited by ccb

On 5/1/2019 at 10:06 PM, TNoon2040 said:

VS400 new in original box

5F1BBACB-94B4-4BBA-9140-0B96F448D394.jpeg

I never noticed that the main gear has female threads and the handle post has male threads. 

On 3/27/2019 at 0:22 PM, bob jones said:

I have a reel very similar to that one. I'll have dig it out. I always thought it was an old British center pin reel but I never did any research on it