bruceinva

Musky lure recommendations

81 posts in this topic

42 mins ago, DaveC said:

Of course you didn't answer any of my questions. Somehow I get the feeling that you're pretty new at this.

I demonstrated earlier that the musky barrel roll when hooked is enough for line twist let alone a lure getting fouled 10 times during the course of the day. Bulldawg and medusas lures are notorious for this. I guess if you're catching them incidentally you're not going to get line twist. If you're boating multiple fish throughout the course of the day your line will be trashed. I guess I needed to repeat this since you don't read what I write.

This is my final comment. Fish the way you want. However, if you want to give people advice be able to back up why you're doing what you're doing. For the guys that aren't fishing at night, needing a gigantic leader because of rocks, fishing a skills at from,shore, and a whole host of other specific things I recommend using a barrel swivel that is ball bearing in nature with a 10 to 12 inch piece of 105 single strand wire or 100+ poind fluoro. That's my advice to the general population who decide they want to try Musky fishing. If they want a beastly backlash they can go your route. I didn't have to do a search to learn about musky lures.

Musky are not the only fish will barrel roll, and regarding that point I already replied to that arguement. Ever seen a channel cat spin, musky have nothing on them.

But, of couse you answered all my original questions with deflections and questions of your own.

You have yet to explain your primary reasons for using a BB swivel, namely that all musky lures mess line up by twisting the line.

Funny how that works.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/22/2019 at 2:17 PM, DaveC said:

Many, if not all of the lures twist and turn and without a ball bearing swivel your line will be a mess after one trip.

On 3/4/2019 at 2:19 PM, DaveC said:

With muskies you are using so many lures that twist and turn that YOU NEED a ball bearing swivel.  Double tens, glidebaits, jerkbaits, etc will all mess your line up with line twist without it.  If you are using a figure eight at the end of each cast, you are twisting you line even more.

Yeah, see Dave your primary arguement is that the lures mess up the line by twisting the line.

You have yet to explain how "all of the lures" twist and turn thus requiring the bb swivel.

I supported my method of rigging by simply pointing out that my line is not messed up from fishing with musky lures after one trip, or multiple seasons for that matter.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

39 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Yeah, see Dave your primary arguement is that the lures mess up the line by twisting the line.

You have yet to explain how "all of the lures" twist and turn thus requiring the bb swivel.

I supported my method of rigging by simply pointing out that my line is not messed up from fishing with musky lures after one trip, or multiple seasons for that matter.

You can have the last word.

Spring is coming and we can actually do some field testing of all the new lures bought over the winter. 

/I didn't buy actually but I still need to use some old ones I haven't worn out yet.

Just now, DaveC said:

Because you refuse to provide a reasonable explanation for shouting down my reason for not seeing a need for using bb swivels to prevent a crankbait from twisting my line due to your insistence that all lures twist your line bad enough to ruin you line after one trip?????:huh:

BTW, if a musky some day manages to twist itself off my lure right before I land it due to it spinning, I am ok with that. A musky brought to shore side is good as caught in my opinion, the bonus is a quick release without the musky ever coming out of the water.

You're not going to goad me into repeating myself. It's simple reading comprehension.  

Edited by DaveC

5 mins ago, metaliczombi said:

Spring is coming and we can actually do some field testing of all the new lures bought over the winter. 

/I didn't buy actually but I still need to use some old ones I haven't worn out yet.

I didn't get any new lures, but I did just get a couple new rods, specifically the new Okuma EVx Musky rods. I do miss the carbide tip top guide of the original EVx musky rods, but overall these new EVx's look great and have a great action.

25 mins ago, DaveC said:

You're not going to goad me into repeating myself. It's simple reading comprehension.

You don't need to repeat yourself, I took care of that for you by quoting what you said.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I have to correct myself I did buy a couple new bucktails, I just remembered.  I also picked up a Shimano 300 Tranx. Tested it a couple times before ice up and it is going to be a nice one.

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

You don't need to repeat yourself, I took care of that for you by quoting what you said.

:deadhorse:

2 hours ago, DaveC said:

2 hours ago, DaveC said:

4 mins ago, DaveC said:

:deadhorse:

Right.:rolleyes:

So, when are you going to actually explain how most, if not all musky lures twist and mess up your line if you do not use a BB swivel? I still want to hear this because you were the one who brought it up.

Those were your own words, remember?

Do musky lures cease messing up my line if I use them for stripers, walleye, and/or flatheads?

Will striper lures mess up my line if I start using them for musky?

What about pike lures?

If you would have simply said bb swivels reduce the likelihood of a musky shaking off your hooks while twisting I could have agreed, pointed out that I don't care if the musky shakes the hook because a safe release shore side is better for the fish then having to remove them from the water anyways (it is all about drawing the bite anyways, right?).

But, your primary reason for using bb swivels is a personal choice, not a necessity because most or all musky lures will not twist your line and mess it up in a single trip unless all you use is spoons and bucktails. And maybe you only use one rod and switch all your lures out on that single rod, but most guys I know, myself included, have a dedicated bucktail rod rigged seperate from the other musky rods.

12 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Right.:rolleyes:

So, when are you going to actually explain how most, if not all musky lures twist and mess up your line if you do not use a BB swivel? I still want to hear this because you were the one who brought it up.

Those were your own words, remember?

Do musky lures cease messing up my line if I use them for stripers, walleye, and/or flatheads?

Will striper lures mess up my line if I start using them for musky?

What about pike lures?

If you would have simply said bb swivels reduce the likelihood of a musky shaking off your hooks while twisting I could have agreed, pointed out that I don't care if the musky shakes the hook because a safe release shore side is better for the fish then having to remove them from the water anyways (it is all about drawing the bite anyways, right?).

But, your primary reason for using bb swivels is a personal choice, not a necessity because most or all musky lures will not twist your line and mess it up in a single trip unless all you use is spoons and bucktails. And maybe you only use one rod and switch all your lures out on that single rod, but most guys I know, myself included, have a dedicated bucktail rod rigged seperate from the other musky rods.

You're right, ok.  You avoided every one of my questions and you want answers.  Just keep giving expert advice.

Edited by DaveC

19 mins ago, DaveC said:

You're right, ok.  You avoided every one of my questions and you want answers.  Just keep giving expert advice.

Deflecting again.

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Deflecting again.

Pot calling the kettle black.  I have asked you numerous times how many muskies you have caught in your life.  I have asked you if you have ever caught a musky on a Suick.  I asked you if you were fishing a spillway.  I have asked if you have ever caught 5 or so muskies in a day.  These are all questions to quantify your level of experience telling guys that a STANDARD rig is unnecessary. I would be my bottom dollar that I have caught more muskies in one trip than you have caught in a whole season.  I would also venture that I have caught more skis in a week than you have caught in your life.  Yet you continue to tell me that I don't answer your questions, am deflecting, and have not demonstrated my point.  To which I say that you have not demonstrated your level of expertise in giving advice.

You have been argumentative from the start.  Every time you asked me to explain, I did.  Every time I explained, you told me I was wrong.  Every time I explained again you just started over.  I have stated numerous times that your rig is NECESSITY for the type of fishing you are doing but that doesn't mean that everyone should do what you do.  If you do a search you'll see the rig I talked about.  Nowhere will you see and 8 foot leader with an FG knot.  You assume that no one ever tried it because they don't employ it despite my telling you that I have used the FG knot.  Double tens, eights, dog balled rubbers, fouled glides and jerks, weed catching cranks will all twist your line.....that's a fact.  I don't need to search to find out what musky lures are....I use them.  Oh and a 10 inch Suick is while an 8 inch live target is not in my box.  I bet you have caught under three muskies on that one :)

Here's what is even funnier.  You started out by saying this:

"Regarding actual bite leaders, I really don't use one. That said my buddy, who is a hardcore musky guy, swears by 100lb/150lb flouro bite leaders that he makes himself."

After my statement that I would not recommend this to others you say:

"My line has yet to be messed up after multiple trips. To clarify, I do use leader material, 80lb to 100lb mono."

Sounds like you changed it up immediately after I told the community that was a bad idea.  Seems like you are just someone who has to be right no matter what you say.  I have emails and pm's coming in where at least a dozen musky guys are asking why I am even explaining this over and over.  They are laughing at you behind your back.  One person actually has a picture of your new rod and reel and says "nice, a new set up for a new musky fisherman!".  

In summary, I will state what I stated many times over.  Beastly Backlash, you fish the way you want.  As far as giving advice to others that are starting out musky fishing you need a 100 pound crosslock snap for easy change on a lure, a good BB swivel and a 12 inch single strand wire or 100 pound + fluoro leader.  It really is not that complicated and it doesn't need to be debated.

I am asking that we get this back on track.  You and I disagree.  That is fine.  I can see why you might be defensive because you did something and it worked for you.  You are proabably a good guy but honestly I have said multiple times to let it go and you keep on poking the hornet's nest.  Let it go.

Edited by DaveC