bruceinva

Musky lure recommendations

15 posts in this topic

A local lake has a decent population of extremely elusive muskie hybrids.  I have a couple of curado 300's and a couple of muskie rods but I am short on lures and knowledge.  I have a big double bucktail, a huge spinnerbait, a large glide bait and a savage alien eel (looks to be a bulldawg clone) as well as a small collection of saltwater plugs.  Would love some recommendations on "must have" lures.  I haven't been bitten by the muskie bug but it would probably take only a single bite or a very serious follow for it to happen.  As a follow on, I figure I could line the reels with 65# braid but how long and heavy of a mono leader do you guys recommend?  I have read about people using 50# and higher for a leader but won't the big uni-knot inhibit casting?

Thank you 

Bruce

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use an FG knot (thin diameter and much stronger then an uni) and an 8ft 80lb mono leader with my 9ft rods.

Get a couple large musky cranks, Storm Flatsticks are good and will not break the bank, otherwise it sounds like you have the basics in terms of gear. The most important thing for you to do right now is just hit the water and fish.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Google "Joe Bucher Outdoors"  - wealth of info.  I use some of his muskie plugs for striped bass.

Bucktails of various colors and sizes are a staple in the musky world. Depends on your water but sliver blades and black bucktail is usually a good producer.  I have a bunch of lures and carry them with me but I usually end up using only a few of them.

Leaders can be a touchy subject in the musky word.  I use crimped 130lb Seaguar fluoro for casting and some trolling. Some will say musky can saw through the fluoro but I've yet to have a musky come close but I've had  musky snap a couple 7 strand leaders.

The 100lb plus flouro leader is about all I use anymore. Lures that have become my go to baits is the Savage gear line thru trout in floating and slow sinking and also the trilogy spinnerbait. Biggest thing is getting to know the water you are fishing the forage base and putting the time in.

I appreciate the input and will DEFINITELY start using the FG knot.  The lures everyone has mentioned are all doable and within budget!  The Storm Flatstick is a great start and I see they make a smaller jointed version.  The bucktail I have is black with reddish blades so I will get another and mix it up.  The savage thru line looks cool and can also be added to the arsenal.  

Thanks for the information, I can't believe I didn't know about the FG knot!  Hopefully I can get out on the water soon because I can only spend so many hours organizing crap and tying ugly flies(which never get used).  

Tight Lines!

If you get too deep into getting musky lures right off the bat you might find yourself out $200 or more for just a couple of lures that may not be what you need.

Metal brings up a good point, a black bucktail with chrome blades is a good color to start with and stick with for that style of lure.

Regarding actual bite leaders, I really don't use one. Never had a bite through either.

That said my buddy, who is a hardcore musky guy, swears by 100lb/150lb flouro bite leaders that he makes himself.

BB

Now that I know about the FG knot it seems reasonable to use a heavy leader.  I have some 80# flouro, I am glad to finally get a chance to use it.

You are absolutely right about just needing to get out instead of being so picky about my days.  

On 1/22/2019 at 10:16 PM, bruceinva said:

A local lake has a decent population of extremely elusive muskie hybrids.  I have a couple of curado 300's and a couple of muskie rods but I am short on lures and knowledge.  I have a big double bucktail, a huge spinnerbait, a large glide bait and a savage alien eel (looks to be a bulldawg clone) as well as a small collection of saltwater plugs.  Would love some recommendations on "must have" lures.  I haven't been bitten by the muskie bug but it would probably take only a single bite or a very serious follow for it to happen.  As a follow on, I figure I could line the reels with 65# braid but how long and heavy of a mono leader do you guys recommend?  I have read about people using 50# and higher for a leader but won't the big uni-knot inhibit casting?

Thank you 

Bruce

Hi, the standard for a long time in leaders for Musky fishing is single strand dark wire[very thin for lb test] easy to tie and cheap to make. I use Rosco USA snaps and swivels. I believe the leader is done with a haywire twist? Check #tube, In fishermen and Musky hunter are great sources for info. WARNING Musky fishing is highly addictive. Enjoy your fishing good luck 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/23/2019 at 10:25 PM, bruceinva said:

I appreciate the input and will DEFINITELY start using the FG knot.  The lures everyone has mentioned are all doable and within budget!  The Storm Flatstick is a great start and I see they make a smaller jointed version.  The bucktail I have is black with reddish blades so I will get another and mix it up.  The savage thru line looks cool and can also be added to the arsenal.  

Thanks for the information, I can't believe I didn't know about the FG knot!  Hopefully I can get out on the water soon because I can only spend so many hours organizing crap and tying ugly flies(which never get used).  

Tight Lines!

Most flourocarbon leaders have a barrel swivel that you can tie your braid to.  No need for a knot between braid and floro and wouldn't recommend that. I'd be far more concerned with that knot slipping than a fish ever cutting 100-130 lb floro leader.  Just want to be sure that you're not using monofilament line as your leader. Use flourocarbon leader, if not using a single wire for glide baits.  Get a large rubber coated net, pliers and bolt cutters for your hooks.  

Tigers typically hit smaller baits than pure strain muskies in my experience but there are no absolutes.  May in PA is typically a very strong month for tiger muskies. Should be similar in VA 

Edited by Mike D

On 1/27/2019 at 0:40 PM, Mike D said:

Most flourocarbon leaders have a barrel swivel that you can tie your braid to.  No need for a knot between braid and floro and wouldn't recommend that. I'd be far more concerned with that knot slipping than a fish ever cutting 100-130 lb floro leader. 

I use an FG knot on my shark rigs, it’s also popular with tuna and Tarpon guys. It will hold up.

15 hours ago, HighEndHooker said:

I use an FG knot on my shark rigs, it’s also popular with tuna and Tarpon guys. It will hold up.

FG knots are my go to knot any time I am attaching braid to any leader material. If an FG knot using 80lb mono and 50lb braid holds up in the surf against sharks, it is good enough for esox.

Almost every Tiger I ever caught was on a #5 Mepps Dressed Firetiger inline spinner.Clear or stained water. By product is plenty of LMB.

FG knot always worked as did the wallyworld titanium leader. (black,thin,6-8")

Great fish. Hope to catch a natural some day.