Mike

Tog House 2019

Rate this topic

3,510 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, Mike said:

My machine takes rolls and has a cutter. Easy peasy 

Mine does too.  It is twice as much work.  Cut bag. Seal edge. Fill bag. Seal bag.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Y is probably pitching a tent right now.  He’s in an RI thread where some dude says he had a #12 shore tog yesterday.

LOL! My first thought was you were saying I was camping because we don't have the house yet. 

On 10/6/2019 at 0:19 PM, Mike said:

Standing in a dock, not a rock. An old friend had a boat and would tell me the same thing. He doesn't have the boat anymore but he'll tell me of the spot.

If the winds dont let up we may be fishing from the dock

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

Get a bunch of these to keep your flays and let them drip dry.  Bag and freeze when you get home.  

https://www.eastcoastseafood.com/products/item/usa-fresh-sea-scallops-cheese-cloth-bag

Just get the cheese cloth bags-correct ?? Then what do you do with the cheese cloth bags ?? when you get home , wash em am and resuse 'em , otherwise they will stink. Just as easy to pat flays dry and ziplock bags keep cold till we get home. Thats what we did last year, filled one cooler with ice from the hotel machine, worked out ok.

Edited by Snaps

Just now, Snaps said:

If the winds dont let up we may be fishing from the dock

Just get the cheese cloth bags-correct ?? Then what do you do with the cheese cloth bags ?? when you get home , wash em am and resuse 'em , otherwise they will stink. Just as easy to pat flays dry and ziplock bags keep cold till we get home.

FBN is a man of means. He uses the bag and then throws it in the garbage.

honestly never tried those cheese cloth bags.  Some guys started using them on the long range voyageur trip to help drain the fish.  You can pat them dry all you want they're still gonna drain out for a while and the bloody tog sludge will marinate your fish in ziplocks bags.  

I cut green willow branches and weave them into a basket shaped rack.  I hang the fillets on the rack and apply a heavy layer of Kosher salt.  After 3 days of air drying, I vacuum seal them.

10 mins ago, Slacker said:

FBN is a man of means. He uses the bag and then throws it in the garbage.

Always looking to perfect fish processing and care of my fish to get the most out of it.  Otherwise why bother killing them when Acme sells frozen Gortons buy 1 get 1.

4 mins ago, Slacker said:

I cut green willow branches and weave them into a basket shaped rack.  I hang the fillets on the rack and apply a heavy layer of Kosher salt.  After 3 days of air drying, I vacuum seal them.

I'm intrigued.  Cured tog is an idea. 

6 mins ago, Slacker said:

I put my fish in a brown paper bag get drunk and pass out. Two days later i switch my filets with the ones in the cheese cloth bags. Easy peasy.:howdy:

27 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Always looking to perfect fish processing and care of my fish to get the most out of it.  Otherwise why bother killing them when Acme sells frozen Gortons buy 1 get 1.

I prefer to let the fish rest whole for a day and then filet them. If I do that they do not weep much at all. 

2 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

You gotta get the guts out. 

And the two 8oz sinkers that got shoved in there as "pool insurance".  Don't want the fish absorbing too much lead.

42 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

honestly never tried those cheese cloth bags.  Some guys started using them on the long range voyageur trip to help drain the fish.  You can pat them dry all you want they're still gonna drain out for a while and the bloody tog sludge will marinate your fish in ziplocks bags.  

Where did they buy them and what size?