Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jason colby

State Waters for "Commercial Purposes"?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

It seems that in Florida, recreational fishing is taken much more seriously by the state government than most (if not all) other states. For example, in my state (Massachusetts) they will gladly "take" every fish from the recreational fishermen's allotment and hand them to the netters until there are none left to catch. For example the fabled cod is the state fish of Massachusetts and yet recreational fishermen are not allowed ANY while the netters have "business as usual".

I recently heard that charter operations in Florida have to get some kind of "state permit" to fish up to 9 miles out. I know of "state waters as being typically out to 3 miles. Did Florida declare it's state water jurisdiction to be 9 miles? If so, what details can anyone share?

Thank you!

Jason 

Edited by jason colby

Florida certainly understands how important recreational fishing is to their state - so much so that they don't allow their fishery management to be controlled by the industry advocacy folks that are responsible for so much of the damage done to the North East's stocks. That's step #1 to any kind of rebuilding of damaged stocks - stop letting the folks who will fight to kill the last of a species control the process. Florida does an excellent job protecting recreational fishing even from the industry advocates that would destroy it in five minutes given the chance.

Step #2 - ban inshore gill netting. Florida has removed the walls of death from their inshore shore waters. Around here, every bass, weakfish and bluefish have to constantly dodge gills nets to feed and move near shore. In NJ I've seen gill nets within casting range of jetties...and they aren't allowed to kill the bass that they kill...it's so stupid :rolleyes:   Move all gills nets out a mile or three....would be a great help...Florida did it years ago :th:

TimS

15 hours ago, TimS said:

Florida certainly understands how important recreational fishing is to their state - so much so that they don't allow their fishery management to be controlled by the industry advocacy folks that are responsible for so much of the damage done to the North East's stocks. That's step #1 to any kind of rebuilding of damaged stocks - stop letting the folks who will fight to kill the last of a species control the process. Florida does an excellent job protecting recreational fishing even from the industry advocates that would destroy it in five minutes given the chance.

Step #2 - ban inshore gill netting. Florida has removed the walls of death from their inshore shore waters. Around here, every bass, weakfish and bluefish have to constantly dodge gills nets to feed and move near shore. In NJ I've seen gill nets within casting range of jetties...and they aren't allowed to kill the bass that they kill...it's so stupid :rolleyes:   Move all gills nets out a mile or three....would be a great help...Florida did it years ago :th:

TimS

Great information guys-Thank you!

I'm meeting with David Pierce (Director of The Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries)  this morning and this is one of the subjects I want to discuss. I believe we should all meet with members of our state fishery management and use the Florida example for what we want in our states!

Posted (edited) · Report post

The state waters for gulf of Mexico is 9 miles across all the gulf states. The Atlantic coast is 3 miles.

Florida has had a real push for better saltwater management since the late 80s/early 90s. Changes  to redfish regulations and the 1994 longline ban in Florida were huge fights that signaled the change in how Florida was going to do business.

The magazine Florida Sportsman was instrumental in rallying recreational anglers around causes. It's influence forced change in the state.

Edited by mwhitt80