BrokeOff

Rolltop of build a bench?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, Local66 said:

 You do realize that every time you clean up after trimming a fly, the dust goes too?

 

He’s referring to every other part of the desk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Local66 said:

 You do realize that every time you clean up after trimming a fly, the dust goes too?

Yes but the dust settles everywhere as you may know. An example of that just look at your vehicle("car, truck...etc.) the dash board in a few days even with the windows up and you will find dust! Now with the roll top desk you will still find dust but not as much. The dust is constant and yes after trimming a fly or in my case flies("I normally tie a half a dozen at a time") :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, danflytr said:

Yes but the dust settles everywhere as you may know. An example of that just look at your vehicle("car, truck...etc.) the dash board in a few days even with the windows up and you will find dust! Now with the roll top desk you will still find dust but not as much. The dust is constant and yes after trimming a fly or in my case flies("I normally tie a half a dozen at a time") :) 

 

  That's a stretch. I'm building rods in the same area where I tie. I keep it clean (easily, it's just a large flat surface), since a dust issue like the one you're talking about would make it pretty much impossible for me to work with epoxy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 9:06 AM, JoeC said:

Very timely thread (topic) for me.  We recently moved into a small ranch home with a great basement.  After building some basic shelving to support the unpacking of the boxes, I decided to build a work bench (that for me is basically a multi-purpose fishing table/corner of the basement.  Rods stored overhead using vinyl covered screw-in hooks and a 8'x34" table.  The table (when complete) will include a 8'x16" storage shelf below, and one 8'x8.5" shelf plus 2 4'x6" shelves above.  My plan is to use the left half of the table for tying, and the right half for other minor work on my equipment - sharpening/exchanging hooks, cleaning reels, etc.  After reading some of the comments in this thread, if multi-purpose does not work out for me, I'll use exclusively for fly tying. 

 

PS - some great photos in some of the replies in this thread!

Welcome aboard, JoeC!  You are going to like it here. "Lots of good people helping other Good People!   It was 67 dgrees Highlands, NJ on Sandy Hook Bay in Highlands, NJ on Sandy Hook Bay.!"  Enjoy the coming season.   RJ  At 4pm there were 10 High School age kids swimming at the town Beach.  Spring has sprung.  The fish are starting to move into migration mode and spawning mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RJ said:

Welcome aboard, JoeC!  You are going to like it here. "Lots of good people helping other Good People!   It was 67 dgrees Highlands, NJ on Sandy Hook Bay in Highlands, NJ on Sandy Hook Bay.!"  Enjoy the coming season.   RJ  At 4pm there were 10 High School age kids swimming at the town Beach.  Spring has sprung.  The fish are starting to move into migration mode and spawning mode.

Thanks very much and yeah, the willingness to offer their expertise, opinions, etc is pretty impressive by folks on this board.  If not careful, one can find him or her self absorbed in the vairous threads and posts..  Give those fish a boot and send them up the coast a bit, we're itching to get at them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 7:39 PM, Sudsy said:

Yup, this 

 

The roll top is nice in that it'll keep your worktop dust free in between sessions.

Even better is the fact that with the roll top shut you won't be tempted to let crap pile up on it. I haven't tied on my bench in months, only because it's been that long since I've seen the top of it.

 

mess.jpg.806cb36178313f475014f2291902c5ca.jpg

 

I'm looking to score a cheap rolltop as well.

 

On 1/22/2019 at 7:45 PM, HillTop said:

 

WeeeOooooo

 

On 1/22/2019 at 7:59 PM, Sudsy said:

Yeah, I gotta get on top of this

Gunna start right now

Got on top of it - scored a small roll top desk for the huge price of $10 at a garage sale

Going to keep my eyes open for a bigger fancier one - but this will do in the meantime and it's a hell of a lot better than the disaster i was using

Only issue is that I can't find a way to mount the magnifying light

 

20190330_174554.jpg.fda234f72af943a0002d30af86fa896f.jpg20190330_174612.jpg.bc28125f557dc23927f6e2b48b0584d0.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 6:08 PM, Sudsy said:

 

 

Got on top of it - scored a small roll top desk for the huge price of $10 at a garage sale

Going to keep my eyes open for a bigger fancier one - but this will do in the meantime and it's a hell of a lot better than the disaster i was using

Only issue is that I can't find a way to mount the magnifying light

 

20190330_174554.jpg.fda234f72af943a0002d30af86fa896f.jpg20190330_174612.jpg.bc28125f557dc23927f6e2b48b0584d0.jpg

 

 

That's a great garage sale find.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:06 AM, JoeC said:

Very timely thread (topic) for me.  We recently moved into a small ranch home with a great basement.  After building some basic shelving to support the unpacking of the boxes, I decided to build a work bench (that for me is basically a multi-purpose fishing table/corner of the basement.  Rods stored overhead using vinyl covered screw-in hooks and a 8'x34" table.  The table (when complete) will include a 8'x16" storage shelf below, and one 8'x8.5" shelf plus 2 4'x6" shelves above.  My plan is to use the left half of the table for tying, and the right half for other minor work on my equipment - sharpening/exchanging hooks, cleaning reels, etc.  After reading some of the comments in this thread, if multi-purpose does not work out for me, I'll use exclusively for fly tying. 

 

PS - some great photos in some of the replies in this thread!

I advise keeping your "dirty work" away form "clean work".Tools used for cleaning/lubing reels/chainsaws,etc etc and your hands will find their way to your "clean work".A seperate work bench for oil products.I have 3 benches.1. for tying flies 2. for rod building& repair 3.workbench for everything else.Tying flies deals with other type nasties[animal skins,borax,dyes,salt,etc.] from rod building work.X contamination from your hands and tools create havoc with finishes.Oils are the enemy of all finishes.Just a thought............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, theshadow said:

I advise keeping your "dirty work" away form "clean work".Tools used for cleaning/lubing reels/chainsaws,etc etc and your hands will find their way to your "clean work".A seperate work bench for oil products.I have 3 benches.1. for tying flies 2. for rod building& repair 3.workbench for everything else.Tying flies deals with other type nasties[animal skins,borax,dyes,salt,etc.] from rod building work.X contamination from your hands and tools create havoc with finishes.Oils are the enemy of all finishes.Just a thought............

Thanks for your thoughts and, after thinking it through, I'll do the different types of activity in separate areas as you suggest.  Today, in fact, another task surfaced when I decided to paint (spray paint) some kastmasters where silver chrome finish has deteriorated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.