BrokeOff

Rolltop of build a bench?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Yup, this 

The roll top is nice in that it'll keep your worktop dust free in between sessions.

Even better is the fact that with the roll top shut you won't be tempted to let crap pile up on it. I haven't tied on my bench in months, only because it's been that long since I've seen the top of it.

mess.jpg.806cb36178313f475014f2291902c5ca.jpg

I'm looking to score a cheap rolltop as well.

WeeeOooooo

I’m going to do a bench from scratch.

Any ideas of things I should think about when designing?  This is going to have a fly tying area but I’d also like to include an area for maintenance, storage for lines/reels/books, maybe an area of drafting/design (I some plans for a skiff).  

I just know know there are tons of things I wish I had thought of before some projects.  Didn’t know if there were additional ideas.

I would think about two separate benches, one more elaborate (perhaps with drawers underneath) for fly tying and a separate one, simpler, for your maintenance and drafting area. When you tie an elaborate fly pattern, you end up with a bench covered with material and it might take you a few days to finish that tying project. So you can't use the bench for something else during that time.

For storage of reels, lines and fly boxes, you would be better off with a cabinet which can be a simple one to make.

For the tying bench, think about the height of the tying table, and that of your chair and vise as you want to be sitting comfortably with your hands not too high when tying. Otherwise neck fatigue, and even neck problems, will ensue. Finally good overhead lighting as somebody has already pointed out.

I have an area in my basement setup but I don't use it.  I work out of this cardboard box that I use at my dining room table. This way I can tie and be with my family. I felt  hidden away in the basement missing everything. 

I usually tie only one certain type at a time so I only bring upstairs what I need. I've tied hundreds of flies this way. 

When I'm done the cardboard tying tray goes back on my bench.  There is no right way or wrong way but only what works for you. 

IMG_20170106_200305479_HDR - Copy.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

When I first moved into my house I built my own tying bench and I did use it the first few years because it was new and novel to me. What I found was storage of materials became an issue and various types of storage bins with drawers came and went.

What I found that I always did my my tying before that on a portable tying bench that sat of top of my bigger tying bench. The biggest issue I had was I always did the majority of my tying during the winter and my basement was not heated. Because of that I found I would move my portable bench upstairs to where it was warm.

I eventually bought a rooftop computer desk and that was the smartest move I made, I have it set u[ in my den and it just looks like part my my household furniture. The desk being a computer desk has a storage area for the tower and that compartment holds four plastic shoe boxes and all my materials. Most of what I tie now fits in the those boxes since 90% of what I use is synthetic and I don't require a lot of materials.

The desk also holds by portable tying bench in it and that allows me to remove it and take it with me if I decide to tie someplace else such as the Bearsden show in February. The upside of the rolltop is it is easy to keep clean and when I close it the inside is protected and out of sight. I bought this computer desk with the intention of never putting a PC in it. I have a portable Laptop or Ipad I use for what I need to do.

These are a couple of pictures to show my setup including a close up to show the portable tying bench with a clamp on vce inside that also allows me to remove it with my lamp attached so it all comes out as one unit.

The portable bench slides to the front of the desk and allows me to adjust the lamp as needed and when I'm done it all tucks inside allowing me to close the top.

The desk also has  keyboard tray that slides in and out to hold all kinds of tools and thread and other junk you might need. Mine has mostly junk right now.

I don't know if the desk you are looking at is a true roltop or a PC desk and I don't know it you basement is heated but it is something to think about, A basement area if heated with a roltop could be the best of both worlds, it will keep dust out and allow you to get more external storage setups if needed. Good Luck on what you decide.

P1100924sol.JPG.e774075d4143c4c50ab4ba53cfe931b0.JPG

P1100926sol.JPG.c0e2ba0695c4044db4efdbe6acee81fa.JPG

Edited by bonefishdick

I’m with Striperknight on this one. I’m not tying much, but when I do (sounds like commercial), I prefer to be in the family room and next to tv. I was carrying every piece of equipment one by one. It’s kind of annoying.

And BFD seems to have perfect solution (as always).

So, plan for this year to have rolltop desk somewhere on the second floor and close all supplies into it. I hope it will fit.

And build small portable, easy to move tying desk.

BrokeOff, thank you for starting this topic!

Very helpful!

Nice BFD and as Striperknight pointed out, there's no right or wrong way, it's what works for you. And now BrokeOff, you have quite a few alternatives.

When I worked in Manhattan 30 years ago, I had a 45 min train commute. I converted a Samsonite hard brief case into a pop-up Lap top tying desk. I Could usually find an empty double seat in the back of the train, and knock out a few flies each day. Wish I had a pic, it was a sweet set up and turned heads.  

On 1/23/2019 at 5:53 PM, SG1 said:

When I worked in Manhattan 30 years ago, I had a 45 min train commute. I converted a Samsonite hard brief case into a pop-up Lap top tying desk. I Could usually find an empty double seat in the back of the train, and knock out a few flies each day. Wish I had a pic, it was a sweet set up and turned heads.  

This would start fights on NJTransit today.  Having said that, I still like the idea.

Don’t anyone touch or try to clean my bench ADC3CEDF-ABCB-46D9-9215-7EF0216A0783.jpeg.15b3f05bab4ebf22c267517ceff0a269.jpeg I know where everything is and it’s perfect for me .,TV radio, wine selection . Everybody stay upstairs 

0299D406-AEF6-4BFE-9465-36AB0156687B.jpeg.b4fa60a347f217f3a4f68c14e9fa90c8.jpeg

Unless you own too many cats, I don't see the point in owning a roll-top. I've never seen one that wasn't half the size of what I would consider to be a legit work space. My old desk was destroyed while moving in October, I picked up a 50$ corner desk off CL to get me by until I had time to find something sturdier. Ended up getting a very basic workbench from home depot and it's been great, getting ready to order a second one. Finding a comfy stool has been the bigger challenge.

20190311_163620.jpg

20190311_163637.jpg

Very timely thread (topic) for me.  We recently moved into a small ranch home with a great basement.  After building some basic shelving to support the unpacking of the boxes, I decided to build a work bench (that for me is basically a multi-purpose fishing table/corner of the basement.  Rods stored overhead using vinyl covered screw-in hooks and a 8'x34" table.  The table (when complete) will include a 8'x16" storage shelf below, and one 8'x8.5" shelf plus 2 4'x6" shelves above.  My plan is to use the left half of the table for tying, and the right half for other minor work on my equipment - sharpening/exchanging hooks, cleaning reels, etc.  After reading some of the comments in this thread, if multi-purpose does not work out for me, I'll use exclusively for fly tying. 

PS - some great photos in some of the replies in this thread!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes if you can get a roll top for a couple of hundred $$$'s go for it. The reason I say this is because dust. A roll top will help a little to keep the dust off of your thread and other tying materials! I was storing mine in the garage and since I am now using the spare room. If I am tying epoxy flies then I still coat them in the garage because of the smell :) 

Edited by TimS
FB links are blocked here

6 hours ago, danflytr said:

A roll top will help a little to keep the dust off of your thread and other tying materials! 

You do realize that every time you clean up after trimming a fly, the dust goes too?