BrokeOff

Rolltop of build a bench?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

We moved into our house over the summer and I'm getting ready to organize the basement and set up a tying area.  Would you guys recommend a rolltop and go from there or should I build something custom out of 2x4 and plywood?  I can find a rolltop for 100-200 bucks.  I'll probably put a tying station, computer, lighting, and storage for tying/rods/reels, etc.

Thoughts?

6 mins ago, BrianBM said:

That's a lot for the usual rolltop. 

Really?  Those were the two cheapest on CL.  The others were 300-600.  

Thinking about buying one.  Hoping to go big.  Or maybe two screens.

Your questions are making me lean towards building a bench...

I agree with the bench. That's what I did when we finished the basement in our house (a long time ago, we've now moved in a condo): on one wall a bench with two tying stations and underneath in the middle 4 built-in drawers for materials. Over the bench on the wall, 3 tablets  where I could put material in glass jars, plastic boxes, etc. And on the wall immediately to the left of the bench, 4 tablets to put all my books on fly fishing and fly tying ( no Internet in those days). I have no picture of this but here's a picture of what I did ( with store bought cabinets and furniture) were we are right now. It might give you ideas.

As I've always said to friends who thought about flytying: if you begin and want to keep at it, you need a  place dedicated to it where you can sit down, start tying and, should you decide after a few minutes that you are not in the mood to tie at that moment, you can leave the unfinished fly in the vise and come back to it later. Try doing that if you've just set up at the kitchen table.

20170427_070859.jpg

20170427_070628.jpg

Nice set up Suave. I am more intrigued by the pic of the springer behind your tying area. I have a soft spot for them. 

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. I agree with Suave in tying and apparently in dogs too. Create as much storage as you can. I also use a plastic labeled bin system on a re-purposed computer desk that has lots of shelf space and a large cabinet. Bigger is better when it comes to a tying desk IMHO. As noted, it's definitely nice to be able to leave a tying session and jump back in as if you never left. Good luck with whatever you choose. :th: 

Alan

When I built my cave almost twentyseven years ago I had just read production fly tying by AK Best.  He emphasized the height of the table/vise, width of the bench, lighting, proper chair, accessibility to tools, materials and on and on  If you are a casual tyer then this stuff is of less importance.  If you sit for a couple hours a day during the winter then you want to be comfortable.  Of course, cameras, monitors LED lighting are new factors that also need to be considered.  I went with the 2 x 4 workbench.  For the top I used a 5' (or is it 6') section of laminate countertop in a solid almond color from the orange store.  The depth of the top is a bit over 2' and it has a built in backsplash and a rolled or bullnose edge.  After you knock over your first bottle of adhesive you won't lose any sleep.  I see lots of guys opting for the antique oak rolltop.  They don't fit my tying style. Too restrictive.  If you do go for the fancy furniture make sure you are comfortable tying at that height and that the background color works.  My 2 cents.  Your mileage may vary.

Posted (edited) · Report post

As in the price of tackle, there is no reason to go overboard on a tying desk. Good lighting, comfy chair, magnification (for the old guy's) maybe a radio / sound system. It's all about being able to relax and focus on tying.................maybe purchase an income property nearby and keep one unit for tying, it would then become a tax deduction for your pleasures.  :)  Keep it simple and enjoy.

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

4 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

You can't give away furniture these days.   If you have time, you can wait for deal.  

Yup, this 

The roll top is nice in that it'll keep your worktop dust free in between sessions.

Even better is the fact that with the roll top shut you won't be tempted to let crap pile up on it. I haven't tied on my bench in months, only because it's been that long since I've seen the top of it.

mess.jpg.806cb36178313f475014f2291902c5ca.jpg

I'm looking to score a cheap rolltop as well.