Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mako capt

New Jersey Conservation Officers Association Facebook Page

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

New Jersey Conservation Officers Association           This is a facebook page everyone should follow!

Here are some recent highlights.

CPOs Meyer, Tomlin, Detective Harp and Lt. Petruccelli investigated an Ocean City area-based charter vessel for various violations including the retention of a great white shark. CPOs were able to identify that the vessel owner/operator was routinely running for hire operations without the required Federal fishing permits, was regularly unlawfully fishing for striped bass in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), repeatedly failed to report landings of highly regulated bluefin tuna and landed a great white shark (a prohibited and vulnerable species) during a June 2018 charter fishing trip. Because the fisherman held the appropriate permits in the past, the officers could establish that the permitting regulations were knowingly disregarded in the current cases. He was also previously charged by District 8 CPOs for fishing for striped bass in the EEZ. The case was referred to National Marine Fisheries Service for further enforcement action. 

On November 4th CPOs Nicklow and Woerner conducted an offshore boat patrol utilizing P/V Integrity. As the officers were heading back to port, they encountered a vessel that appeared to have no visible registration numbers. Upon inspection, the three fishermen onboard were found in possession of eighteen tautog, all of which were being kept alive. Upon further examination the vessel’s registration was altered making it unreadable from a distance. The vessel hailed from New York, and the three men onboard had been issued summonses for various NJ marine fish violations in the past. The officers issued the fishermen summonses for over the limit and undersized tautog, failure to obtain a New Jersey saltwater registry, failure to number a vessel, and failure to have a vessel’s registration in possession.

During an extended ocean boat patrol in mid-November, CPO’s Harp and Meyer apprehended three separate recreational fishing vessels in possession of Atlantic striped bass in Federal waters. Each vessel possessed one striped bass inside the Exclusive Economic Zone where fishing for, possession and the taking of striped bass is prohibited. The fines are $500 per fish. The cases were referred to
National Marine Fisheries Service.

CPO Driscoll received information from a confidential caller that a market in Ledgewood, Morris County, was offering striped bass for sale. CPO Driscoll conducted an inspection of the market and found three striped bass exposed for sale. In addition, the market was unable to produce records for other fish species that were being offered for sale. The illegally possessed fish were seized as evidence and the market was issued summonses for the illegal sale of striped bass and for failing to produce records for fish offered for sale. 

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018, CPO Driscoll assisted the Central Region Officers by responding to an illegal fishing complaint along the Raritan River, in New Brunswick, Middlesex County. Upon arrival, CPO Driscoll surveilled two fishermen callously using cast nets and keeping every fish they caught. CPO Driscoll apprehended the two fishermen in possession of eleven black crappie over the daily limit, eighteen black crappie under legal minimum size, five largemouth bass under legal minimum size, and one chain pickerel under legal minimum size.

District 7 CPOs issued over three dozen summonses at the Point Pleasant Canal during October and November for various marine fish violations. One noteworthy case involved three men who were tossing tautog into the weeds immediately after they removed them from the hooks. CPO Klitz and Lt. Scott inspected the men and found more than fifteen freshly-caught tautog hidden near the fishermen’s location. After a brief interview, summonses were issued for taking over the limit and undersized tautog.

On the morning of October 13th, 2018 CPOs Klitz and Woerner responded to complaint of men keeping illegal striped bass under the Victory Bridge in Perth Amboy. The officers quickly set up
surveillance of the suspects and within a very short time were able to make their inspections. Upon inspection, the men were found to be in possession of 16 striped bass in total, all of which were undersized. Summonses for possession of undersized and over-limit striped bass were issued.

I started following them a few months ago.  Never realized how busy they are. Very interesting the incidents they run into or get called on.  I wish I could go back in time and talk to my younger self and tell me to go for a job as a CO. Hope they keep up the good work. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

While it's great to read about such busts, and I applaud those C.O.s. Unless and until the moneys that we pay to buy our licenses ( fishing and hunting ) are taken back out of the "general fund" We will never see enough men and women to enforce the lax laws that are on the books as is. Also, we all see and know that the penalties are not a strong enough deterrent for the immigrant communities who's mindset is that they can take it all. And I dont mean just off the boat folks. They teach their children that they can take whatever, because they are "not Americans" .  

Edited by Ben Lippen

I have the pleasure of knowing a few CO’s . Under appreciated , underpayed , hard working compassionate folks , doing the best they can with limited resources and even less personnel to properly monitor huge areas . ALL persons flaunting the conservation laws need to be held accountable . Judges should implement penalties that have real consequences . Forfeiture being the best deterrent . Gear , vehicles, $$$, in extreme cases , freedom. I sat in court and listened as a municipal court judge reduced a substantial penalty for undersized / over limit infractions . The CO ‘s are streatched so thinly that it’s not feasible to attend court except in the most egregious cases. A solution might be to have a dedicated representitive of Fish & Wildlife sit in on as many of these cases as possible. Make it part of the training process . Use paralegals with an interest and love for the outdoors etc. Volunteers. I realize not everyone views the CO’s as on the side of fisherman /hunters , however think for a moment what it would be like without them . Greedy , law breaking scumbags come in all shapes , sizes & colors , they should all be treated like the thieves they are. Bill J