cashews121

Even in Freshwater shame on them

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

(*from Wide Open Spaces)

Hotline tip results in charges for crappie-poaching couple.

When the possession limit for crappie in the state of Minnesota is 10, and you're caught with close to 300 fish, it's time for the courts to hand out some serious punishment.

Authorities busted Isouvahn Xayachack and his wife Chanhthone Phongsim for poaching on Fairmont's Lake Sisseton.

If found guilty, the poaching pair could face fines and orders of restitution upward of $3,000.

An anonymous tip came through the "Turn in Poachers" hotline, resulting in the charges against the southern Minnesota couple for being in possession of 253 crappie over their allowed limit.

Edited by TimS
link removed text added

$3000? Roughly $12 per fish. Not enough. They'll be right back out doing it again. Make it $100 per fish and then maybe they'll think again. Poachers piss me off

I've seen the John Smiths get busted for about the same thing in upstate New York.  They catch a tubful of panfish--usually, but not always perch--and then sell them to local restaurants that feature fish fries.  The DEC enforcement reports mention a few such incidents every year.

This goes on every season at the few creeks that feed into the Long Island Sound. They are stocked and the "not so John and Mary Smith" crowd, using nets, long lines with multiple baited hooks slam the fish the minute the stockies go in. This also creates a problem with the few sea runs that travel these waters. 

The state spends taxpayer monies to raise the fish in most cases, then there is the labor, vehicle costs associated with putting them in etc. I like $100 a fish mandatory and loss of vehicle(s) and 3 years DL suspension.

What I would really like to see is a trip to the proverbial wood shed for a properly administered beating. But that might offend someone. WGAS.

13 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

Laotians, should a known it!

Come now, that's an anomaly. Few self respecting Asian poachers bother with muddy lake fish...unless they're unfortunate enough to be landlocked. 

8 hours ago, Chris76 said:

Always. Never John and Mary Smith for sure.

In freshwater it's usually an Ivan something or other :)

7 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

Indeed.  I'm glad these minorities at least leave serial killing and bank fraud to us real Americans.

Twist it however you want and ignore the obvious that most poaching isn't by Americans of a lighter origin.(trying not to offend anyone else)Obviously some is but come on man. Do you have blinders on that stop you from  seeing reality?  On the whole they don't give a **** about regulations. 

7 mins ago, Chris76 said:

Twist it however you want and ignore the obvious that most poaching isn't by Americans of a lighter origin.(trying not to offend anyone else)

Lmfao, by all means...I do prefer racism out in the open. 

13 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Lmfao, by all means...I do prefer racism out in the open. 

Pointing out that a certain group seems to poach more than others isn't racism.

3 day mandatory incarceration sentence in local municipal jail for first time offenders, ( 4 days if they aren’t registered ), followed by 30 days for second time offenders in State Correctional facilities would change the way people operate IMO... as I understand — 81 Stripers poached from a NJ Estuary in 2018 resulted in a payment of ~$13.00 per month by the guys who were caught. WHAT!!?? Until laws are enforced to the point of making people THINK and change their behavior - tough to see the poaching changing... enforcement is a real challenge without budget funding. ARG!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Hmong's,transported to Mn. & Wisc after Viet Nam are notorious for this.

Many cases in the region of 100's of fish over local limits.

Rarely prosecuted,"they just don't know any better"......

I guess,after 45 years,they still don't "understand".

Edited by olvart

I could see if they were only over by a few and absolutely needed these fish to feed there family. But my guess is probably not. This is a epidemic in mass where I live we call them bucket fisherman. They show up at river,lakes,ponds you name it sit on their buckets and whatever they catch they keep. Doesn’t matter size or the species from pumpkinseed to carp it all goes in the bucket and away they go. I’m all for repeat poachers being find 100 dollars a fish and maybe a loss of there  license whatever it takes to just slow the poaching down. 

11 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Pointing out that a certain group seems to poach more than others isn't racism.

It is to to people loyal to a certain political party that blames racism for everything. They also like to tell anyone who doesn't agree with them how dumb and uneducated they are as a defense mechanism.