adams54

Need a little help understanding Barnegat Bay.

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Adams - are you kayak fishing or mostly from land? 

All from land. I stashed a pwc and a nice sit on top kayak at the bay house. Neither is set up for fishing although I do have the skillset needed to make that happen if needed.

41 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

You didnt hear?! They still pumping out 100 hot tub water. 50s all day on 2" mag darters.

I miss that place already. Im sure theres plenty of fish around but there is nothing that could compare to a pencil popper bite in a blizzard.

How to pass the time now.  My buddy who joined me on daily outings decided to buy an xbox.  :(

I tend to like the Great Bay better to be honest. I never get any bi catches when fluking in Barnegat Light aside from trash fish. At least some decent eating sized blues come up in the Great Bay

48 mins ago, fishless said:

How to pass the time now.  My buddy who joined me on daily outings decided to buy an xbox.  :(

Ill miss the nights where my legs got so numb that I cant even walk back to my truck. My xbox got the red ring of death 2 years ago so I guess I'll have to start drinking more beer

1 min ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Ill miss the nights where my legs got so numb that I cant even walk back to my truck. My xbox got the red ring of death 2 years ago so I guess I'll have to start drinking more beer

I hear ya.  2 yrs ago my buddy and I walk out and we see this extremely tall fella out there.  We both knew we had not seen this person before.  I mean 7 foot tall.  As we got closer we realized, it was another friend of ours on a small step ladder that he carried out there.

Just now, fishless said:

I hear ya.  2 yrs ago my buddy and I walk out and we see this extremely tall fella out there.  We both knew we had not seen this person before.  I mean 7 foot tall.  As we got closer we realized, it was another friend of ours on a small step ladder that he carried out there.

Haha! I had considered that at one point. When that tide was ripping and full I would get blown off the bar. I fish with all guys that are 6'+ so wading out as far as them was always a real pita. But nevertheless worth it

5 hours ago, fishless said:

You moved on to a better option.

My best success has always been the Bl for fluke and occasional stripers, then right outside the Bl near the flats or bay side of IBSP you can catch the right tide and weather if on foot or kayak... Luck of the draw!

Also summer of 2017, my parents had a house on a lagoon in silverton right off the barnegat bay and we noticed large amounts of peanut bunker hung around all season.  We were out there all summer pulling in decent size stripers right off our dock.  Incredible as we have not seen that activity in the years growing up here....

On 1/21/2019 at 5:25 PM, adams54 said:

Hey guys so Im in the surf fishing game for about 2 years (should have quit fall of 2017 but now Im hooked for good) . Over those 2 years Ive been spending a lot of time in front and in back of MoCo. Ive fished SSP, IBSP, and BI several times as well. Ive a pretty good idea about what all those places have to offer during the different times of year. One place I really want to try this spring is Barnegat Bay. 

In Moco theres a few different regions..north central and south. While similar each region has its own feel. Also certain parts of Moco are better to fish during certain conditions or time of year. Does the same thing apply to BB? Do you guys spilt it into different geographical sections? If so what are they ? Is fishing the eastern side of the Bay from the barrier island different from fishing the western side? Are certain sections better to fish? I know that certain parts of the bay are dirtier then others. How about the wind? Is the bay unfishable under certain weather conditions or is it mainly just a water clarity issue?  Is there any point fishing the flats or is it better to find deeper water? Im a total noob to BB and would appreciate any help or advise you guys have to offer.

So I’ve been fishing Barnegat Bay now for about 3 years by boat, no expert and still learning myself.

ive fished Barnegat inlet and south mostly and down into Great bay and the Little egg inlet.

i guess it’s like any body if water that changes all the time. I’ve caught Stripers, Fluke, flounder, Black Sea bass, Tog , weakfish and of course blue fish through out that area.

most of the bay is somewhat protected from east or west winds but when you get north or south against tide and current it can get a bit rough.

there are definitely fish on the flats at different times of the year and there are holes through out the bay that hold different fish at different times

ive had most of my success in and around the inlets

Good luck