adams54

Need a little help understanding Barnegat Bay.

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, fishless said:

Stay away from the piers during the summer month wknds.  Or.....if you are in need of amusement go watch the crabbing madness.  LOL.  No joke 2 yrs back I hit one of the piers and I couldn't believe the activity at 11pm.  Packed, radios are on full blast and one fella scoops up a crab off a dropper line and proceeds to reach into the net and pickup the crab to put in the bucket.  Why he didn't just dump it in is still a mystery but that crab grabbed him in stead.  I walked off the pier thoroughly amused.

Lol haha Im sure we're talking about the same pier. Yes very amusing crowd. One of two places I visit for laughs..the other being the municipal boat ramp at Atlantic Highlands. But this is why I ask if they produce in the spring because its quite the sh*t show in summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, adams54 said:

Great advise. Reason Im asking about location is because those piers seem to be dead zones during the summer months. Bait water temp etc very important i agreee. Thanks for the advise...still working on getting that keeper bass. Ive had a few just shy..but still working on the keeper. (Not to keep)

if you can learn about the feeding habits of a fish (striper, bluefish, fluke, tog), than you will be able to figure out the where and when through trial and error. Ask the right questions and put in your time.

 

When you find them, it will not be a coincidence; those fish are there for a reason. If youre looking for keeper bass you should start on March 1 and fish as much as you can until Aug 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And like DLax said, don't get caught up on the location.  That stretch of 35 from Point to where you will be staying has a lot to offer up and down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

if you can learn about the feeding habits of a fish (striper, bluefish, fluke, tog), than you will be able to figure out the where and when through trial and error. Ask the right questions and put in your time.

 

When you find them, it will not be a coincidence; those fish are there for a reason. If youre looking for keeper bass you should start on March 1 and fish as much as you can until Aug 1.

More great advice...much appreciated. Question..its March 1st and good conditions no fishing reports to go by..where do you go..BB or RB or doesnt matter? (I know it seems like Im focusing too much on location bear with me..its really more a question of has a migration taken effect early as March 1st or am I fishing for residents)

Edited by adams54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, adams54 said:

More great advice...much appreciated. Question..its March 1st and good conditions no fishing reports to go by..where do you go..BB or RB or doesnt matter? (I know it seems like Im focusing too much on location bear with me..its really more a question of has a migration taken effect early as March 1st or am I fishing for residents)

You're starting to ask better questions. The majority of the fish have not migrated "out front" so I am targeting resident fish at this point. I live in Philly so I will usually put in some time in many different locations until I find something I like. Thats the benefit of not having "home waters". If you have a spot on the BB than maybe you should learn those waters before chasing a report to the Raritan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kevbo1756 said:

These guides you speak of? Any info on these?

Do I sense sarcasm?

 

I was suggesting that the OP google “barnegat bay fishing guide” and see if there’s someone there who will take him out. (I did before I wrote that just to be sure, and there were plenty of options for boats. Didn’t specifically look for kayak guides, but I’m sure there’s gotta he someone. Or, the OP could do some buddy-up type stuff with other members but that should be obvious enough.)

 

The “get a paid guide” response is a cop out answer to some people’s questions on here I realize, but there is a value to that kind of service that’s not really replaceable with any amount of online advice and those private enterprises need patrons just like our local B&Ts do. 

 

By the way, I don’t know or have time to research the exact SOL rules but I Didnt want to post anything about specific guides or boat names. (Honestly don’t know any of them anyway.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, EricDice said:

Do I sense sarcasm?

 

I was suggesting that the OP google “barnegat bay fishing guide” and see if there’s someone there who will take him out. (I did before I wrote that just to be sure, and there were plenty of options for boats. Didn’t specifically look for kayak guides, but I’m sure there’s gotta he someone. Or, the OP could do some buddy-up type stuff with other members but that should be obvious enough.)

 

The “get a paid guide” response is a cop out answer to some people’s questions on here I realize, but there is a value to that kind of service that’s not really replaceable with any amount of online advice and those private enterprises need patrons just like our local B&Ts do. 

 

By the way, I don’t know or have time to research the exact SOL rules but I Didnt want to post anything about specific guides or boat names. (Honestly don’t know any of them anyway.) 

No sarcasm at all, my in laws live on the lagoon down there and when we are down there I'd like to fish but I'm just going blindly, I thought it be a good idea for my father in law as well, we have our spots in the ocean but not to confident in the bay. I was curious, it would probably be worth it for us to look into this, go with someone who is dialed in to that area. I was looking for recommendations come the spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 mins ago, kevbo1756 said:

No sarcasm at all, my in laws live on the lagoon down there and when we are down there I'd like to fish but I'm just going blindly, I thought it be a good idea for my father in law as well, we have our spots in the ocean but not to confident in the bay. I was curious, it would probably be worth it for us to look into this, go with someone who is dialed in to that area. I was looking for recommendations come the spring.

Whoops! Haha.

 

Someone shoot kevbo a PM if you have a guy in BB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, Darth Baiter said:

No fish in BB, they blow by and hang in RB.  Although I do hear the power plant will be epic this spring.

Someone take a picture of those power plant blitzes with one of those newfangled 2019 Kodak cameras, available at Sears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fishless said:

Fake news :laugh:

You didnt hear?! They still pumping out 100 hot tub water. 50s all day on 2" mag darters.

 

I miss that place already. Im sure theres plenty of fish around but there is nothing that could compare to a pencil popper bite in a blizzard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.