adams54

Need a little help understanding Barnegat Bay.

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey guys so Im in the surf fishing game for about 2 years (should have quit fall of 2017 but now Im hooked for good) . Over those 2 years Ive been spending a lot of time in front and in back of MoCo. Ive fished SSP, IBSP, and BI several times as well. Ive a pretty good idea about what all those places have to offer during the different times of year. One place I really want to try this spring is Barnegat Bay. 

In Moco theres a few different regions..north central and south. While similar each region has its own feel. Also certain parts of Moco are better to fish during certain conditions or time of year. Does the same thing apply to BB? Do you guys spilt it into different geographical sections? If so what are they ? Is fishing the eastern side of the Bay from the barrier island different from fishing the western side? Are certain sections better to fish? I know that certain parts of the bay are dirtier then others. How about the wind? Is the bay unfishable under certain weather conditions or is it mainly just a water clarity issue?  Is there any point fishing the flats or is it better to find deeper water? Im a total noob to BB and would appreciate any help or advise you guys have to offer.

Edited by adams54

Hopefully somebody can help; I know I can’t!

However, I think you may be best served to seek out a guide. Pay for a short session, presumably aboard the guide’s boat. Or, look for a kayak guide if you’re into kayaking. Even if you don’t catch fish, the conversation before during and after could be worth the price you pay to get these answers. Good luck. 

I've only fished in Barngat Light. I'm curious what the rest of the bay holds. I never see any boats fishing south of BL, seems like just a pass through. I assume it's mostly muck

4 hours ago, adams54 said:

Hey guys so Im in the surf fishing game for about 2 years (should have quit fall of 2017 but now Im hooked for good) . Over those 2 years Ive been spending a lot of time in front and in back of MoCo. Ive fished SSP, IBSP, and BI several times as well. Ive a pretty good idea about what all those places have to offer during the different times of year. One place I really want to try this spring is Barnegat Bay. 

In Moco theres a few different regions..north central and south. While similar each region has its own feel. Also certain parts of Moco are better to fish during certain conditions or time of year. Does the same thing apply to BB? Do you guys spilt it into different geographical sections? If so what are they ? Is fishing the eastern side of the Bay from the barrier island different from fishing the western side? Are certain sections better to fish? I know that certain parts of the bay are dirtier then others. How about the wind? Is the bay unfishable under certain weather conditions or is it mainly just a water clarity issue?  Is there any point fishing the flats or is it better to find deeper water? Im a total noob to BB and would appreciate any help or advise you guys have to offer.

i don't fish barnegat bay too much, but you're asking the right kind of questions. i think you just need to spend a bit of time on the water with these things and mind and you'll have the answers you seek.

that being said, fishing for striped bass in nj ain't what it used to be :cry: 

Born and raised on the BB in what I would consider the Central part of the bay.  Than moved to the upper part of the bay.  I've had equal amount of luck in both areas.  I use pearl color plugs and soft plastics in both areas.  I know other colors work as well but pearl never let's me down so I have no reason to switch it out.  It applies to either side of the bay.  The offerings I toss are light in terms of ounces so I will look at the weather.  If I am casting against the wind such that it will impact my distance and create a large bow in the line that I cant present my offering the way I want to I will consider a spot that will put the wind at my back.  If that's not an option I will sit that day out and wait for the wind to change. 

21 mins ago, fishless said:

Born and raised on the BB in what I would consider the Central part of the bay.  Than moved to the upper part of the bay.  I've had equal amount of luck in both areas.  I use pearl color plugs and soft plastics in both areas.  I know other colors work as well but pearl never let's me down so I have no reason to switch it out.  It applies to either side of the bay.  The offerings I toss are light in terms of ounces so I will look at the weather.  If I am casting against the wind such that it will impact my distance and create a large bow in the line that I cant present my offering the way I want to I will consider a spot that will put the wind at my back.  If that's not an option I will sit that day out and wait for the wind to change. 

Can you elaborate while the waters from the bridge up north to BL seem to not be fished? I've kayaked out there and just see boats cruising by. A million boats in the inlet and the light, and I assume north of that.

The region I'm speaking of is the Toms River area on north but certainly the BI buoy region is very productive as well for multiple species of fish all year long. 

13 hours ago, EricDice said:

Hopefully somebody can help; I know I can’t!

However, I think you may be best served to seek out a guide. Pay for a short session, presumably aboard the guide’s boat. Or, look for a kayak guide if you’re into kayaking. Even if you don’t catch fish, the conversation before during and after could be worth the price you pay to get these answers. Good luck. 

These guides you speak of? Any info on these?

I bet youre hooked on this sport because of the rewarding feeling after lipping a keeper bass or beating the skunk. If thats the case then you will feel the utmost gratification if you explore the bay under different circumstances until you find some fish. You can use general information that can be found about optimal spring time conditions and apply it to any bay. One example would be fishing a mud flat on a bright sunnny afternoon in early Spring. Or target the mouth of creeks at a certain point in tide. Theres some big fish in that bay year round that would love to be caught and released.

My advice would be spend time on a map app and follow up with time on the water.

There are some good spots for fluke around the mouth of the PP canal, stripers used to be around the Manta bridge pilings at different times of the year. The bay is much deeper down near BI than it is north of seaside. I've caught a lot more fluke in the northern bay than stripers.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for all the responses. I have year round access to a vacation home in SSP that a family member owns. Theres a few piers in that region...do they produce in the early spring? What about fishing the bay inside of of IBSP? 

Edited by adams54

Some of the sedge banks down that way are know to be very productive in the early Spring. I've never fished them but I hear things.

3 mins ago, adams54 said:

Thanks for all the responses. I have year round access to a vacation home in SSP that a family member owns. Theres a few piers in that region...do they produce in the early spring? What about fishing the bay inside of of IBSP? 

If the big blues come in, those piers are great for accessing the deeper water where the blues will feed while the water is still a bit cold.

Since you have a place to stay, you have means to fish atleast everyday/night on weekends if you so choose. You should be asking what kind of bait is in the bay this time, what temperature do these bass begin to do this or that. Dont get caught up on location. It will only cripple you when the fish are not there next year.

26 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

If the big blues come in, those piers are great for accessing the deeper water where the blues will feed while the water is still a bit cold.

Since you have a place to stay, you have means to fish atleast everyday/night on weekends if you so choose. You should be asking what kind of bait is in the bay this time, what temperature do these bass begin to do this or that. Dont get caught up on location. It will only cripple you when the fish are not there next year.

Great advise. Reason Im asking about location is because those piers seem to be dead zones during the summer months. Bait water temp etc very important i agreee. Thanks for the advise...still working on getting that keeper bass. Ive had a few just shy..but still working on the keeper. (Not to keep)

12 mins ago, adams54 said:

Great advise. Reason Im asking about location is because those piers seem to be dead zones during the summer months. Bait water temp etc very important i agreee. Thanks for the advise...still working on getting that keeper bass. Ive had a few just shy..but still working on the keeper. (Not to keep)

Stay away from the piers during the summer month wknds.  Or.....if you are in need of amusement go watch the crabbing madness.  LOL.  No joke 2 yrs back I hit one of the piers and I couldn't believe the activity at 11pm.  Packed, radios are on full blast and one fella scoops up a crab off a dropper line and proceeds to reach into the net and pickup the crab to put in the bucket.  Why he didn't just dump it in is still a mystery but that crab grabbed him in stead.  I walked off the pier thoroughly amused.