What coffee are you guys drinking these days?

Rate this topic

bob_G

Market Basket whole bean is roughly $7 for a 2lb. bag (bargain.) I mix 1/3 house blend, 1/3 dark roast, & 1/3 hazelnut. I burr grind my whole bean mix just before brewing and make sure to let the boiled water come down in temp for a minute or two before adding to the grounds.  I don't want to singe the grounds with high temp boiling water and I don't want to use any pre ground which is stripped of most of the flavor rich oils that dissipate fairly quickly. The oils provide for the fresh taste much like fresh herbs vs. dried. Lastly I use a french press and let the grind steep for at least 4 minutes. Paper filters (a no no in my book) not only absorb a lot of the oils but also limit too much of the very fine grounds that ultimately add to the flavor. This method has provided me the tastiest brew at the most reasonable price.

Edited by Ba Ba Buoy

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

20 hours ago, bob_G said:

Coffee and fishermen seem to go hand in hand. Usually every great adventure begins with a cup of coffee. What's your fav?

I still get take out from DD when I'm on the road. But for the last 10 years this has been our at home grind. Very consistent and robust.

20190121_155714.jpg

I'm also a Peet's fan. My friends and I used to go to the original location in Berkeley, CA back in the day. If you can find a Peet's coffee house, the way they brew it makes for an amazing cup. Much better than "Charbuck's".

How bout camp coffee?

I've seen it all.

A good deal of my fish camp coffee when alone used to be old fashioned instant, a tin pan of water and a stick fire. 

The other end of the spectrum I've camped with coffee nerd dudes who grind and press and fuss and fidget 30 minutes per cup, while the sun rises.

There's no denying which is better coffee. It's all about what kind of camp it is.

Family vacation, casual vacation style fishing trip, by all means, I'm inviting the coffee nerd.

Serious hardcore sleep in the car fishing or other extreme nature adventure road trips require fast simple low tech caffeine dosing.

I'm not ashamed to admit I bring my countertop coffee maker to campgrounds with electric hook up. That auto timer alone makes it worthwhile. 

Old fashioned camp percolating I never mastered. Too many grounds in my cup.

22 hours ago, bob_G said:

I use 2 tablespoons per cup. But I'm using a 12oz stovetop espresso maker. Produces a real powerful cup.

My mom used a Melitta for years, and she loved it.  Have you ever tried a french press Joe?

Bob knows when his coffee is done when he sticks a spoon in the cup and it stands up on it's own...

6 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

They say that coffee can be addictive to a point that when you stop you get headaches for as much as several days after. 

To much bad for your heart to. I was on 25 cups a day when I was forced to go cold turkey one day. Most folks do not want to hear that water is better for you, but in today's paper they have an article at least that states you are better off drinking water . Like every thing else, in moderation should be fine.  When we were into good bulk drinking coffee we always included a dozen eggs on top of the grounds,shells and all as it was cooking . Now you talk about a taste that is great in a cup , try it some times . You will surprise your guests and you can tell them it is a special blend of Arabian coffee from the seven seas

Is that a typo A1?...25 cups of anything per day is probably bad for you...

as for headaches, absolutely true...i get them if i skip coffee for one day...but since i don't smoke, drink heavily, do drugs, gamble or cheat on my wife, I guess I need at least one habit...

5 hours ago, b-ware said:

What ever happened to the 8 o'clock coffee from the A&P, hand the bag of beans to the clerk and they would pour the bag into the grinder and refill the bag with ground coffee...…….

I've seen it in stores lately Cuz. I'll keep my eyes open for it. 2 cups of that stuff and your feet don't even need to touch the ground to walk

.........Elvis lives....2020