bob_G

What coffee are you guys drinking these days?

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

This month Guatemala Antigua  from Volcanica. They roast before they ship. Whole bean- Manually ground-French press with a dash of organic honey.   Very good.  

I have one mug of that followed by 1 mug machine ground DD whole bean in an auto drip that my wife likes.

Probably should reverse the order-but sometimes I skip mug 2 

Mike Shea’s has been my favorite lately. Local stuff. Crack open the bag and the smell is off the charts. I’d rather do whole bean and grind as needed, but I’ve got to get the grinder first. I have a ninja coffee bar. Works pretty well. Not amazing, but it beats the hell out of anything my old Keurig could produce. 

2 hours ago, BackEastDon said:

Armeno's out of Northborough is a small indie roaster.  Their house blend is my go to standard but typically mix it up with anything from Mexican Chiapas to Brazil Boubon Santos.  They offer Coffee's from all over the globe.  I also subscribe to Deans Beans news letter and when they offer a limited supply of something special, I tend to order but their regular blends don't do it for me.  The thing for me is coffee I know was roasted no more than a couple weeks ago.  Won't find that at a grocery store or even a big brand coffee roaster.

Coffee is great there but miss the wine tasting room in back.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Keurig, now that is some nasty stuff.

Some folks will do anything for convenience.

I get my Bourbon Santos expresso ground and brew it with a Moccamaster. Gets the water the right brewing temperature every time.

Edited by Jay Blair

7 hours ago, fishing addict said:

I really like Dean's beans

That's very good coffee. I've been drinking high quality roasted coffee since the 1980's. Dean's Beans is very good. Whole Foods coffee has consistently been mediocre. I've purchased Whole Foods coffee in the San Francisco Bay Area and in Massachusetts and it tastes exactly the same, mediocre. Neither bad nor very good. It's right in the middle.  

Peet's is based in Berkeley California and I've had coffee from their first store in Berkeley (I used to live about 15 minutes away). I've purchased Pete's all over and it's consistently good coffee. Major Dickason was one of my favorites. Both my wife and I really liked it a lot. 

About Dark Roast Coffee
I can understand why some feel it tastes burnt. Dark roast is toasted longer. That's probably why. Yet that toasted flavor is appealing to many people.

The downside to dark roast is that the longer you roast it the less caffeine is leftover. The darker the roast the less caffeine punch it has.

If You're a Fiend for Caffeine Go Light Roast

So if you're in it for the caffeine, go for the light roast coffees. Light roast coffees retain more caffeine because the caffeine isn't evaporated/roasted out of it the way it is in Dark Roast. Light Roast will buzz you up stronger than dark roast.  

I don't drink coffee or lattes. it makes my stomach hurt (it's the milk). So I drink it straight up as espresso and love it. Drinking it as espresso you can taste the true character of the coffee. If you're not drinking it straight up as espresso, you're missing out on the true magic of great coffee.

Bad coffee really stands out when you strip it of the sugar as well as the the sugar and fat in milk or the vanilla in soy milk. Espresso straight up is the closes you can get to tasting the heart of coffee, what it truly tastes like.  

The best coffee I've ever had is Graffeo. As I understand it, as I learned in the 1980's, Graffeo is one of the few coffees imported into Italy already roasted. It's roasted in San Francisco. It was in the first espresso I ever had and every time I drink it I fall in love all over again.

But Dean's Beans is outstanding, too!

Edited by TroutGhost

13 hours ago, b-ware said:

Joe, I always figured you to be a K-Cup drinker...…….After all a man of your stature, finess, and sophistication deservers the best that Ocean State has to offer...……...

I assume you.mean the bay state? The best the ocean state has to offer is coffee milk. :cool:

10 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Wawa Columbian.

If it's empty, and I'm too lazy to ask them for a the fresh one right behind it, which I always am, then the Dark Roast.

On a side note, Wawa coffee is $1 now for any size.  It's truly depressing to see/hear my fellow man bitch at the poor girl trying to keep up with the frenzy that there are no more 24oz cups. These cheap bastids wouldn't even think about spending the extra 20 cents for the big one all year long, but ring the $1 bell, and it's like the end of the world.  What the hell is wrong with everyone?!?

Are there any wawas in new england? I think its a mid atlantic and south thing. 

12 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Wawa Columbian.

If it's empty, and I'm too lazy to ask them for a the fresh one right behind it, which I always am, then the Dark Roast.

On a side note, Wawa coffee is $1 now for any size.  It's truly depressing to see/hear my fellow man bitch at the poor girl trying to keep up with the frenzy that there are no more 24oz cups. These cheap bastids wouldn't even think about spending the extra 20 cents for the big one all year long, but ring the $1 bell, and it's like the end of the world.  What the hell is wrong with everyone?!?

Next time tell your fellow man to bring his own mug.

Any mug at those stores is less then a buck anytime and if you bring your 2L Stanley thermos is costs just over a buck to fill up.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Just now, Beastly Backlash said:

Tell your buddy to bring his own mug.

Any mug at those stores is less then a buck anytime and if you bring your 2L Stanley thermos is costs just over a buck.

My buddy?