heyblue34

Sticker Shock

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

Because it can be.

The answer isn't really facetious. Fly fishing has an historic association with the English upper class, with aristocracy if you like. Why would a supplier price it any lower?  It's also the case that while conventional reels made by relatively few manufacturers, in large production runs, I doubt that there's a fly reel maker that has more then five or ten percent of the market. There are no production economies to gain from scale. And since fly fishing involves a higher initial investment in practice time and skill then casting with a spinning reel, it will never command that large an audience.

Why is a VS or Z bass or Kennedy Fischer? Why do guys spend 50 to 100 on plugs they ll never fish. Its all about perceived value. As Brian said fly fishing started with upperclass UK citizens and it got that perceived value and class status attached to it. Its a shame.

1 min ago, heyblue34 said:

Does this mean that I have to go around saying “my lord” or “my lady” now?

Yes

Only to me and RJ.  

All this being said, unless you're running off to the Yucutan for tarpon tomorrow, there's no reason to spend serious money on rod, line and reel for shore fishing in the NE. TFO rods are fine, and a lot cheaper then the made-in-USA stuff at the higher end. 

Give the gang an idea what 'cha want to do, if you're getting started, and the advice will flow in torrents.  

1 min ago, reelfire said:

Why is a VS or Z bass or Kennedy Fischer? Why do guys spend 50 to 100 on plugs they ll never fish. Its all about perceived value. As Brian said fly fishing started with upperclass UK citizens and it got that perceived value and class status attached to it. Its a shame.

I see guys at the Canal with VS reels and I wonder why they would want a sealed reel for that particular body of water. Look, I get it that they are solid reels that you can beat the tar out of but unless I plan swimming out to a rock I have less expensive choices. Plus, $20 for a plug is my max. 

Still, I am trying to wrap my head around the cost of fly fishing. It seems that fly tying is the least expensive component of it. Four Hundred dollars and up for a rod is tough! My custom rods weren’t as expensive.I am wondering what the cost would be to have one made. 

I own 8 fly rods and I only think one of them cost over $ 400 new.  I'm not sure where you're looking, but like Brian said, plenty of lower budget options (TFO, Echo, etc.)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can do an awful lot with one or two good used rods (like a single 9w or an 8w and 10w).

Great older rods in 2 piece configuration can be had for $80-150.  They are out of favor for no real performance-based reason, but if you are mainly fishing locally, why not?  If used bothers you, check out the TFO "TFR" two piece rods (8, 10w only; $150+/-).  Or in 4 piece, Echo Ion XL or TFO pro II rods (both ~ $150 +/- new, 4 piece for travel)

Redington Behemoth reels are around $100 new.  A best buy but take care not to drop them and always rinse them after each salt exploit.   Buy two of them instead of extra spools.

Buy recently discontinued lines at  a 30-50% discount.  Leader material - 20lb clear mono in bulk. 

Can easily set yourself up with two basic, serviceable fly outfits for less than the cost of a custom CTS surf rod and mid level spinning reel.

Edited by Killiefish

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's all about the perception of being an elitist. That is were this high priced form of fishing originated.

Today's mid level tackle is better quality than most will ever need.

I wish someone would market pre-stained vests and other fishing clothing and maybe even new waders with that worn experienced look that has a few fake patches attached !  That new car look in the catalogue's has got to go.

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

No need at all to spend over 400 dollars on a fly rod in 2019. And fly tying is not cheap at all.

In comparison to other types of fishing, I think fly fishing is/can be pretty inexpensive. 

2 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

Does this mean that I have to go around saying “my lord” or “my lady” now?

No, Jolly good, jolly good show will do.

Plenty of good rods below $200.Building a rod depends on the components just like any other rod.Fly tying is another catch.Great vises $ less than $200 new.Plenty up on the web sites for less, used.Materials,well now you have to really watch out.Take a learn to tie class b4 you buy anything.Take a look at Mudhole for rod compnents as a start.Anglers workshop too.Jans Netcraft,Bears Den,J Stockard,etc for ideas on fly tying prices.Google flytying materials and hold on to your wallet.Craft stores,milliners,fur trapping sites,etc.

My primary saltwater rod is a 10wt Scott STS. It might be old, and it’s surely a few ounces heavier than a modern stick, but this rod is strong, fast, accurate, and casts like a cannon. In it’s time it was the cat’s ass, and as far as I’m concerned it still is. I really don’t need or even want a “better” rod. That said, I can totally get behind the price of an expensive fly rod. There’s a lot of technology and science that goes into a top flight rod. 

What I won’t do is buy an $800+ dollar reel. I’ve been using Galvan Rush Lights for saltwater and couldn’t be happier. A practically failure proof reel with an excellent drag for less than $400. Sure, I could drop another $300-$400 on a “better” reel, but what am I gaining? A few less ounces of weight? Meh... A marginally stronger drag? Meh... A sealed drag? Meh...