Saturday morning skeet shoot in freezing weather

Rate this topic

Spigola

Past Saturday morning had to be worst rounds of skeet I've shot in a long time.  It was so cold at the range it caused the joints in my right hand to swell and fingers went numb from the old frostbite I originally suffered in Greenland, (That's a story in itself).  I had my Glacier Gloves on but they only made things worse as I couldn't feel the trigger at all.  Good thing I am very disciplined in where my muzzle is pointing cause when I shouldered my shotgun for a high house 2, just before I called for the bird, my gun seemed to go off by itself.  Of course I know it was me not feeling the trigger, between the numb finger and the glove.  I was also trapping the trigger almost 50% of the time on the doubles.  All told, a rally crappy morning.  I won't be back to the range unless the temperatures go above 40'.  Really pissed me off.  I had the new to me 20 Ga O/U and I was shooting with the club champion who was doing his thing as I was punching lots of holes in the sky.  :mad:

Finding gloves that are the right balance between warmth and feel is a journey.  Luckily in NC, we don't have the long bitter cold of the NE.  I was out on Sunday shooting a 5 stand with temps dropping and wind whipping behind the front.  I like shooting our 5 stand with a good wind.  Makes the targets behave like something alive.  We have a battue, that depending on the wind gusts, was moving at least 50 yards in its landing zone within in its flight path, .

I have had the best luck with work/ mechanics gloves from walmart, homies, etc for shooting.  I don't think that I would like neoprene gloves at all for shooting because of their stiffness and sponginess.  Like you, if i had to wear something that heavy to stay warm, I would stay home.