Stewie

Split ring in a tin? How to

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So you have a tin that needs a split ring:aa2.jpg.accc245aa029d0a0dca7edf3fbbfd18d.jpg

You fight it on with pliers and it gets all distorted:

aa1.jpg.cad8b28f3a2f4c204362a781cd1fa241.jpg

Now take your pliers and roll one end around the other, then keep rolling til the ring is inside out.  Put it down and have a cup of coffee.

aa7.jpg.89015aa3bcc42a2d75f2bf7d9f4c079e.jpg

When you come back, roll it back to it's original configuration. It'll be perfect.

aa3.jpg.b3b938cb0923b50438d35143cf8a950e.jpg

Edited by Stewie
learning how to put photos where I want them

Sorry Baldwin, I left out the most important photo:  #3

I'd do a video, but I'm technologically impaired :)

Very cool thanks for the breakdown. Doesn’t Hopkins make rings that fit their lures or does it happen to them also. I’m trying to figure out what size rings to use on Graves tins. Thanks again

on Graves, I use a ring that i about 1/2 inch in diameter. The bigger the ring, the easier it is to get it over a Grave's nose. When I took the last photos, I couldn't find a Charlie. My basement could use some work.

charlie.jpg

split ring pliers may help in opening split ring, regular needle nose might distort split ring too much, imho

The width of the tin opens it up ?  Split ring won’t help   I like the rolling idea

10 hours ago, Stewie said:

So you have a tin that needs a split ring:aa2.jpg.accc245aa029d0a0dca7edf3fbbfd18d.jpg

You fight it on with pliers and it gets all distorted:

aa1.jpg.cad8b28f3a2f4c204362a781cd1fa241.jpg

Now take your pliers and roll one end around the other, then keep rolling til the ring is inside out.  Put it down and have a cup of coffee.

aa7.jpg.89015aa3bcc42a2d75f2bf7d9f4c079e.jpg

When you come back, roll it back to it's original configuration. It'll be perfect.

aa3.jpg.b3b938cb0923b50438d35143cf8a950e.jpg

Good job putting this as a mini tutorial Stewie !  :th::th:

I've been doing this exact method for years.......it works flawlessly......

6 hours ago, fluke07 said:

split ring pliers may help in opening split ring, regular needle nose might distort split ring too much, imho

3 hours ago, CMSTRIPER said:

Doesn’t look as though you’re using split ring pliers, doing so should help...

Yup, you guys are right. It would be easier that way, but I don't own a pair (usually I end up doing it with my Manley's)

Just a note if your using split ring pliers for this.  Dont use those tiny ones that seem to be popular lately.  I broke a pair trying to force a large split on a graves.  Also I broke another pair doing something.  I dont remember what it was, but they dont seem to be very durable.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The swimming on any tin with a split ring on the front will be different than the identical tin without the split ring assuming you are using a snap with both methods. I am not saying it will be better or worse, just different. An unaltered tin will pivot between the snap and the tin as it swims. A tin with a split ring and a snap pivots between the snap and the split ring as well as between the split ring and the tin changing the action as the "cadence" has changed. The attachment method is being changed from a single pivot attachment to a double pivot attachment. The change in action is akin to using a snap swivel versus a plain snap on the front for the same reason (single pivot versus double pivot)

Edited by SC