DaveC

Cayuga Lake in July

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone know anything about the fishing there at this time of year?  I will be looking for pike or jigging lakers.  Any help?

On 1/21/2019 at 7:25 PM, chunk bait said:

Don't know much about Cayuga, but Keuka has some great Lakers and a whole bunch of extra large small mouth.

So is Cayuga better for lakers than Keuka?  I don't care about smallies, honestly.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:23 PM, Rapidfflow0 said:

Dave,

ive got some buddy’s that live on the lake I’ll make some phone calls and shoot you a text

Thanks, Matt.  Let me know.

Only fished Cayuga a few times, but my impression is that the laker population was quite strong... Good numbers of LL Salmon also, DaveC! :th:  

Fished keuka for the first time last year in may, first fish of the trip was a dandy land locked Atlantic salmon  on the troll..... we probably caught 30 lakers drifting saw bellies in 90’ Of water . Can’t wait to head back up there this year.

1874958E-0DC8-4B2F-B3C7-C3BAD72851D6.jpeg

66D1A488-46D2-4E63-A3B5-994AA87AA1BF.jpeg

59361047-B6FF-436A-8872-CE8BE15A2895.jpeg

678F66A9-5E5D-4167-BC2C-EF91D468438F.jpeg

4 hours ago, bigfish4me said:

Fished keuka for the first time last year in may, first fish of the trip was a dandy land locked Atlantic salmon  on the troll..... we probably caught 30 lakers drifting saw bellies in 90’ Of water . Can’t wait to head back up there this year.

1874958E-0DC8-4B2F-B3C7-C3BAD72851D6.jpeg

66D1A488-46D2-4E63-A3B5-994AA87AA1BF.jpeg

59361047-B6FF-436A-8872-CE8BE15A2895.jpeg

678F66A9-5E5D-4167-BC2C-EF91D468438F.jpeg

This doesn't look like July!! LOL

4 mins ago, DaveC said:

This doesn't look like July!! LOL

Agreed, I would imagine the pattern would be not terribly different though, it was a 50/50 split between the hammondsport end of the lake and fishing the bluff, saw bellies on the bottom in 90-120’ Of water ....3’  Of 8 lb floro leader to a size 4 light wire hook and a half oz egg above a barrel swivel. .... still had to feed them on the bite though. Clearest water I’ve seen in a long time.... also I saw carp that were legit 50 lb fish. If I was shore bound I would be down there on the bank chumming them up with corn after dark.

Don't know about July but fished there with an awesome guide in April or May...don't recall.  We were bucktailing lakers in deep water.  Had an awesome time.  Fish to 12 pounds.  Light tackle, no trolling.  This guide also posts detailed fishing reports of every trip, and was a real blast to fish with.  Either DM me or search finger lakes angling zone 

I spent 4 years in the area and there is great LM bass fishing in the canals, and giant carp.  Never got a carp to bite a lure though.  Have seen one snagged by accident and that is a hell of a fight.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cayuga is awesome. I only fished it for about 4 hours this past fall, but the amount of bait and huge trout is amazing. Find the bait on the drop off and troll over and under it.

Edited by capri_auto