Mag Minnow vs Mag Darter

Rate this topic

Alexey

3 mins ago, Kapfish said:

No one has a plastic lip and one has a sloped head kinda like a darter hence the name. Have you seen these lures?

But isn’t sloped head functionally the same as a lip?  I am holding two side by side.  Wouldn’t the lip make it wiggle the same as the head?  Otherwise, weight, color, size, mag system all seem exactly the same.  Is there really a difference in catching ability?  If Mag Minnow swims by a fish with the same action as Mag Darter, wouldn’t it take it?  Is it just the reputation, or is there a real difference?

3 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

What size mag darter do yall prefer? I have the biggest and mid sized. I hear now though the bigger ones dont swim as well?

To add to the post though, bone, blurple, gold and black, ghost black. All good colors.

Dude, how big is your plug bag. lol.  That's 5 plugs already, x 3 size = 15 mag darter alone. You do the same with sp minnow and bomber lol  I carry two at most, that just in case I lost one. Just grab whatever color I have in the car.

2 hours ago, Alexey said:

Are the two essentially the same lure?  For the same weight, size and color should I expect nearly the same casting distance snd success rate?  Do they swim differently?

mag minnow has a very aggressive action and dives deeper than the 'darter' which is not a darter. The name, Mag Darter, is a misnomer, but it sure gets people talking about it. I catch a lot of fish on the MD, I have occasional nights when the aggressive action of the MMinnow produces, but I've found on those nights any lure would also catch. The MD sometimes produces when nothing else will (for me)