Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lost Cause

Otsego Lake

3 posts in this topic

I got a some vacation time scheduled at the end of April and was looking to do a short trip with the wife. Came up with the idea of Cooperstown so we could hit the hall of fame and then spend a day out fishing on the lake. 

Anybody have any any experience on that lake or know of any respectable guides/charters that service that area? I did a quick google search and found a few but I trust the general population on this site and if anyone has any experience it would be much appreciated. 

Is April a good time to be hitting that lake would love to go for some lake trout but open to any species.

Im also not 100% dedicated to otsego if there's any waterways near Cooperstown that you love I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I work in that area from time to time.   Don't know any guides, but that lake has decent fishing.  ON the way up to cooperstown is rt 28 if your coming off of interstate 88.   That's a decent fishing creek and you cant rent kayaks on there too.   Susquehanna river is right parallel to 88.   Caught some nice stuff there.  April is trout in the creek.   Never heard about folks catching lake trout in otsego.   Walleye, bass, and panfish.   If your close to the full moon in april, panfishing can be stupidly fun then........   Mating season

Check out Brooks BBQ in Oneonta, Omegon  brewery (spelling?), and there's a nice bbq place most the way up n the right on rt 28, just a mile or so past a ford dealership.

Not sure about bait shops, but there's a Dicks sporting goods on rt 23 in Oneonta if you hit snag city....  Thats where I get my hunting licenses each august.

Edited by salt deficient

There are a few good lake trout and brown trout charters in the area. Sorry don’t remember the names but my brother took one years ago I will see if he has the name.  Like the previous poster stated don’t miss Ommegang brewery and Brooks BBQ.  

There really isn’t a lot of fisheries in that area.  The upper Susquehanna starts right there but not easy to access without your own boat.  You can easily be on either the west branch, east branch or main stem of the Delaware or the beaverkill within a hr and 20min tops.  Lots of good guides available there for excellent trout/smallmouth/walleye fishing.  If you need names for there let me know