Africaster

'88 Aqua Sport Osprey 170 - input please

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Seller seems straight up, selling because he got a great deal on a bigger boat, he's had it for 5 years and no issues ... except ... 1 small soft spot near the back (out of the way) where there is a bilge access point. '01 Merc 90 (Salt) with recent factory refurbished head unit.

Size of the transaction doesn't really warrant a professional survey so I'll give it a bash myself ... so ... any tips from you salts will be hugely appreciated.

TIA

Brad

Wish I had my 170 Aquasport these days.  Best bay boat I ever owned.  Don't know what you're going to pay for it but I loved mine.

49 mins ago, Spigola said:

Wish I had my 170 Aquasport these days.  Best bay boat I ever owned.  Don't know what you're going to pay for it but I loved mine.

Thanks for that Spig, 1 more box ticked.

I had. 222 years ago loved my boat. 

The one thing to watch for is the transom ?  On the top edge they can open up and if the water gets in, it can weaken it.  

Sometimes the water will come in the scupperholes  in the well if two people  walk up back.   Was nice in Buzzards Bay .

7 hours ago, ccb said:

I had. 222 years ago loved my boat. 

The one thing to watch for is the transom ?  On the top edge they can open up and if the water gets in, it can weaken it.  

Sometimes the water will come in the scupperholes  in the well if two people  walk up back.   Was nice in Buzzards Bay .

Duh, self draining?

With the old Aquasports, sometimes there is a lot of rot under the deck.  Most surveyors would advise you against buying an 88 anything.  I bought a POS Mako (if it was a Mako) that had a lot of bad glass work done on the deck.  It rotted out from under me, but provided four great years of fishing.  I sold the engine for the cost of the boat, motor and trailer.   If you can afford to take a risk, go for it.

14 hours ago, Spigola said:

Duh, self draining?

There was a well at the back of the transom that ran across apparel .  Two scupper holes, would let the water in and out.  If two big guys walked up the back, water would come in the holes. You didn't want to block them in a following sea , because the water would never get out. 

Those are what make the hull self draining. They are there for that purpose. Just don’t overload the stern with excessive weight. Sort of not putting weight on the side of a canoe. 

3 hours ago, Spigola said:

Those are what make the hull self draining. They are there for that purpose. Just don’t overload the stern with excessive weight. Sort of not putting weight on the side of a canoe. 

3 hours ago, ccb said:

There was a well at the back of the transom that ran across apparel .  Two scupper holes, would let the water in and out.  If two big guys walked up the back, water would come in the holes. You didn't want to block them in a following sea , because the water would never get out. 

I’ve used the following in the past to address the flow back through the scuppers ... haven’t noticed them here in the US (although haven’t really been looking tbh) ... 

05CCC1C4-3A60-49DE-A719-56D9D2A954D9.jpeg.aca40ca25a7e7b8156d7b4478bebb1e2.jpeg

3EE27BB3-A768-4671-96A5-B999B269BE9C.jpeg.a1cf96de8c50a2b98c8b94ee40055f79.jpeg

17 hours ago, Africaster said:

Thanks guys. Based on my research, it seems like a solid buy and fit for purpose ... mainly LIS. See you otw :th:

Brad 

Where on LIS will you be docking?

5 hours ago, Spigola said:

I know that, I'm just saying that what happens sometimes if you over load it.   and the backflo balls do work.