1911 Experts

Rate this topic

Surfinator

4 hours ago, Kml said:

With a max budget of 1k you can do the Colt. It is a fine looking gun. My brother has two ruger’s a full size and a commander.  He did a bit of work on the full size to tighten things up and customize it a bit. It is a great shooter but with all the money he spent he could have started with a diffferent base. He also shooots a Dan Wesson in 9mm that is sweet right out of the box but a bit more than the 1k price max.  

I would love to get a Wesson!!

4 hours ago, Spigola said:

45 ACP

I'm thinking I want 9mm but if something changes I'll let you know.

18 hours ago, Surfinator said:

I would love to get a Wesson!!

I'm thinking I want 9mm but if something changes I'll let you know.

Get the .45 right off the bat,  you will find you have to own one after you buy a 9mm :). SA RO is good one and maybe a slightly used Dan Wesson.

Edited by afterhours

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

I know NOTHING of the Colt 45 but while ordering trigger parts I stumbled over this and thought about the thread.  If it helps the shipping is $10 flat rate.  Obviously links aren't going to fly but Google CDNN Sports...looks to be lots of other configurations as well.

Good luck...

colo1091tt.jpg

Special Sale: $799.99
ADD TO CART

Details

COLT GOVERNMENT 45ACP SERIES 80 CUSTOM LIMITED
Action: Semi-Automatic, Series 80 • Finish: Blued Slide & Stainless Frame • Barrel Length: 5" Stainless 1:16" Twist • Sights: High Profile 3 Dot • Magazine(s): 2 - 7 Round • Grips: Walnut Double Diamond • Weight: 35 oz. • Overall Length: 8.5"

Custom Stainless & Blued Two-Tone Colt - Non-Cataloged Item
- Government Model With Rare Two-Tone Combination
- Includes 2 Grip Sets with Hex and Standard Grip Screws
- Premium Black Laminate Wood Grips & Colt Rubber Grips With Horse Logo

This Colt is a direct descendant of the original Colt M1911. A long trigger, flat mainspring housing and original style recoil spring system remain from the original M1911 design. Upgrades from the original include white dot sights and a lowered ejection port for extra reliability. It still remains “the standard” that everyone tries to imitate, but no one duplicates.

The wheels on my reels go round and round...round and round...round and round...

First off....I personally don't want a firing pin block on any handgun especially a 1911 ie., Series 80.

Series 70's have a better trigger....

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

Rather than going into detail, you could probably get a nice original Series 70 by checking around rather than a repro....

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

If you're truly serious about getting a 1911, do some research.  There's a ton of info out there on the interweb.  A bunch of gun forums have 1911 sub forums.  No need to rush out and buy something just on price alone.  1911's have been made for awhile now, holding off another week or two won't hurt.

One suggestion, don't rule out a used gun.  But buyer beware; this is where your research really, really kicks in.  Personally, I'd stay away from anything that is "customized" unless you absolutely know the particulars.

Best of luck, keep us posted.  :)

An 8 oz sinker and a bunker head will only fly so far...

I was at Shooters today and my son was taking the range safety thing so I was perusing the 1911 end of the gun case by the colts. 

They had a bunch of Kimber’s in the sub 1k range. I know there is a segment of shooters that say never and some the love them. I don’t know enough about them. 

10 mins ago, Kml said:

I was at Shooters today and my son was taking the range safety thing so I was perusing the 1911 end of the gun case by the colts. 

They had a bunch of Kimber’s in the sub 1k range. I know there is a segment of shooters that say never and some the love them. I don’t know enough about them. 

I've never owned one but shot a few. Probably the best looking 1911s that I've seen (my amateur opinion).  But a couple were picky about ammo. It seems that parts need to be polished and some edges rounded. I think for the money you shouldn't have to have that done AFTER you purchase it.  

Like a lot of things quality control has gone by the way side. Kimber, sig, Remington,  etc. Nothing new. 

2 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

I've never owned one but shot a few. Probably the best looking 1911s that I've seen (my amateur opinion).  But a couple were picky about ammo. It seems that parts need to be polished and some edges rounded. I think for the money you shouldn't have to have that done AFTER you purchase it.  

Like a lot of things quality control has gone by the way side. Kimber, sig, Remington,  etc. Nothing new. 

I hear you but I would not get upset about ammo picky for a brand new gun that is really tight and accurate. There is a break in period before it gets smooth. I would get impatient if it went beyond a certain point though. I don’t know what that point is. 

15 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Also take a look at Rock Island Armory. Same design as Colt. They are on my radar in the 1911 world. Looking at Commander size (4") as it may be carried when I'm in a free state.  

RIA have cast slides and frame / inclusions....unlike Colt's which are machined out of a solid billet.....ya get what ya pay for.

"Gird Your Loins"