pclassic

Switch to Braid or Stick to Mono?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi everyone, just sitting here waiting for Snowmageddon to arrive thinking about switching over to braid from 14lb test mono on my Shimano 251 baitcaster and was hoping to get a few view points from some of you that use a baitcaster with braided line for fishing for stripers from the surf or in tidal rivers. I use braid on my other spinning reel with a fluorocarbon leader and love topwater, but have read many articles saying to use a mono leader for topwater because it floats and fluorocarbon sinks. Anyway, I haven't used my baitcaster for about 5 years since moving back to NH from Florida, but I'm pretty sure I could pick it back up and still toss lures without having to dig out a backlash on every cast. If I were to say I probably might get one or two every 50 cast at the most at least I'm hoping that's all. I guess one of my questions would be are braid backlashes worst than a mono backlash on a baitcaster? My plan is to bring two set ups with me this season using my spinning gear, braid with a fluorocarbon leader for sub-surface lures and my baitcasting set up with braid and a mono leader for topwater. It just seems easier to have two rods set up, one with fluoro and one with mono for top and for sub. My baitcaster "for me" is pretty nice although pretty old and I don't think Shimano even makes them anymore, but it works like the day I bought it. I think it holds 140 yards of 14lb mono and was wondering what size braid I should spool on it if I'm not convinced to absolutely stick to mono. Anyway, just a few thoughts I'm having and hoping some of you can share your experiences before you gas up your snowblowers. Thanks Phil

Edited by pclassic
spelling

44 mins ago, pclassic said:

Hi everyone, just sitting here waiting for Snowmageddon to arrive thinking about switching over to braid from 14lb test mono on my Shimano 251 baitcaster and was hoping to get a few view points from some of you that use a baitcaster with braided line for fishing for stripers from the surf or in tidal rivers. I use braid on my other spinning reel with a fluorocarbon leader and love topwater, but have read many articles saying to use a mono leader for topwater because it floats and fluorocarbon sinks. Anyway, I haven't used my baitcaster for about 5 years since moving back to NH from Florida, but I'm pretty sure I could pick it back up and still toss lures without having to dig out a backlash on every cast. If I were to say I probably might get one or two every 50 cast at the most at least I'm hoping that's all. I guess one of my questions would be are braid backlashes worst than a mono backlash on a baitcaster? My plan is to bring two set ups with me this season using my spinning gear, braid with a fluorocarbon leader for sub-surface lures and my baitcasting set up with braid and a mono leader for topwater. It just seems easier to have two rods set up, one with fluoro and one with mono for top and for sub. My baitcaster "for me" is pretty nice although pretty old and I don't think Shimano even makes them anymore, but it works like the day I bought it. I think it holds 140 yards of 14lb mono and was wondering what size braid I should spool on it if I'm not convinced to absolutely stick to mono. Anyway, just a few thoughts I'm having and hoping some of you can share your experiences before you gas up your snowblowers. Thanks Phil

it depend on what is your reason to change from mono,for longer casting?

if is no reason i would put on that same diameter braid as is the mono.

Snag777, I guess longer casts would be a benefit for certain situations and I'm also thinking that I could use lighter and smaller top water lures as well with the braid. Not sure what diameter braid would be equal to 14lb mono.

I tried braid on someone elses rig once,didn't like it much at all esp when I got snagged and had to break off.

another thing is picking out a professional overrun with braid in the dark sucks.

I since have done mono only and I a happy am happy with my results.

now,a 251 size reel will need some of the thin braid.

you fish with that reel in the salt?,,

HH

I tried braid a couple of times. Never worked out for me, I stick with Mono on all my reels, spinning and conventional. I'm not knocking braid, some guys love it ,I hate it.

5 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I tried braid a couple of times. Never worked out for me, I stick with Mono on all my reels, spinning and conventional. I'm not knocking braid, some guys love it ,I hate it.

the spinning reel guys have the edge when distance[braided line is thin and slick] comes into play.

I like my conventionals,gave up on spinners years ago,hated the twisted line.

HH

Edited by Roddy

Roddy, yes saltwater only with that reel. Any suggestions on braid size? I've been using 15lb Power Pro Slick on my spinning reel and it's done me well. No complaints and casts a mile.

If your gonna try the braid, I would give 14# Fireline a shot. Maybe even the 10#. The 14# is about the diameter of 8# mono 0.009. also, it's really not a braid line, it's fused dyneema fibers or something to that effect. Whatever it is, it works exceptionally well on my baitcasters.

16 mins ago, pclassic said:

Roddy, yes saltwater only with that reel. Any suggestions on braid size? I've been using 15lb Power Pro Slick on my spinning reel and it's done me well. No complaints and casts a mile.

I don't know much about it but maybe 20lb would do you good?

that's a pretty small reel to use seriously in saltwater for bass gators.

HH

5 hours ago, pclassic said:

Hunter123, I find that I can't much further using braid. For me sometimes casting distance is important because I'm always on foot.

with casting reels I don't think one gets much of a benefit when it comes to distance since the spool spins.

with a spinner the friction is greatly decreased[braided lines] giving them the advantage.

HH

Edited by Roddy

CDubbs, so you use just plain Fireline and like it? How is the casting distance compared to mono. I'm looking to cast long distances in certain situations. I like the idea of that line being a much thinner diameter than mono. Definitely has me thinking about trying something like that. Thanks for that info.

Roddy, you're right that is a pretty small reel, but it did catch a 40 lb tarpon in Florida although I did it from a boat and we had to chase it down the drag surprisingly performed well. I think I may have been using 20lb test mono at the time. I just like it because it's small and light and doesn't beat me up 1/2 way through the day.