ScottO

Let's talk type 2 diabetes and management.

Rate this topic

1,322 posts in this topic

1 min ago, redfishkiller said:

Dj is fine , as far as diabeetus,  but he has started to make little changes to his diet to offset , the onset of it, 

I think he may OD on chronic though....

yeah I'm way overweight I need to get down. Been going to the gym for a couple months 4 or 5 times a week but need to work on diet more.

3 hours ago, mybeach said:

I figured out my dog was diabetic because she would wake up every few hours and drink water.

Lol been there!

Me, not the dog...

I might as well join this group. I became type 2 in my early fifties as well, I'll be 60 this year. My last 3 A1C's were 6.5, 6.7 and 6.9. On 2000 mg of metformin, 1000 in am and 1000 in pm. Last Spring I dropped it down to 5.8 mostly by walking everyday. I was doing 10,000-12,000 steps (5-6 miles) each day and it dropped it way down. 

I'm doing 8000 steps in the Winter but will start to increase when it gets warmer.

Buying  a Fit Bit watch really helped motivate me to get moving.

4 hours ago, redfishkiller said:

Dj is fine , as far as diabeetus,  but he has started to make little changes to his diet to offset , the onset of it, 

I think he may OD on chronic though....

So he needs to control his munchies

:hippie:

LOL

Good job red!!!  It is getting there!!!  Last night I made "fried" chicken legs in the air fryer.  Ya know what?  Not half bad!!!  They were moist with a crispy skin.  I did use a table spoon of flour for each leg, as well as old bay seasoning and a little salt then sprayed with a mist of olive oil and intot he fryer at 390 for a total of 25 minutes turning half way through.  Came out really impressive.  Will be doing this again with thighs and probably pork rinds as the covering.  My pre dinner sugar was 91, my 1 hour was 108, 2 hour back to 93.  At bed time I was 88.  I had one of those mornings I had to get up at 4 to take a leak, have to stop so much fluids before bed, and went back to sleep but when I woke at 545 I could see my sugar was already rising, 110.  I was in the 70's according to the graph.  So not much I can do, the body was tricked into waking and I faked it out and went back to sleep.  

Reed, your numbers are normal, but, if you have diabetes in the family you need to start preparing now.  Weight loss, activity and reducing carbs will go a long way to putting the disease off later.  Sounds like your Dad was a Type 1.  Cane be a brutal disease as a type I.  

Welcome Firinne!!!  Lots of good info here with these guys.  Keep plugging away at it.  Seems as you have the slow creep up going on and that can be reversed.  Get back to that 6.5 or lower.  Read back to through the thread f ya want to see how some folks are doing it.  

I am getting consistent numbers at around 175 in the mornings. I took the first shot of Trulisity last night. The numbers are down considerabley but I have to get them down more.  

Logging foods, reading labels and limiting carbs is a pain in the ass at first, but over time becomes painless. 

The 208 number was hovering for a few days, but I can feel the weight loss. Hit 207 this am. Should be able to shave off the rest by months end.

been consuming about 1100 calories on average, walking off at least 500 daily. It works for me.