Let's talk type 2 diabetes and management.

Rate this topic

ScottO

1 hour ago, Bass Ackwards said:

I'm a type 1, not 2, been on an insulin infusion pump for over 35 years. Test my BS 3 to 5 times a day. Doctor has been talking to me about that to help monitor my BS but being 69 and set in my ways I'm hesitant to switch. How does this Libra Freestyle work?

It is really isn't a type I unit.  you folks can be so brittle...But talk to your doc.  This is strictly a monitor.  And to you guys afraid to pstt or afraid to stick...give this a go.  Sticks in the upper arm, good for 10 days and becomes a game of how tight can you control your sugar.  I am on about 30 net carbs a day at most.  Many days under 20.  I eat well(read volume), very well, but has to be the right foods.  last nights meal at the restaurant was:  Appetizer of fresh fried pig skins with a cheese dipping sauce, a chopped salad with goat cheese and buffalo style calamari.  Fantastic meal. Low net carbs.

1 hour ago, Capt Buck said:

15 years on with T2D and it's a royal pain in the butt. Stated with pills and tablets, then on to one needle now on two injectable 4 times a day.

Endocrine cutie doctor is still working on why my numbers go up over night when fasting. Some days I have good number, other way whacked.

Strangely, my numbers are always text book spot on when we are in Hatteras, this has happened four years in a row. I mentioned it to my primary as well as the cutie sugar doctor and they both think I need a prescription to go to Hatteras more often. i work out every day, try to stay under 20 grams or carbs per meal and fast on a regular basis but am still more chubby than I've ever been.

I too am now using the Free Style doo-hickey but found the scan reading is rarely the same as the finger prick with it being higher mostly.

good thin last blood test, eye test, kindy test, etc. show no deterioration despite the less than perfect A1C. We'll get it sorted with some more work hopefully.

So google symogi syndrome or dawn phenomenon.  Too may carbs, especially at night and or, too much insulin.  I also shoot four times a day.  I was having symogi issues and realized it was the excess insulin at bed time trying to overcorrect a poor dinner decision.  I you are going to have carbs, eat them for breakfast.  I also have much tighter control when in Florida.  Less crap to eat, more activity.  Work on getting your carbs even lower.  You can cut the insulin as the demand goes down.  Avoid a post meal sugar over 140 at 1 hour and 120 at tow hours.  If higher than that you have had too many carbs.  

12 mins ago, ScottO said:

It is really isn't a type I unit.  you folks can be so brittle...But talk to your doc.  This is strictly a monitor.  And to you guys afraid to pstt or afraid to stick...give this a go.  Sticks in the upper arm, good for 10 days and becomes a game of how tight can you control your sugar.  I am on about 30 net carbs a day at most.  Many days under 20.  I eat well(read volume), very well, but has to be the right foods.  last nights meal at the restaurant was:  Appetizer of fresh fried pig skins with a cheese dipping sauce, a chopped salad with goat cheese and buffalo style calamari.  Fantastic meal. Low net carbs.

Up until 2 years ago I kept my BS 80 to 120 almost religiously, falling dangerously too low all too often. These days I cheat like crazy and my doctor is happier. 35 years on the pump with no diabetic complications, excellent eye sight, blood pressure, and colestrol levels. These days I eat the things I love that I haven't eaten in years. Lobster soaked in butter, fried clams, etc. Not every day of course but more often than before. I'm 69, I dieted hard to get here in good health, now it's time to enjoy the years I have left.

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

good points.  Lobster and clams are pretty good choices.  80-120 is on the money.  Good for you!!  A type 1 is a harder lifestyle for sure.  Glad you are getting to reap some of the rewards!

1 hour ago, ScottO said:

So google symogi syndrome or dawn phenomenon.  Too may carbs, especially at night and or, too much insulin.  I also shoot four times a day.  I was having symogi issues and realized it was the excess insulin at bed time trying to overcorrect a poor dinner decision.  I you are going to have carbs, eat them for breakfast.  I also have much tighter control when in Florida.  Less crap to eat, more activity.  Work on getting your carbs even lower.  You can cut the insulin as the demand goes down.  Avoid a post meal sugar over 140 at 1 hour and 120 at tow hours.  If higher than that you have had too many carbs.  

We ( doctor and me) tried all this even down to 20 grams of carbs a day and still no dice. The hatteras effect is still baffling to all involved in the number crunching including me.

13 mins ago, Capt Buck said:

We ( doctor and me) tried all this even down to 20 grams of carbs a day and still no dice. The hatteras effect is still baffling to all involved in the number crunching including me.

why not cut out ALL carbs and sugars?  (I'm serious)

Just cut them all out?   

This is your health you are talking bout.  

41 mins ago, JimP said:

why not cut out ALL carbs and sugars?  (I'm serious)

Just cut them all out?   

This is your health you are talking bout.  

I dont want to be a dick but try cutting yours in half with out looseing your mind. It is not easy.

Good info here. I will be following this thread and participating here. 

Just now, fishing pete said:

I dont want to be a dick but try cutting yours in half with out looseing your mind. It is not easy.

Good info here. I will be following this thread and participating here. 

Not taking it as you being I dick.    

I've been eating Keto for almost two years now.  No carbs, no sugars.  11% body fat; great blood pressure; don't get hungry; lots of energy.  

Try it - this is YOUR life we're talking about.   if you like the needles and losing limbs and eyesight, by all means...continue to eat carbs.  

Just now, JimP said:

Not taking it as you being I dick.    

I've been eating Keto for almost two years now.  No carbs, no sugars.  11% body fat; great blood pressure; don't get hungry; lots of energy.  

Try it - this is YOUR life we're talking about.   if you like the needles and losing limbs and eyesight, by all means...continue to eat carbs.  

I hear you bud. They say the keto is good. I will look into it. Lots of things have carbs that you wouldnt think.

4 mins ago, fishing pete said:

I hear you bud. They say the keto is good. I will look into it. Lots of things have carbs that you wouldnt think.

concur.   The first month is a bit hard.  Once you transition, it is incredibly easy.  I like the health benefits most of all.  I also do IF (intermittent fasting); I don't eat breakfast.  So, I stop eating at around 7:30 PM and don't eat again until after my noon work-out the next day.  So, I am going roughly 18 hours between the meals and I am working out towards the end of the fast.  I have plenty of energy and am not tired as I am running off of fats and not glycogen.  

Check it out.  it is a high anti-carcinogenic way of eating as well since cancer feeds off sugars.  

If I had to stick myself with needles all day just to survive, I'd definitely at least try it.  

Just now, fishing pete said:

Did the keto thing too.  Got body into ketogenesis (according to the pee strips) and lost no weight for abit then started packing on the pounds. I watch everything I eat but it seems I am bass ackwards with everything. Oh well, steady on, stiff upper lip and all that. Hopefully the medical people will find waht's going on.

1 min ago, JimP said:

concur.   The first month is a bit hard.  Once you transition, it is incredibly easy.  I like the health benefits most of all.  I also do IF (intermittent fasting); I don't eat breakfast.  So, I stop eating at around 7:30 PM and don't eat again until after my noon work-out the next day.  So, I am going roughly 18 hours between the meals and I am working out towards the end of the fast.  I have plenty of energy and am not tired as I am running off of fats and not glycogen.  

Check it out.  it is a high anti-carcinogenic way of eating as well since cancer feeds off sugars.  

If I had to stick myself with needles all day just to survive, I'd definitely at least try it.  

I didnt know you had high sugar. I will definetly look in to that.

*sly you are addicted to the sugars and gluten.

I quit drinking rumplemints and dropped 50 pounds. The dr said  I was at 7 so loose 10lbs get some eorsize. I lost 50 and was way more active since I wasnt lugging that around. A year later its 13. A week ago. I still drank and ate what ever i wanted. Waiting on the meds. And trying to find ones that arent so costly right now.

7 mins ago, Capt Buck said:

Did the keto thing too.  Got body into ketogenesis (according to the pee strips) and lost no weight for abit then started packing on the pounds. I watch everything I eat but it seems I am bass ackwards with everything. Oh well, steady on, stiff upper lip and all that. Hopefully the medical people will find waht's going on.

You are type 1 right?

4 mins ago, fishing pete said:

I didnt know you had high sugar. I will definetly look in to that.

*sly you are addicted to the sugars and gluten.

I quit drinking rumplemints and dropped 50 pounds. The dr said  I was at 7 so loose 10lbs get some eorsize. I lost 50 and was way more active since I wasnt lugging that around. A year later its 13. A week ago. I still drank and ate what ever i wanted. Waiting on the meds. And trying to find ones that arent so costly right now.

Pretty sure some places like shop rite, price chopper, have free diabetes meds. Walmart might even. Not sure what meds.

This is interesting that one of us started this thread. I just got my news last week. I was thinking of starting a thread since I dont really know any one with it. I was talking to Red a little.

Honestly I was on a binge eating and partying since I was 13. No kids no real responsibility. only to myself. It was a good run.

I will be asking you guys for info in the coming days. Thanks.