RKG1

Looking for recommendations on rod/blank

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I am looking for recommendations on a rod or blank for a specific strategy I would like to try on snappers and pargo, etc., from the rocks along shorelines in Mexico.  I am looking for a rod that will cast light lures of about 1/2 oz to 1 1/2 oz but still have the backbone to pull the fish out and away from the rocks.  My strategy to be tested is to toss light weight but larger lures like Sebile Magic Swimmers softs that won't sink right away but instead will float and swim with the wave wash reflecting around the rocks and hopefully be less likely to snag the rocks.  Since I will be casting from shore or a boat I don't think I need surf rod casting distance.  I am more looking for something with a casting sweet spot in the stated weight range, and the necessary backbone to deal with these big fish in tight spaces. 

Any rods/blanks out there that will meet these criteria?

Edited by RKG1

There is not many rods with which you can cast 1/2 oz lure and has backbone for pull big pargo from the rock.

If you fish from the surf, I recommend 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rod.

You can use light 1/2 oz lure as well as heavy Magic Swimmer.

Big 40 lb pargo was landed using the rod in Mexico.

The retail price is only $195.

suzuki96pargo.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the rod I am looking for needs to be a travel rod... 7' to 9'?   

I have found these blanks below.  Are these what I am looking for?  Can the MH and H ratings be trusted to cast the advertised lure ranges stated?

MHX TR9053MHX 7'6" H 3 piece 12-25lb line 1/2 - 2 oz lure fast

MHX  TR9063MHX 7'6" 3 pc 15-40 lb line 1-3 oz lure mod-fast

St. Croix SCIV 4T76HF3  7'6" 15-30  3/4 -3 fast actio

St. Croix SCIV 4T76XHF3 17-40  1-3 fast action

Check out rodgeeks blanks;

I had a 7'6" 1/2 - 1-1/2 inshore custom built for albies which also handeled small keeper sized stripers very well.

Soft tip to get small metals out and surprisingly thick in girth with a good amount of backbone in the mid section.

EDIT: just saw that you're looking for a travel size.  This is a one piece blank only.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

1 hour ago, RKG1 said:

Raven, do you have experience with either of the SCIV blanks listed above?  Anty knowledge of actual lure range sweet spots?

Just use of a cousins custom 9ft 1-4 mmf, personally I loved it, it felt more moderate that moderate fast but still seemed like it had the backbone of a mhmf and he had more than the average amount of guides in it and they were all braid guides. To me the sweet spot seemed around 2.5/2.75 ounces

Edited by Ravens52988

I don't know what size of reel or kind of reel you are thinking of, but a few rods come to mind that should have the power you need, cast what you need to cast, and are travel friendly.

The 8ft St. Croix Mojo Cat Medium power 2-piece rod, comes in spinning and baitcasting versions. This rod has a 50/50 split, it casts 1/2oz to 3oz, 2oz is the sweet spot. It is a composite design that has enough strength to handle most fish and durable enough to handle getting banged around while traveling. I have used this rod for almost everything under the sun both feshwater and inshore saltwater in Florida.

The second rod just came out, I haven't gotten a chance to use it, but it looks very promising as a travel rod. It is the Okuma Record Chaser, it comes in lengths 7ft6in, 8ft, 9ft, and up to 12ft, all 50/50 2 piece splits. Casting weight is 1oz to 4oz for the 8ft rod.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

My .02 cents...

ODM NXD 935 or the RodGeeks XC 732 blank made to custom spinning rod specs.

I own the NXD 935 and really feel it meets the casting of lighter surf lures requirements and has tremendous backbone for bigger surf bass and bluefish. My son is building himself a custom RG XC 732 spinning for the boat and it too meets those needs. Either will work for you. Good luck.