Tuna Gear

Rate this topic

Gazooted

we have broken trevalia rods trying to turn bigger BFT.  the OP is talking 80lb class fish.  trevalias are fine for 80lb class fish - especially for the $.

when we think the fish we're gonna hook are bigger than 80-100lb footballs, nobody uses a trevalia.

other trevalias also work great for us as boat based live lining for bass rods too.

2 hours ago, Lou T said:

Talica is a fine reel nothing cheap about it. I own the Talica 25 II, but I would take a good look at the Avet Raptor. The Avet Raptor is another fine reel that gives you a better bang for the buck.

I don't mean to hijack this thread...no love for smaller two speed PENN Internationals?  Same price range.

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

43 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Am I the only one who thinks that doesn't sound like fun?

No. You are not.

The late, great, Ted Williams had a book out called "Fishing the Big Three."  It's well worth reading, buy it used and it's cheap enough.  He made a point that I think is completely true; morethen fifteen minutes on a rod, and it's not fun, it's work. 

He brought a superb prose style and tremendous common-sense clarity to everything he wrote.  

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

No. You are not.

The late, great, Ted Williams had a book out called "Fishing the Big Three."  It's well worth reading, buy it used and it's cheap enough.  He made a point that I think is completely true; morethen fifteen minutes on a rod, and it's not fun, it's work. 

He brought a superb prose style and tremendous common-sense clarity to everything he wrote.  

That's when it gets fun. Guess I would have rather hung out out with Hemingway than Williams.

1 hour ago, ksong said:

We must fish differently. :)

One lodge in Panama bought bunch of Shimano Trevala rods as Shimano advertise the rating is 50 lb - 200 lb. All rods got broken. 

Kil, where talking about a 350 pound Bluefin landed, with a scaled drag of 51 pounds in the end.  ( Fish )

Your people must of been railing, and banging the rod on the rail...:eek: ( Chop sticks )

2 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Am I the only one who thinks that doesn't sound like fun?

Waaay to much time on a fish. My friend Greg just wanted to get that fish in so we all could fish again. After that day he coined the phrase, Entry level rod...:laugh:

It was great to sea when that fish finally rose up from the depths...;) 

Edited by Lou T

1 hour ago, TimS said:

I don't mean to hijack this thread...no love for smaller two speed PENN Internationals?  Same price range.

TimS

Back in the day PENN International was the reel. Maybe someone can chime in on them.

42 mins ago, Lou T said:

Kil, where talking about a 350 pound Bluefin landed, with a scaled drag of 51 pounds in the end.  ( Fish )

Your people must of been railing, and banging the rod on the rail...:eek: ( Chop sticks )

Do you see the guy is railing or banging the rod on the rail ? :)