Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GORDONFISHERMAN

The New Stella is here

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2019 at 10:32 AM, dennysnook said:

Thought you would fall in love with that thing by now. Guess it just proves that they are not suited for the surf, but great if you love the motorboat 

The 2019 Stellas are up for pre-order now. And in the seller's description, it says "Shimano 2019 Stella SWC Spinning Reels improve on one of the best reels ever made! The new Stella has an IPX8 waterproof body, is more rigid, can handle impacts better is a little bit lighter than the previous generation. Shimano has worked hard to make the reel smoother by reducing play between the internal parts. Incorporating Infinity Drive Technology the new Stella produces more torque while maintaining smoothness. The HeatSink Drag puts out 55 lbs at max and reduces failure due to an overheating drag system. Shimano has stepped up the waterproofing on the reel and it can be dunked. They paid close attention to protecting the line roller to reduce failure. Whether you're fishing from the beach or from a boat, the Shimano 2019 Stella SWC Spinning Reel is the crown jewel of spinning reels!"

It mentioned fishing from the beach and that caught my eye. It's $160 cheaper than the SWB for 10k size... Wondering if I should wait to see reviews from early adopters.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, dennysnook said:

Thought you would fall in love with that thing by now. Guess it just proves that they are not suited for the surf, but great if you love the motorboat 

I just prefer the ruggedness of a ZB.  With every Stella I have owned I am always concerned to clean them 100% after every use. Tough to do on my early morning before work trips.

3 mins ago, ged said:

I just prefer the ruggedness of a ZB.  With every Stella I have owned I am always concerned to clean them 100% after every use. Tough to do on my early morning before work trips.

Really?  Why?

Only time I cleaned my 08 was after the end of the season or when experimenting with stuff.   Never had a part fail.   It may not be able to clear sand as well as a vs/ zb but it surely can handle harsh conditions.  Is it the perception that paint and a million bearings need it?  Just curious

4 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Really?  Why?

Only time I cleaned my 08 was after the end of the season or when experimenting with stuff.   Never had a part fail.   It may not be able to clear sand as well as a vs/ zb but it surely can handle harsh conditions.  Is it the perception that paint and a million bearings need it?  Just curious

I worry about the finish of the reel.  From mid-May through Sept I fish most morning before work.  I leave my ZB in my car and try to rinse when I have a chance.  ON weekends I always have time to rinse nu rod, reels, plugs and bag, but during the week time is a premium so I don't have time.

I understand the OCD is on my part.  I just can't leave a salty Stella in my car.

1 hour ago, ged said:

I worry about the finish of the reel.  From mid-May through Sept I fish most morning before work.  I leave my ZB in my car and try to rinse when I have a chance.  ON weekends I always have time to rinse nu rod, reels, plugs and bag, but during the week time is a premium so I don't have time.

I understand the OCD is on my part.  I just can't leave a salty Stella in my car.

Ardent Reel Guard

Here is what a heavily used Stella SWB looks like. When I used to meticulous wash it daily, dry it, take it off rod, and place in reel bag in looked almost like new with the occasional scratch here and there. After a year or so when I said the hell with that it has a couple scratches now, I'm just gunna clean when it gets alot of salt spray, not take off rod, and use it like any other neglected reel I own it quickly started to look like this. This reel hasn't even been used much since the last service and cleaning, maybe few times lightly. Paint is bubbling because salt gets underneath from scratches then starts flaking, bail has been problematic because salt buildup seizes up the pivot joint if neglected, salt can buildup allowing the roller bearing not to spin and had several roller bearings go bad, and the fancy aesthetics can easily trap salt and easily build up at material changes, bail arms, and spool lip along with spool finish deterioration. The foot is horrible  aesthetically and severely pitted. While I haven't had any problems internally due to salt infiltration is isn't a reel like Staal or Z you can severely neglect with little issues. I don't ever really dunk my reels, very occasionally, so with the issues I have had can't see how I would recommend for heavy surf use unless you take meticulous care of your reels or don't care about resale value.20190201_214410.jpg.3195be94534c3480de3fc50ed49a39bd.jpg20190201_214352.jpg.94b1025b6b390f3d0e8dd22dcff9d1b5.jpg20190201_214339.jpg.5f68e0d45e6556a5ad85ed235e29d7fd.jpg20190201_214315.jpg.f1c15e2dec252bd60b0df1cdf981caae.jpg20190201_214310.jpg.40f4d701de9f3544bf30889b3ab597ba.jpg

3 hours ago, dennysnook said:

Here is what a heavily used Stella SWB looks like. When I used to meticulous wash it daily, dry it, take it off rod, and place in reel bag in looked almost like new with the occasional scratch here and there. After a year or so when I said the hell with that it has a couple scratches now, I'm just gunna clean when it gets alot of salt spray, not take off rod, and use it like any other neglected reel I own it quickly started to look like this. This reel hasn't even been used much since the last service and cleaning, maybe few times lightly. Paint is bubbling because salt gets underneath from scratches then starts flaking, bail has been problematic because salt buildup seizes up the pivot joint if neglected, salt can buildup allowing the roller bearing not to spin and had several roller bearings go bad, and the fancy aesthetics can easily trap salt and easily build up at material changes, bail arms, and spool lip along with spool finish deterioration. The foot is horrible  aesthetically and severely pitted. While I haven't had any problems internally due to salt infiltration is isn't a reel like Staal or Z you can severely neglect with little issues. I don't ever really dunk my reels, very occasionally, so with the issues I have had can't see how I would recommend for heavy surf use unless you take meticulous care of your reels or don't care about resale value.20190201_214410.jpg.3195be94534c3480de3fc50ed49a39bd.jpg20190201_214352.jpg.94b1025b6b390f3d0e8dd22dcff9d1b5.jpg20190201_214339.jpg.5f68e0d45e6556a5ad85ed235e29d7fd.jpg20190201_214315.jpg.f1c15e2dec252bd60b0df1cdf981caae.jpg20190201_214310.jpg.40f4d701de9f3544bf30889b3ab597ba.jpg

Exactly why I don’t like to fish them. I love the Stella and twin power I have and really want to use them all the time, but don’t want that happening to them. And like GED said sometimes there is no time to stop and pretty everything up afterwards. This is making me think of selling them. Too pricey to just sit and never get used. Oh the dilemma. 

On a side note. Can some one briefly tell me the main difference between the FJ and SW Stella besides the sw having a couple more bearings. Being lazy and reading up on it. 

13 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Really?  Why?

You can see what happens with mine once neglected. They need to be washed or you will get salt buildup quickly, pita once it hardens. This is after I cleaned it up and Edmund from service went through it for me. Think he sanded it because paint bubbling was way worse around the rotor. Kills the resale value quick

* (5 February 2019) I wanted to see what the actual production reels will be like before I break this news, and now that the frames for the serial production 19' Stella SW are being manufactured I can confirm this- the parallel foot is gone, and the serial production Stella SW that will hit the shelves next month will have a traditional foot with a slight angle. I will tell you about other sizes in the future when they are about to roll out of the factory.