adams54

January/ February fishing in NJ

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Neoprene football gloves, same thing as the ones sold for fishing but half the price. Cut the tip of the index finger for casting

As for the rest of the clothing, if you can wait the huge ski  closeout sales are coming up in March.

Top rate stuff, usually better quality than the stuff sold for fishing, and dirt cheap prices.

Edited by Sudsy

kinda confused with the cut the tip off the finger of gloves.........I just tape that portion to protect against the braid.......never heard of frost bite starting in your palms.....seems most folks that get it lose the tips of their fingers.....you know , the part of your glove you cut off

3 hours ago, beret said:

kinda confused with the cut the tip off the finger of gloves.........I just tape that portion to protect against the braid.......never heard of frost bite starting in your palms.....seems most folks that get it lose the tips of their fingers.....you know , the part of your glove you cut off

For me personally, I used regular gloves and neoprene glove and I was always taking the whole glove off to do stuff. Or, I would get the gloves wet and fingers got cold. Or, I got cold hands from the gloves cutting off circulation. So, now I use fingerless or I go barehanded while taking breaks to warm them up in my pockets. It’s probably counter intuitive but it’s a better end result. 

13 hours ago, beret said:

I tend to also utilize my pockets to keep my hands warm. Again your mileage may vary. Not saying it works for everyone.... certainly does not work for me on days like today (5/-5) but overall no fingers lost yet. Maybe that’s just me though. 

On 1/20/2019 at 8:51 PM, EricDice said:

For me personally, I used regular gloves and neoprene glove and I was always taking the whole glove off to do stuff. Or, I would get the gloves wet and fingers got cold. Or, I got cold hands from the gloves cutting off circulation. So, now I use fingerless or I go barehanded while taking breaks to warm them up in my pockets. It’s probably counter intuitive but it’s a better end result. 

Gloves are useful to a point, but they suck when it comes to doing anything intricate with the fingers like knot retying or even hook removal, even with fingerless gloves. I just take mine off when needed for those tasks. Pockets with handwarmers work well for quick warmup between times when you need to go barehanded.

Only thing I've successfully managed is casting with the gloves on.  Thou I hate it I can do it routinely and allows me to fish on those cold days like Thanksgiving morning.  I do remove em when switching out plugs and handling fish.  I find the neoprene gloves are essentially useless for any cold day fishing purposes.  They do not keep my hands warm and will not keep em dry.  I wasted my $$$ when I bought those.  Got a new pair of wool gloves from the Mrs. for Christmas.  She had to of heard me discussing this with friends and grabbed me a wool pair. 

1 hour ago, fishless said:

Only thing I've successfully managed is casting with the gloves on.  Thou I hate it I can do it routinely and allows me to fish on those cold days like Thanksgiving morning.  I do remove em when switching out plugs and handling fish.  I find the neoprene gloves are essentially useless for any cold day fishing purposes.  They do not keep my hands warm and will not keep em dry.  I wasted my $$$ when I bought those.  Got a new pair of wool gloves from the Mrs. for Christmas.  She had to of heard me discussing this with friends and grabbed me a wool pair. 

Now that is a keeper!

7 mins ago, adams54 said:

Now that is a keeper!

She doubled it up for the bday over the weekend and I opened up a new dry top.  Again a phone conversation she must have over heard.  I got 8 weeks to pay close attention before her bday or she may not be keeping me.  :scared:

Went out to the Marina on Saturday around 2PM.  Water was calm and clear and tide was incoming  Did not see any fish swimming around.  Lots of seabirds loafing around, saw a few dead crabs on the bottom.  Water temps about 42 F and cloudy.

Went to the Inlet and water was churning like a washing machine.  Army Corp of Engineers was at the mouth of the inlet, sucking up muck in the boat and dumping the dredge in their hold.

I cast a sebicki rig out for about and hour unsuccessfully and gave up once it got snagged irretrievably.

1 hour ago, fishless said:

She doubled it up for the bday over the weekend and I opened up a new dry top.  Again a phone conversation she must have over heard.  I got 8 weeks to pay close attention before her bday or she may not be keeping me.  :scared:

Wow she really gets an 'A' for effort. Downside is her expectations will be high. IMO its easy to shop for an outdoorsman/woman anything marketed with "Gore-tex" " waterproof" "breathable" "tactical" and 9 times out of 10 its a winner. I have nothing but problems shopping for my wife. All the stuff she likes looks the same to me. In your case 8 weeks is good....real good. Hopefully she drops some hints. If you still have no idea 1 week out..."borrow" her phone. History folder/ recent tabs. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

41 mins ago, BillHoo said:

Went out to the Marina on Saturday around 2PM.  Water was calm and clear and tide was incoming  Did not see any fish swimming around.  Lots of seabirds loafing around, saw a few dead crabs on the bottom.  Water temps about 42 F and cloudy.

Went to the Inlet and water was churning like a washing machine.  Army Corp of Engineers was at the mouth of the inlet, sucking up muck in the boat and dumping the dredge in their hold.

I cast a sebicki rig out for about and hour unsuccessfully and gave up once it got snagged irretrievably.

I was there recently..same story as you. Went a few other places...same results. One guy couldnt figure out what I was fishing for. He thought blackfish.

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

Wow she really gets an 'A' for effort. Downside is her expectations will be high. IMO its easy to shop for an outdoorsman/woman anything marketed with "Gore-tex" " waterproof" "breathable" "tactical" and 9 times out of 10 its a winner. I have nothing but problems shopping for my wife. All the stuff she likes looks the same to me. In your case 8 weeks is good....real good. Hopefully she drops some hints. If you still have no idea 1 week out..."borrow" her phone. History folder/ recent tabs. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Been married for 44 years. I give her money and say"Get what you want and let me know how I did picking it out!" Works like a charm!