adams54

January/ February fishing in NJ

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2019 at 2:57 PM, adams54 said:

The cold usually becomes a problem when the hands/gloves get wet. I tried a lot of gloves with different fabrics etc. Too thick..you lose dexterity. Neoprene...nfg. Still haven't found a glove that works for me. Dont think it exists. Not spending over 100 either. The trick that works for me are those latex coated palm work gloves. I keep a spare in the chest pocket of the waders for when my first pair gets wet. Dirt cheap option.

I’m a steelhead guy. I fish Pulaski once a month from December to May. I’ve almost given up on gloves. I’m no tough guy but I rarely wear them and if I do they are the fingerless fleece gloves with the mitten pullover. Even though I wear them, they drive me bananas. I find them difficult to fish with and worthless when they get wet. I find myself awkwardly trying to get them off while landing a fish. I’m usually better off without them even in the coldest temps. I load up handwarmers, like 5 or 6 in my wader pockets. I just take short breaks when my hands get cold and warm them up- like NFL QB’s on really cold Sunday’s. I also carry a small towel to dry my hands after fish releases. It goes a long way towards staying warm. I know none of this is ground breaking , but I was pleasantly surprised at how long I can fish without gloves comfortably in very cold weather using this technique.

12 mins ago, Rosey65 said:

I’m a steelhead guy. I fish Pulaski once a month from December to May. I’ve almost given up on gloves. I’m no tough guy but I rarely wear them and if I do they are the fingerless fleece gloves with the mitten pullover. Even though I wear them, they drive me bananas. I find them difficult to fish with and worthless when they get wet. I find myself awkwardly trying to get them off while landing a fish. I’m usually better off without them even in the coldest temps. I load up handwarmers, like 5 or 6 in my wader pockets. I just take short breaks when my hands get cold and warm them up- like NFL QB’s on really cold Sunday’s. I also carry a small towel to dry my hands after fish releases. It goes a long way towards staying warm. I know none of this is ground breaking , but I was pleasantly surprised at how long I can fish without gloves comfortably in very cold weather using this technique.

Impressive. Never tried that. Wearing gloves while being outdoors during an extended period of time in sub freezing temps is so ingrained into my mind that I never really considered not wearing them. 

On 1/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, Pad_Crasher said:

I hate when people say this lol. Even with this, you'll end up cold after a few hours outside. I make it a point to wear a stupid amount of layers when I went out on the tog boat and I still got cold.

Bass fishing is tough in winter as well, fish are super lethargic. Biggest bass I caught last year though was in February FWIW. 70 degree day lol.

I hate gloves but I hate cold hands even more. 

I take a a pair of insulated work gloves and cut the index and thumb fingers off from the main knuckle to the end on my reeling hand. Those fingers get cold and it does not help with water penetration but I try not to dip that hand. Have used that system since I was a kid. Works for me. HTH

34 mins ago, nam1969 said:

If God wanted you to fish all year round He wouldn't have invented winter!

I beg to differ, i'm looking forward to ice fishing.

To the clothing discussion. I wear a few cheap layers.

Bottoms. "Lycra", thermal, shorts, sweat pants, quick dry pants. 

Tops. "lycra", L/S T-shirt, thermal, fleece or hooded sweat shirt, cheap dry top from kohls.

Hands, I have yet to find anything worth mentioning in regards to surf fishing. Ice fishing or on boat, wool fingerless gloves.

5 mins ago, Sheisty said:

I beg to differ, i'm looking forward to ice fishing.

To the clothing discussion. I wear a few cheap layers.

Bottoms. "Lycra", thermal, shorts, sweat pants, quick dry pants. 

Tops. "lycra", L/S T-shirt, thermal, fleece or hooded sweat shirt, cheap dry top from kohls.

Hands, I have yet to find anything worth mentioning in regards to surf fishing. Ice fishing or on boat, wool fingerless gloves.

You can have my spot on the ice! :D

I have tried every type of glove out there, even those expensive kast gear steelhead gloves, only thing that ever kept my hands from getting cold are a pair of lined leather gloves, very bulky and cumbersome though.

I don’t like cold hands. Have used these gloves for many years fishing for Steelhead in very cold conditions in upstate NY to great effect. I use them Striper fishing as well but haven’t really done much of it in wintry conditions. 

FDA9DB55-0011-46C7-9CB5-C463EB131704.jpeg

20 hours ago, adams54 said:

Impressive. Never tried that. Wearing gloves while being outdoors during an extended period of time in sub freezing temps is so ingrained into my mind that I never really considered not wearing them. 

I always have my gloves with me for when disaster strikes or a long walk back to the car or to a spot, but have relied on the bunch of hand warmers to keep me comfortable. It was born out of frustration of getting hooks stuck in my gloves, dropping split shot, beads, egg sacks, tying on hooks. I’m much better bare handed as my manual dexterity begins to leave me. Loading up on the hand warmers is key as is the positive impact on your hands that keeping your body and arms really warm has. I have found similar positive results keeping my legs warm has on my feet- but I’m not going barefoot!

4 mins ago, nam1969 said:

God didn't invent Florida! Al Gore did as part of global warming!

That Al Gore has quite the resume. Did you know he also invented the internet?