adams54

January/ February fishing in NJ

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

I guess I just don't get all that cold when I layer up like that.  Before I started using the fleece base thou I felt the same way you did.  Funny thou how a tight line makes the cold go away.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:31 PM, adams54 said:

Ling? 

If there are still sand eels about the ling could come inshore

Last bucket of ling I caught in the surf was in the 1970's in Long Branch

7 hours ago, Sudsy said:

If there are still sand eels about the ling could come inshore

Last bucket of ling I caught in the surf was in the 1970's in Long Branch

Last frost fish I saw was in the late 50s, early 60s. Bygone eras.

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 hours ago, adams54 said:

The cold usually becomes a problem when the hands/gloves get wet. I tried a lot of gloves with different fabrics etc. Too thick..you lose dexterity. Neoprene...nfg. Still haven't found a glove that works for me. Dont think it exists. Not spending over 100 either. The trick that works for me are those latex coated palm work gloves. I keep a spare in the chest pocket of the waders for when my first pair gets wet. Dirt cheap option.

Question: How do you cast? I've used that type and even the thicker all rubber coated. Didn't work at all for me in any application,

I like the 'wool' w/o finger tips. Wool still keeps u warm even when wet....not so much any other fabric type glove. Neoprene sucks and is cold. Having to take any glove/mitten off completely sucks when it cold/damp, etc. for bait fishing or for throwing a lure[each time?, forget that.

But to be honest, I buy full gloves and customize by cutting the thumb, forefinger & middle finger on both hands. Then cut a slit 'around' the first joint. Then sew the edges so it doesn't unravel.

Then I can flip up the casting hand forefinger[sometimes wrapped in waterproof tape for braid] and the other 9 r still warm. Takes some time, and rudimentary sewing skills but worth it.

Or pop off all 6 to change lures, tie notes, put on bait, etc. I find that the'mitten' types that have the covers all 4 fingers other than thumb works great for bait fishing... when uncovered there is still a half wool finger for them.  The above glove type for chucking lures works better for that.

I've bought either type for $5-10....

My hands r never cold.

All that being said, when holding any rod chest high, ur hands get cold[even in warmer weather] 'cause they r level/above ur heart. That is a circulation issue. The older u get the worse that gets.

Edited by MarkG

Metal/graphite sucks the heat right out of your hands. wrapping your reel stem/seat and any bit of rod above the fore grip that you consistently keep a hand on works wonders. currently using some tennis racket grip but have used electrical tape too in the past. makes a difference on how soon the gloves come out and how thick they need to be. 

Been away for 2 weeks. Had the pleasure of having my back ripped open. 3 Level lumbar Fusion/laminectomy with hardware. Guess I timed it right. Should be back in business for the spring run. After reading all the horror stories, it hasn't been too bad. Off pain meds already.

2 hours ago, MarkG said:

Question: How do you cast? I've used that type and even the thicker all rubber coated. Didn't work at all for me in any application,

I like the 'wool' w/o finger tips. Wool still keeps u warm even when wet....not so much any other fabric type glove. Neoprene sucks and is cold. Having to take any glove/mitten off completely sucks when it cold/damp, etc. for bait fishing or for throwing a lure[each time?, forget that.

But to be honest, I buy full gloves and customize by cutting the thumb, forefinger & middle finger on both hands. Then cut a slit 'around' the first joint. Then sew the edges so it doesn't unravel.

Then I can flip up the casting hand forefinger[sometimes wrapped in waterproof tape for braid] and the other 9 r still warm. Takes some time, and rudimentary sewing skills but worth it.

Or pop off all 6 to change lures, tie notes, put on bait, etc. I find that the'mitten' types that have the covers all 4 fingers other than thumb works great for bait fishing... when uncovered there is still a half wool finger for them.  The above glove type for chucking lures works better for that.

I've bought either type for $5-10....

My hands r never cold.

All that being said, when holding any rod chest high, ur hands get cold[even in warmer weather] 'cause they r level/above ur heart. That is a circulation issue. The older u get the worse that gets.

Sounds like a pretty slick setup. Wool seems like the best option. My setup lasts me about 2 hours if Im not catching any fish. When catching fish everything heats up like magic.

7 mins ago, adams54 said:

My setup lasts me about 2 hours if Im not catching any fish. When catching fish everything heats up like magic.

Funny how that happens

23 hours ago, fishless said:

I guess I just don't get all that cold when I layer up like that.  Before I started using the fleece base thou I felt the same way you did.  Funny thou how a tight line makes the cold go away.

What brand fleece base layer do you use?  Im looking to upgrade my base layers and get quality rather that 6 layers of chitty walmart thermals.  My gortex dry suite keeps me warm on the yak but i need some clothes for bank fishing

Check out the mysterioso products. They are amazing. They have their own web site. 

You can also get them from Chris Parsons at the kayak fishing store dot com in South Jersey.

23 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

What brand fleece base layer do you use?  Im looking to upgrade my base layers and get quality rather that 6 layers of chitty walmart thermals.  My gortex dry suite keeps me warm on the yak but i need some clothes for bank fishing

I picked up mine when I was at Cabelas.  Their name brand, cheaper in price but not in quality. 

8 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Last frost fish I saw was in the late 50s, early 60s. Bygone eras.

Yep, damn shame.

Another fishery gone, for time being anyway.

Remember catching whiting, ling and herring at night off Coney Island and Long Branch piers at night in the late 60's - early 70's.

Bostons and herring in the daylight.

Late November to March.