SeaZen 21

Deep drop reel

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

what I like bout Dave is hes knows his stuff and he doesnt try to sell you what you dont need. I got the 8 ft XH Ugly Stick from him years ago whenI first bought my own gear. I was going to get a custom made and he said not to bother. That was great advice. My backup rod is a Kevin Bogan ikely built on a Calstar. The blank has no give which I dont like when fighting fish. The Ugly Stick is so much more comfortable I love that rod. 

Dave also showed me how to make his killer pre tied rigs and got all the terminal gear for me to do so. 

3 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

what I like bout Dave is hes knows his stuff and he doesnt try to sell you what you dont need. I got the 8 ft XH Ugly Stick from him years ago whenI first bought my own gear. I was going to get a custom made and he said not to bother. That was great advice. My backup rod is a Kevin Bogan ikely built on a Calstar. The blank has no give which I dont like when fighting fish. The Ugly Stick is so much more comfortable I love that rod. 

Dave also showed me how to make his killer pre tied rigs and got all the terminal gear for me to do so. 

^^^^^ this

Drove 2 hrs to go to his shop and it was so worth it when I was getting started.

Hey JoeyZac

Sounds like we do the same type of fishing. 

I think what a lot of people forget is the carry over from fishing to fishing. You do not need a rod and reel set up for each individual fish. It would be nice though. My Sea Bass set up also does Porgy, Striper, Cod... The rod I mentioned earlier is also big Bass, Black fish, Tuna, etc. I just swap out reels if too big or too small

I have not used the Avet LX yet but they get great raves. I stick with Penn due to availability and parts access. Truth is there are a lot of "Daves" out there if you shop around.

There are a lot of quality rod and reel set ups people just need to take stock of what they already have. Then move forward.

Some people also think if you fish hard and well you are raping some how...

Please don't let the few post reflect me and my fishing. I have left many forums due to ignorant posts and the related BS that follows. 

Tight Lines calm seas and fair winds

3 mins ago, Big Vin said:

Hey JoeyZac

Sounds like we do the same type of fishing. 

I think what a lot of people forget is the carry over from fishing to fishing. You do not need a rod and reel set up for each individual fish. It would be nice though. My Sea Bass set up also does Porgy, Striper, Cod... The rod I mentioned earlier is also big Bass, Black fish, Tuna, etc. I just swap out reels if too big or too small

I have not used the Avet LX yet but they get great raves. I stick with Penn due to availability and parts access. Truth is there are a lot of "Daves" out there if you shop around.

There are a lot of quality rod and reel set ups people just need to take stock of what they already have. Then move forward.

Some people also think if you fish hard and well you are raping some how...

Please don't let the few post reflect me and my fishing. I have left many forums due to ignorant posts and the related BS that follows. 

Tight Lines calm seas and fair winds

If you are talking about my comment on raping the ocean I was talking about commercial, and not rod and reel commercial. Dragging crap on the bottom destroys the structure.

Sorry if I was not clear.

b4loran;

I am not a commercial guy in any sense, so no offense taken. 

Yes ground gear does destroy a lot of sea floor and rod and reel commercial guys have my utmost respect.

I try to keep this part of my life, fishing, positive just like the information many people look to here.

So any negative comments put me off. People need to make a living. Some ways are better than others. I am no judge there.

I believe through education and involvement in our fisheries we will slowly see the erosion of the bad aspects of our industry.

Lets keep on topic. keep a positive attitude unless truly warranted and plan the next time to wet a few lines.

Tight lines calm seas and fair winds

Side note, did anyone read about the passing of the new Modern Fish act? The recreational fisherman has a voice new topic read up.

18 hours ago, Big Vin said:

b4loran;

I am not a commercial guy in any sense, so no offense taken. 

Yes ground gear does destroy a lot of sea floor and rod and reel commercial guys have my utmost respect.

I try to keep this part of my life, fishing, positive just like the information many people look to here.

So any negative comments put me off. People need to make a living. Some ways are better than others. I am no judge there.

I believe through education and involvement in our fisheries we will slowly see the erosion of the bad aspects of our industry.

Lets keep on topic. keep a positive attitude unless truly warranted and plan the next time to wet a few lines.

Tight lines calm seas and fair winds

Side note, did anyone read about the passing of the new Modern Fish act? The recreational fisherman has a voice new topic read up.

If you look up, the topic is about deep drop reels. Mwahahaha. Just kidding. 

I do agree with your earlier post though, about not needing a specific rod and/or reel for each species. That was why I started this thread...to see if what I have would serve me well if I venture out on a tile trip or two this year. I was trying to figure out if I’d be miserable using my current gear or whether it would be at least good enough. 

SeaZen

All good. I bet what you have will work fine. Just might need to change to 50 lb braid and and 80 lb top shot.

We use the big stuff since we are already targeting tuna. When tuna is slow and the conditions are good we tile or 

search the buoys for Mahi-mahi or move on.

I do love my saltiest 4/0. It has the toque, capacity and the speed if needed. It has hauled up 2 pound jigs and feisty tuna.

I have a ton of sash weights from installing windows. There are many in the walls of homes that have had the windows upgraded too, just waiting to be repurposed. 

Remember that tile all float after about 200 feet due to swim bladder swelling. If it pops off on the way up scan the horizon and get that tasty fish before the birds do. 

Good luck in your choices, let us know what you decided...

Tight lines, calm seas and fair winds.

Big Vin