SeaZen 21

Deep drop reel

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, mickrazz said:

The right fish monger will have very fresh fish. 

From some commercial guy raping the ocean. Unless it's rod and reel commercials.

How deep is your limit? 100,200,300'? 

On my buddies rod and reel boat he uses either the bandit reel, its hydraulic, and several Penn 80 internationals 2 speeds filled with braid.

There is a country mile on those.

When fishing for fun I use my extra heavy Trevala and a 4/0 Diawa Saltist star drag. It has plenty of speed and torque. Or a Penn 50 2 speed packed with braid and a top shot of mono.

What most have not said was that you only need to get the tiles up a couple hundred feet then it is keep up. Swim bladders swell and the fish heads for the clouds.

Good luck and enjoy...

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, Big Vin said:

On my buddies rod and reel boat he uses either the bandit reel, its hydraulic, and several Penn 80 internationals 2 speeds filled with braid.

There is a country mile on those.

When fishing for fun I use my extra heavy Trevala and a 4/0 Diawa Saltist star drag. It has plenty of speed and torque. Or a Penn 50 2 speed packed with braid and a top shot of mono.

What most have not said was that you only need to get the tiles up a couple hundred feet then it is keep up. Swim bladders swell and the fish heads for the clouds.

Good luck and enjoy...

What are you doing, commercial with a whole bunch of hooks? The Saltist sounds right, the other sounds like commercial Tile gear, I'm guessing.

Edited by b4loran

5 hours ago, b4loran said:

From some commercial guy raping the ocean. Unless it's rod and reel commercials.

How deep is your limit? 100,200,300'? 

I don't care about limits. I don't care about tile fishing. I don't care about commercial fishermen. I certainly don't care what you think. So theres that.

3 hours ago, Big Vin said:

Nope. Just a well equipped fishing boat. We mostly target tuna. On slow days we target what we can.

Big Vin....you raping the ocean?

As someone already posted Dave at the Reel Seat in Brielle is definitely the deep drop expert and is the best man to talk to on the subject .With that being said I will give you my take on it as I was pretty obsessed with tilefishing for a while , still am but last year had carpal tunnel and hand surgeries and did no deep dropping at all. But I spent a good deal of time and money figuring out what gear was best for me. I prefer to use 65 lb braid on my reels but know others that use 50 , personal preference. I like at least 450 yds . I started with a saltiga sa40 because I had one and it worked well but only held about 400 and on some of the deeper drops with current saw the bottom of the spool more than a couple times . With 50 lb braid it should hold enough but I would suggest an extended handle . I have also used my Trinidad 40 that worked well and if I remember correctly had good line capacity but again would recommend an extended handle . I also bought a penn Baja special and an extended handle and used that as a backup for a few years and still believe it is a good " entry level tile reel " with good gear ratio and capacity . I also landed my first tile over 50 lbs (53) with this reel. But I have a buddy with same setup who didn t like it as much , again personal preference . I believe that 4.9 to 4.0 :1 ratio is the best for this type of fishing . I then bought a jigging master pe8 that became one of my all time favorites as far as cranking power . Not even sure if these are still available but the Maxel ocean max Pe10 is almost identical  and a lot of guys like them . My other go to favorite is a shimano ocea jigger 5000p which is a great reel with the bonus feature of a spool lock which is incredibly handy when snagged.  Hope this helps.

Edited by ironfish
Correction

You want a reel with a ratio somewhere in the 4's but not as much as 5. I think 4.1 is perfect. You will rarely fish over 4lbs of lead with 2 and 3 the norm. If you are looking for a buget reel everyone I have recomended the Shimano tekota 700 to has been very happy. I would not use over 50lb braid as you do not need the extra drag. if you put 500 yds of line on your reel you will be set. i use 500 yds and a 100' top shot. this will be the line that takes the most beating from tangles etc. rarely do you loose rigs unless you accidentally drift over some lobster gear.

Its just deep water bottom fishing. As for rods i prefer an 8' rod as it helps keep line away from the hull and sometimes helps stay away from tangles. Tons of info out there if you search around.

5 hours ago, mikejd said:

You want a reel with a ratio somewhere in the 4's but not as much as 5. I think 4.1 is perfect. You will rarely fish over 4lbs of lead with 2 and 3 the norm. If you are looking for a buget reel everyone I have recomended the Shimano tekota 700 to has been very happy. I would not use over 50lb braid as you do not need the extra drag. if you put 500 yds of line on your reel you will be set. i use 500 yds and a 100' top shot. this will be the line that takes the most beating from tangles etc. rarely do you loose rigs unless you accidentally drift over some lobster gear.

Its just deep water bottom fishing. As for rods i prefer an 8' rod as it helps keep line away from the hull and sometimes helps stay away from tangles. Tons of info out there if you search around.

Forgot about the tekota , I have no experience with it but it was recommended to me as well and one of the former tilefish world record holders swears by them. As far as loosing rigs , fishing from the Hudson canyon south I would agree with Mike but if you plan on fishing to the north on the Viking my experience has been to be prepared to lose some rigs . Haven t been out with them in the last few years but made a bunch of trips in the past and back then he fished a lot of rougher bottom . The upside was you would see a lot more wreck fish and barrel fish as well as large white hake then you typically see fishing to the south . I also recommend an 8 ft rod on the party boats . On private boats I prefer a little shorter 7'6" to 7'

8 hours ago, mikejd said:

10 hours ago, ironfish said:

As someone already posted Dave at the Reel Seat in Brielle is definitely the deep drop expert and is the best man to talk to on the subject .With that being said I will give you my take on it as I was pretty obsessed with tilefishing for a while , still am but last year had carpal tunnel and hand surgeries and did no deep dropping at all. But I spent a good deal of time and money figuring out what gear was best for me. I prefer to use 65 lb braid on my reels but know others that use 50 , personal preference. I like at least 450 yds . I started with a saltiga sa40 because I had one and it worked well but only held about 400 and on some of the deeper drops with current saw the bottom of the spool more than a couple times . With 50 lb braid it should hold enough but I would suggest an extended handle . I have also used my Trinidad 40 that worked well and if I remember correctly had good line capacity but again would recommend an extended handle . I also bought a penn Baja special and an extended handle and used that as a backup for a few years and still believe it is a good " entry level tile reel " with good gear ratio and capacity . I also landed my first tile over 50 lbs (53) with this reel. But I have a buddy with same setup who didn t like it as much , again personal preference . I believe that 4.9 to 4.0 :1 ratio is the best for this type of fishing . I then bought a jigging master pe8 that became one of my all time favorites as far as cranking power . Not even sure if these are still available but the Maxel ocean max Pe10 is almost identical  and a lot of guys like them . My other go to favorite is a shimano ocea jigger 5000p which is a great reel with the bonus feature of a spool lock which is incredibly handy when snagged.  Hope this helps.

These two posts are very helpful. Thank you. 

So, why would you not want a higher gear ratio, or the higher inches per turn that the higher gear ratio provides? Say, upper 5’s or 6:1?

High gear and heavy weight it lot of work. If I was fishing a pound which is so rare I would but out a 2 speed and use the 6.0 to reel up. 

20 years ago we used Shimano TLD's. Once i got serious I got an Avet LX 4.6:1 that I put an offset reel handle on I get from aLAN tANI, That handle makes a huge difference in comfort.   I still use the same LX and I got a 113N Senator last year upon ALan's recommendation. Maxel Oceans are great they  smooth and powerful but not sure about reliability and getting parts. 

On 1/20/2019 at 6:10 PM, Kml said:

Yessir. I luvs me some tilefish on my plate. I do not have a strong desire to be the guy putting them in the bucket

I've been doing a trip every year for the past couple years now.  When the fishing is good (pending conditions)  it's actually a blast.  Most of the time you're fishing in 4-600 feet which really isn't so bad.  Those 1000 foot drops can be  tough. Pretty cool to feel them hit that far away from you. People are quick to judge this fishing when they have never tried it.

For what it's worth.............. I use an Avet LX, with 65lb braid, and a little bit of 50lb mono (30ft?) as a topshot.  We hit 700 feet deep with 2 pounds of weight no problem.  That same setup can also be used to jig/chunk with as well.

Here's the trick though, we're not going on "Tile trips," where it doesn't matter what the current is, we're fishing for Tile, period, as is the case with those head boat trips.  All of our Tile trips are really Tuna/Canyon trips, where we start off trolling for Yellowfin, and then come around 11am, when you kind of hit those midday doldrums, we change up and try to throw some Tile in the cooler on top of the Tuna.  We'll try a drop or two, and if there's any real current, and we can't fish basically straight down, then we say screw it, and move on to the pots for Mahi.

Fishing for Tile 700 feet down, with a big scope and heavy weights because of current is just no fun for us.

Scope is good. When it happens too fast then you have problems.  That's just bottom fishing from a drifting boat. It can be challenging and if you figure it out its just as much fun as any bottom fishing you'll ever do.  

And i prefer those pre-tied leaders.  Think they call them wind-on leaders.  Much smoother than a huge spider hitch connecting your braid and top shot.

Edited by Fly By Nite

11 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Scope is good. When it happens too fast then you have problems.  That's just bottom fishing from a drifting boat. It can be challenging and if you figure it out its just as much fun as any bottom fishing you'll ever do.  

And i prefer those pre-tied leaders.  Think they call them wind-on leaders.  Much smoother than a huge spider hitch connecting your braid and top shot.

I would not worry about that so much as there are plenty of good knots that are so small you don't even know it's passing through a guide.

Anyone who wants to Tile fish and is any were near the reel seat in Brielle NJ needs to go talk to Dave. You can probably even call him. He really is the Tile fish guy. 

When I saw him in July of 2018 he had already done something like 16 tile trips already for the year. If anyone has the experience to give good advise it him. And a hell of a nice guy to boot.

Edited by mikejd